Buying my first 4x4

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:33
ThreadID: 21596 Views:3032 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, Im looking at buying my first 4x4. I want something I can put a few bikes in the back of ( or on the roof). I have been looking at Mitsubishi Pajeros at around the $9000 (for an 89 with around 250000km on the clock) upto $15000. I like the Pajero because of its folding chairs and good storage space and locking points on the floor. Can I please get some advise on preferred models in the same price range ( $9000 - $15000 ) and things I should look out for.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:25

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:25
G'day Phedus
Nothing wrong with your choice, but for your price range, I would look into a GQ patrol. Heaps of room inside and you should pick one up with less than 250ks within your price range. Plenty of parts and mods available.
Crazie
AnswerID: 104188

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 00:25

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 00:25
If you say you like the Pajero...... get one. My life experience is that you will always regret not getting the one you wanted first. Because you have considered the Pajero.... any other vehicle you get will not be good enough. Anything that goes wrong with it [and stuff will!].... you'll say "Damn .. I should have got a pajero"... Then again.. if you get a Pajero... you might not be happy. Go on... start with that and go through a few. Life is short. I went through five Subarus, a Hj47 troopie, Hj 45 shortie, four runner, Surf... and now a couple of landcruisers.. this one below is getting a new donk in it because it does exactly what I want... fits a half dozen bikes in the back and a few kayaks and canoes and a dozen people and and... decisions decisions.... I guess I'm not much help. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 104251

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 01:20

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 01:20
For me, 250000 km on a pajero is getting up there, assuming you are gonna add heaps more K's to that !!

Make sure you get the gearbox checked by someone who knows what they are doing.
AnswerID: 104257

Reply By: The Bog Eye Lizard. - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:39

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:39
Hi Phedus.
A couple of things. Most vehicles have a design life of about 300-350 thousand KM. This is the point at which all the bits should be able to hold together and give good service taking into account reasonable treatment and proper maintenance. Geting a vehicle with higher millage means starting from behind straight away. The vehicle could be as presented or it may have been clocked (the odometer wound back). This is absolutely endemic. 4WD vehicles have components that will stagger you with their cost. Gearboxes,transfer cases and frt + rear differentials are all extreamly expensive. Odometers are an INDICATION ONLY of vehicle usage. Wear is one thing but accident damage is another. Many many vehicles only come onto the market when they have been repaired. Let the buyer beware. It is essential that your propective purchase is inspected by a 4WD expert.Please Please Please listen to this advice. Not the hack on the corner servo but some workshop that can be recommended by 4WD clubs and enthusiasts. These workshops are easily found cause they charge like wounded bulls. Your vehicle inspection is not a process to be done by the lowest possible bidder.
Secondly many second hand fourby's have lots of groovy accessories already fitted that can be had for just about nix. Work-out the applications for this vehicle and if you need Spotlights, Bullbar,winch,snorkel etc. In other words shop around. In your price bracket I would almost say, don't purchase from a yard. They will charge full market..then a bit more then fight over the warranty with the last breath left in their bodies.
Thirdy.The vehicle. A Pajero is in my opinion a very underated option and probably suffers a bit from being yesterdays fashion statement. These are well thought out and durable vehicles that are more than capable off road. The V6's are a good donk that have proven to be durable in service. The Turbo Diesel is a Gem but will cost you a Motza to repair BEWARE.
Good luck buying second hand can have risks and returns. I Purchase brand new because of these risks. Enjoy the Pajero.
AnswerID: 104325

Reply By: phedus - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:19

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:19
Thanks for all the help people, the more I look into it the more I want to get one new, I keep hearing about the huge costs and potencial problems I can have with a dud 4x4. I'm also looking into Nissan Prados. I wont be towing anything untill I can afford a boat so would I be right in think that mabe a 4 cylinder petrol or desil is the way to go? I have bough a few 2nd ahnd cars before, some went great for ages and some just plain sucked, nothing but drama after drama and I'm keen to avoid these delemars as much as I can. Is there a 4x4 that truley excells in durability and that wont cost the earth to get serviced?

Thanks
AnswerID: 104373

Follow Up By: Mark- Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:41

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:41
Hi,

I own a Pajero (2000 NL) and a GQ patrol 4.2 diesel.
The Pajero has great bitumen/dirt road manners but the GQ IMHO is about as durable as they come. It feels truck-like in comparison to the Pajero but I dont mind that. Mine has done 490,000 km and apart from a clutch and injector pump service has virtually never been touched. I'd say it literally goes better than it did when new. You can easily get a good 4.2 Diesel GQ for between 9 -12k these days. Beware the 2.8 diesels and 3.0 litre petrol versions - both used a weaker car-type gearbox and could be considered underpowered in a 2+ tonne vehicle. Thats not to say the 4.2 diesel has power to spare but the torque peaks a LOT lower making for a more driveable vehicle. Just my opinions.
FollowupID: 361782

Reply By: Davoe - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 22:29

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 22:29
wayyyy to much for a paj of that vintage for around 10k I would be looking for a 60 series as with those ks it is just run in and for 15 I would be looking at an 80 with around 200k on the clock> If you like the paj I would be looking at 5-6k with around 250k
AnswerID: 104387

Sponsored Links