deisel prices

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:50
ThreadID: 21589 Views:2330 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am sick and tired of the petrol companies ripping us off at the inflated price of deisel, I have a suggestion and want to see what people think about it.

All of us ban one fuel company for a week eg we all ban Shell for the week of 1/04/05 to 7/04/05 we do not fill up any of our cars at these service stations. Then the following week we ban BP and so on. Imagine if the number of people attending the petrol stations dropped by 50% in a week! I am sure that the petrol companies would stand up and take notice and reduce the price of deisel to a fair and reasonable price as opposed to the ridiculous situation we have now.

What I would suggest is that everyone that reads the thread emails everyone in their address book and requestes that those receiving the email forward same on to all of their address book and so on. I do believe something like this was done a few years ago and it did have some success. So what do you think is it worth while???

Cheers
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:53

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:53
I agree it's a rip off, I paid over $1.30 per litre over the weekend, however it's just not going to make a difference IMHO.
AnswerID: 104146

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:59

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:59
Its simply not going to work.

The amount of diesel sold to Joe Public Verses , what they sell to Companies , means , they simply dont care.

Joe Public is nothing but a PITA as far as the Petrol Companies are concerned.

They make no profit from Joe Public buying 100l of Diesel. They make LOTS of profit from selling 1000's of litres of diesel to Transport Companies etc.

Regretably, you want to drive a vehicle , you pay for the fuel.
AnswerID: 104147

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:16

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:16
Yes and our money grubbin govt gets more GST as the price rises.
No wonder the Treas/ned kelly is smiling.
Appoligies ned for the insult.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 361647

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:28

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:28
What may work would be 50-100 ppl turning up to servos at a prearranged time, and only buying 1-2 litres of fuel. The queues would be horrendous, the volume of traffic surrounding the areas would prevent the smooth flow of any sort of traffic, the staff would be overworked for little reward for the Majors, and ultimately we would ask them to close their doors for a period of time to send a loud and clear msg to the Majors that we are sick of it.

If this happened to them on their Thursday mark-up day or other high demand period (Friday before Anzac day??) they may get the msg. A gold coin donation tin inside for the servo proprietor would be offered to offset the inconvenience.

Note that we would have a legitimate reason for being there (purchase of fuel) and so could not be reasonably "moved on".

General idea is not to just hit them where it hurts, but also when it hurts.

AnswerID: 104149

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:46

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:46
Hi,

Mate I agree in principle and am just as ticked off as everyone at the price but the reality of your idea is that the anti 4wd brigade would give us a great serve over it I think. You can hear Today Tonight now can't you - "4WD owners caused huge delays at local garages - What an inconsiderate bunch."
I think we would be setting ourselves up for a good hit.

I agree with the others. I need to fuel my cars and have to pay the prices and I really don't think that my usage counts for much at all compared to large companies etc.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 361642

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:56

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:56
If you did it to the petrol and diesel and gas bowsers, with whatever vehicle you have (car, 4WD, boat, ride-on mower, even your normal mower), it could work.

If you want to stick to diesel then do it on the outbound/inbound truckies stops, or get the owner/operator truckies themselves to do it as they are being screwed by the Majors too. Could you imagine the mayhem if the truckies only bought enough fuel to get to the next town at each stop...
FollowupID: 361653

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:49

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:49
See the reply I left you on Olimits.

You not spending $100 a week V Multi BILLION companies.

Who will win?
AnswerID: 104154

Reply By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:54

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:54
this type of action has been threatened previously...no one ever carries it out!
it will not work...they can wait till we need it!
I want to keep driving so i need to pay..its simple!! pay up
now what we do need is to convince the federal and state governmants to reduce excise and lower taxes....
AnswerID: 104156

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:25

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:25
Allterrain, full marks for trying. To arrange/coordinated a massive protest/ban one would have to be better than God. Another avenue is to go your local member/s to get the 40-50% govt taxes reduced to the level of the GST. But then they will come back and say 'we can't provide this and that if the taxes are reduced' what crap.
AnswerID: 104163

Reply By: allterrain - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:59

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:59
Sorry guys I suppose I should have been more specific, I do mean ban a service station, don't fill up your lpg car, petrol car buy a paper milk etc etc, just go to the other servo. I know people are saying that we spend bugger all in comparison to some corporations but as a group we are a large consumer. The other thing they say is that servos make a lot of money from other goods sold such as bread milk etc and this is where a lot of the profits are. A busy servo would have to have a couple of thousand regular Joes pull in to fill up in a week so imagine if no one bought there papers, milk bread etc I think people are underestimating the power of the people. It may not just have an effect on deisel but petrol and LPG, even you people that don't own diesel vehciles think of the extra cost of goods that you are paying in transport etc.

Food for thought

Jase
AnswerID: 104193

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:07

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:07
You better make sure its a big servo because if you send an independent guy broke the big multi's would just love that!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 361679

Reply By: B0XER - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:31

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:31
Has anyone any information on why such a large disparity recently with Diesel fuel as compared to unleaded petrol??

Many QLD servos are asking up to 16c a litre more for diesel - why is this so - diesel is a by-product of making petrol???
AnswerID: 104219

Sponsored Links