79 landcruiser over heating

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:53
ThreadID: 21608 Views:9364 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
my 79 series ute keeps over heating on hot days i have looked all thru forum and fond a few idea's any way it has after market turbo (safari) 3inc exhaust bull bar spot lights have been removed new termostat, hoses, radiator has been cleaned termo fan was replaced non genuie since replaced it with old one after adding new oil and i have just put oil cooler on i gess i'll have to wait for hot day to try it out again .the ute only gets hot at 110km+ or when towing at speed ,the exhaust temp after turbo is around 450 c at 120km with max temp around 590-600 (foot flat) i have been in contact with safari they sagested getting radiator from fdt 79 series but seeing they have the same part number does not seem too be much of a advantage oh and it does not use any water and as soon as you back off it cools strat down but the hot the temp gets the slower you have to drive to stop it getting hot as slow as 80 km hour thats if you want to keep the air con on any surgestions would be good thanks wilbur
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wilbur - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 23:05

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 23:05
ops tryed to change a few things sorry read other one sorry
AnswerID: 104239

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 23:32

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 23:32
wibur
>my 79 series Ute keeps over heating on hot days
how hot is hot?
how overheating is overheating?
some more info may help
Richard
AnswerID: 104240

Follow Up By: wilbur - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:01

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:01
thanks for replying it spent 3 days in the red line when we went fishing up north and could not get it to run any cooler (unless i sat on about 20km) any days over 30 seem to make a diffrence. the air con turns of at about 3/4 the temp gauge is corret.
FollowupID: 361707

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:39

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:39
towing, aircon, hi-speed having to slow down.....assuming fan and thermostat ok & radiator is Clean, symptoms point to radiator being a tad marginal.
AnswerID: 104270

Reply By: wilbur - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:11

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:11
nudenut they run aluminium radiator wich i have been told should coupe with out too many problems i have been told it could be air flow problem so i took vent of the back of bonet no diffrence i just hope the fan was the problem.
AnswerID: 104277

Reply By: fatz - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:04

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:04
Wilbur, seems to be a commom problem with Toyota 1hz and turbo. Lots on Lcool ( http://www.lcool.org ) about it recently. I have a hzj105 with aftermarket turbo and had a simular issue, not gettoing as hot as you described but definatly running warmer than it should. Get it dynoed and the fuel set correctly and you should fix most if not all of the issue
AnswerID: 104318

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 22:24

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 22:24
yep these things will stay cool with radiators quite full of seeds almost certainly turbo related
FollowupID: 361790

Follow Up By: wilbur - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:30

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:30
thanks for you input i'v turned the fuel down and all it seem to do was make it go slower i should have put a bit more info it did get hot once before i put the turbo on but as it was a stinking hot day and i was towing a ski bout at 120km i did not think to much of it as it was only running just over half.
FollowupID: 361902

Reply By: niikki - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:04

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:04
Hi Wilbur,
We have a 79 series landcruiser tabletop with after market turbo, we had the same problem as you with over heating .... The engine is getting to much fuel, we actually had to back off on the amount of fuel it got ...which made a load of difference.
Also go to toyota and buy two tubes of viscous clutch fan oil( about $10 for both) and pull the vicous fan off the engine and then pull the clutch apart and put the two tubes in with out loosing any of the old oil, then put back together and put it on, It did fix the problem. IT is a very easy job anyone can do it. you will ruin the engine if you over heat it , you don't want the needle to move at all.
This is what we did with our 4wd after costing us heaps to find out why it was over heating.
By doing this you might fix the problem and cost you less in the process..
If you have any questions send me a email and i'll send my phone number so you can talk to my husband who knows more and can explain it all better to you..
PEACE
Niikki
AnswerID: 104337

Follow Up By: wilbur - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:40

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:40
hi thanks for the info i did the fan the other day no real diffrence and as for fuel it does not go that well now (mates has NA ute and i can not catch it ) i don't think its fuel related as it does not pull that well now and never realy has thats why i put the turbo on.
FollowupID: 361908

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:53

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:53
Hello Wilbur.

OK! mate, you have done nearly everything but the most important thing.

Firstly I must make you aware that I turbo'd a 1997 75 series Troopy 1hz a few years ago.

It has never moved a milimeter abouve normal on the Temp Guage since that time including driving around the Murray Sunset park two weeks ago on the Labour day weekend in 45C(shade) heat, air con on at a 3.5T load all up.

The most important thing when aftermarket turbo-ing is the fuel delivery as pointed out by the last members to answer your post.

Over fueling in a diesel will see your temperature (yours and the vehicles) rise exponentionaly.

The only solution is (1) to have fuel pump overhauled and set for boost required.

(2) Have an aneroid fitted to pump at time of overhaul - This a boost compensation device that lets the pump know when booster is on or off. Very important for the pump to know such a thing, because it it doesn't it just keeps P MI S S I N G the fuel into the engine regardless.

(3) have the injectors inspected and if necessary what ever needs to be done to same.

I had all of the above done at time of turbo fitting on the advice of people who have a few in their life time and it hasn't missed a beat. Just sensational.

COST:

Above method $5,200

Others including slapping a turbo on, running up on a dyno and adjusting the fuel screw until it looks good. $2,500 - $3,000.

After all of the above I also had a mandrel bend straight through exhaust made and fitted by the exhaust crew in Lillydale, Melbourne who did the R & D on exhausts for Safari turbos.

This ironed out th 'turbo lag' 'quiet a lot .

If it still keeps over heating then its time to tackle all the other things which you have done.

It's my own opinion and others may agree or disagree, whatever, but when adding an after market turbo it should be done as above.

Unfortunately the mighty $ and its availablity talks as usual, however cheaper is not always better.

Oh! by the way, mine has never been dyno'd as the pump has been set at 10% BOOST and bench tested with the matched injectors. It never Overheats, goes like S H I T off a shovel, sits easily on 110 - 120kph and returns between 12 - 15l per 100K depending on how I drive it and what speed I sit on.

This may be food for thought and assist you with your problem.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 104342

Follow Up By: wilbur - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:11

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:11
thanks for the tips im going too have to talk to a few work shops i did try turning fuel down and it would not pull the skin off a rice puding ,it does not go that well a mates NA goes nearly as well. And fuel consumtion is very high around 300-400km out of a tank it has always used a lot of fuel and never pulled that well from new .
FollowupID: 361915

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:48

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:48
Me again Wilbur.

Firstly how about telling me where you are located.

Secondly I went and had a look at the specs for 79 on the net and it is the exact same 1hz that I have in the 75.

Thirdly: This is a hard one as to respectfully tell/suggest/strongly recommend to you that you cannot dick with the fuel settings of this engine unless it is done in a pump shop under controlled conditions with the injectors serviced/matched/tuened, whatever , to the pump settings for the turbo.

Fourthly: the only way that the rotary pump on this engine knows that a turbo has been fitted is if the pump has been fitted with an aneroid.

Toyota all have aneroids on their factory fitted turbo models. This has to be the clue that you follow.

If you are in Victoria let me know and I'll give you some places to ahve a chat to.

Regards

Ken Robinson
FollowupID: 361937

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:28

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:28
Morning Wilbur.

Please keep us informed as to how you go in fixing this vexing problem.

Every bit of extra knowledge/experience helps.

Ken Robinson.

If you want to talk to be about it, contact me on

krobbo@optusnet.com.au

and I'll give you my telephone number.
AnswerID: 104655

Follow Up By: wilbur - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 18:19

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 18:19
THanks will do at the point of pulling the turbo of and trowing it.
FollowupID: 362027

Sponsored Links