Wonangatta - Easter

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:00
ThreadID: 21585 Views:2727 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Quick Trip report.

Had a great weekend at Wonangatta. Took the tougher way in from the south via Eaglevale Track towing the CT - No real worries but I'll take more notice of the contours next time. We went from about 500m to 1100m to 500m again.

Camped in a secluded spot just east of the old home stead. This was Thursday night and it was looking pretty good for a nice relaxing quiet w/e. Well by Friday afternoon it was like bourke street. Lucky there is over 100acres of river flat to camp around. Being 16years since I was there last I had no idea how popular it had become. Understandably so.

Apart from a group who decided camping almost on top of us was a good idea - which would have been fine except they also thought we would like their choice of music on Saturday night so made sure we could hear it even with ear plugs in *grin* - We didn't really notice the busyness.

We went looking for some "interesting" tracks on Saturday but most of the tracks have been sanitised - again understandably give the popularity. Hearn Spur Track is pretty steep and had take one casuality (Hilux) - and might be a challenge for some stock 4bys.

We took a look at Widow Makers but the eagle eye of the ranger and the sign "Vehicles Prohibited" put the moz on that idea. The track had also been bulldozed to prevent the more adventurous. A good modified 4b would have a chance. Anyhow we left it to try some mud holes.

My Dick Cepek's don't really like mud but I was keen to see how the other gadgets might compensate. True to form I got stuck in the first hole but got out using low 2nd and a few extra revs (The 2nd Start in auto works well in circumstances like these). My mate who has a live axle 100 and STT's had no probs at all ---- Until the next hole. During the process of releasing the clutch to have a second go - Bang! there goes his front diff. I thought it was only the IFS 100's that had front diff probs but his live axle didn't take too kindly to the shock from the sudden load release. Both of us have air lockers (Mine was to compensate for the weaker IFS front diffs). I came away from this experience glad I had an auto which put far more control over how much and when power goes the the wheels.

Because my mate was now running on 2wd we came out through Myrtleford and down the Hume. No major traffic issues.

For those interested in a great camping spot with plenty of choices even in busy times - The Wonangatta should be considered. Entering via Myrtleford is the easiest route and the quickest time wise from Melbourne. We didn't look at the route via Licola but last time I went that way it was a little bit tricker than the route north and accoring to those camped there this w/e would take longer than the Myrtleford/North route.

Let me know if you were there too.

Gaz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wazza - (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:00

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:00
Gaz,

Sounds good. I am heading up there tomorrow until the weekend. Should be great. 30 degrees in Melbourne on Friday they say, so shoiuld be nice up in them there hills.

Wazza
AnswerID: 104183

Reply By: Wetty (W.A) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 19:35

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 19:35
Just read your post. . . .
Lived in Sale for 28 years and spent a fair bit of time up that way chasing the odd moose and billygoat. It is a fantastic spot and there are some great tracks up there, even if some of them need stop signs for all the use they get! I remember taking my old commodore to the pinnacles one arvo and having to leave it on Billy Goat Bluff track till the following weekend LOL! Was surprised to find it still intact when we got back up there too.
Still, Bunbury is nice and it's a long way from the EX!
Hope you get to enjoy it more often!
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 104199

Reply By: gqpat - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:00

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:00
Sounds great have been to wonnagatta few times and around high country for those wanting some tougher tracks give the GRIMME TRK a try it has many very steep drop offs with heaps of rocks as the sign says at entrance to track take care and iwould only recommend this track with two vehicles min pref 3 and have recovery gear with you The track is located on the Mansfield Jamieson Map follow track east until end then head south to the start of the Butchers Country Track this is another great one also this takes you to the top of Zeka Spur Trk from there is a good drive into Wonnagatta Valley just completed these tracks and on average took 7-8 hrs to travel 12 Ks gives you an indication of track condition hope someone else completes this track and can give some feedback as to how they found it ??? track closes 31 May.. GOODLUCK
AnswerID: 104216

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 13:44

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 13:44
Hey GQPAT,

I'd like some more info on the Grimme Trk. I don't have the Mansfield Jamieson Map just the 1:250k scale map which doesn't show it.

Do you have a plt file? or just some Lat/Longs?

Gaz
FollowupID: 361738

Follow Up By: gqpat - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:26

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:26
Hi Gaz,
Will have my map back tomorrow will give the exact map name and gps points im pretty sure there on map its just a rooftop map from ARB or any 4wd shop should have there are several for area so i will give you right one ...Once again this track awesome and also do the butchers country track while your there .
Some fab camping spots on the McCallister river you will not be disapointed get the corrct map and getting there is easy via Jameson straightest run we went via craigs Hut ,Mt Sterling and refrigerator gap track long way but good scenery anyway send me reply to my email add and i can send you details dirct if your interested going to Wonnagatta in Nov again via Dargo Talbotville and crossing crooked and Wongarra rivers which were to high last trip and back to Grimme and Butchers track if you interested
Dean....sel300@optusnet.com.au
FollowupID: 361916

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:43

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:43
Wonnangatta - Grimme Track and Blue Plain Spur Track
Temporary Track Closure

Monday 11/04/05 to Friday 06/05/05

These tracks will be closed between Bull Plain Road and Macalister River
Track for public safety while essential road maintenance works take place.
This will involve the use of heavy earth moving machinery.
FollowupID: 362001

Reply By: gqpat - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 16:01

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 16:01
Hi RAY how long have these closures been planned for and how would you find out .
I hope they dont do to much work on the tracks it will just spoil the fun.If you read this Gaz try after these dates and let me know Thanks DEAN...
AnswerID: 104679

Sponsored Links