Cooper Discoverer A/T vs Discoverer S/T

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2161 Views:3868 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all .... Is anyone able to shed some light on why one would pick a Cooper Discoverer A/T over a Cooper Discoverer S/T, or vice versa? They seem to be an overlap in Cooper's product range.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Savvas
Checkout the following site http://www.coopertires.com.au/tyres/index.htm
The decision on tyres is down to what you use the vehicle for. I use A/T because mud is not my interest and I use them fro Road and of road and they have been great
Ray
AnswerID: 7479

Reply By: Ashley - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Savvas,
Go to the website and check both tyres out, they are chalk and cheese, totally different. I run a set of LT285/75R16 SureTracs on my 80 series petrol (LT of course stands for Light Truck these are optional and you will have to ask for them) I would spend about 90% of the time on the black stuff but could not be bothered with changing tyres every time i wanted to go bush.
SureTracs are slightly noisier than BF All Terrains but not as bad as BF Mud's, they handle excellent on the road wet or dry and are outright weapons on dirt. Cooper A/T's would be quieter it depends what your poison is but with 13mm tread depth and 80,000km warranty you could'nt go wrong with either.

Cheers Ash
AnswerID: 7482

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Try

http://www.offroad.au.com/

Theres a write up on the ST's and from all reports they are an excellent tire.

YMMV
AnswerID: 7487

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

One difference that was pointed out to me was the difference in the chip resistance in the compound. A recent trip through the Pilbara clearly demonstrated that point, when I compared tyre damage on vehicles at several camp sites.

The chunky tread on the S/Ts are quite noisy, but after that trip, I am happy to have them on my vehicle.
AnswerID: 7490

Follow Up By: Mikeys - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
Pluto, I assume you are saying that the ST compound is more chip-resistant than the A/T. I have set of A/T's and my only real criticism is the way they have chipped. They are nearly finished at 60,000k's. MikeyS
FollowupID: 3453

Reply By: Slunnie - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

From what I understand the AT has been designed as a tyre that is fundamentally a road based tyre, though reinforced and more aggressive than a highway tyre for occasional off road excursions. It really is designed for the typical recreational 4WDer. It has a tread design that is quiet, sipped for good wet bitumin grip and long wearing. The ST on the other hand was designed more for the outback resident. With so many of the roads being dirt and so much time being spent on these roads the tyre designed for these conditions were really the Mud terrain tyre. If you look at what the manufacturers state these are for 90%(ish) off road use. The problem being how do you define "off-road"? Is it Mud, dirt trails, rock hopping etc - and all of these are off road, though the requirements in the tyre needed for this is very different. The design of the Cooper ST, from what I understand, was to provide a good outback road tyre that on the otherhand performs better than the full mud on dirt roads. In reality, the ST could almost be a cross Mud terrain tyre and All Terrain tyre. It does has sips to improve wet weather grip, unlike the Mud tyres, and similar to All terrain tyres. It is also designed to hang together in rocky country. Regards Slunnie
AnswerID: 7491

Reply By: LARRY - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

I went through the mill a couple of months ago on what tyre to fit for a good all round tyre , that would lean towards being a good off road tyre but still be alright on the road. After the responces on the foram . thanks to all . I put on a set of cooper S,T, s 10 ply on my toyota 80 series . I moved off split rims to solid rims . Most say that the
AnswerID: 7492

Reply By: LARRY - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

SORRY ABOUT THAT I was cut off ..../ most say the S,Ts are a bit noisey but I find them alright Have just done a trip to vic high country and found them to be great. I do do a lot of sand driving as normal the tread will dig you down a lot faster than a highway pattern but if you let them down as you should they are great . have only done 5000 kms so far cooper back up there tyres for 80,000 kms so long as you rotate them every 10,000 kms I am very happy with cooper s,t . If you do mostly highway Iam sure all terain would be alright.
AnswerID: 7493

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Hi All
I have been looking at fitting a set of S/T's to my Disco, only problem is they don't come in an LT in my size 235/70 16 and are only available as a passenger tyre which I believe are only a 2 ply. Does anyone have any experience with the passenger rated S/T's ? i'm just wondering if they are going to be good enough as I do about 50/50 on off road.
Cheers
AnswerID: 7501

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

I have just had these fitted to my Disco2 and they have been good. A little noisy though. A friend has fitted them to his Disco, and opted for the 225/75/16 size in LT construction, which he seems to be pretty happy with. In this size they have the same outside diameter as a standard tyre. Doing so much off road work you will probably want the LT construction though. Regards Slunnie
FollowupID: 3440

Follow Up By: Winaje - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Mark, I can only echo Slunnie's comments. I have got a DII also, and have gone to S/T's in 225/75 LT16, which is so close to standard rolling diameter to not matter. They are a great tyre in most conditions, but you need to be a bit more careful in the wet with them. Also, if you have a Series 2 Discovery, why not join the AussieDiscoveryII Yahoo group, where you will find lots of info along this line, and many others. email aussiediscoveryii-join@yahoogroups.com if you are interested. Bill Church
FollowupID: 3452

Follow Up By: Mark - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Guys, I will definately check out the 225/75/16 as you recommend. I have a Disco 1 with 45mm raised springs so I guess the tyres should fit ok even if a little taller than the standard. I just checked the Coopers site and the 225/75/16 are an N speed rating whereas the current Michelins are S rated, do you know if there would be any dramas with the insurance in changing to a lower speed rating tyre.
Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 3470

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
In NSW as far as I know, you must remain within 15mm diameter of the original tyre. Speed ratings must be greater or equal to 140km/h. This is how people can fit lower speed rated muddies legally. Disclaimer: I would confirm this with the RTA's web site, and your insurance company. Regards Slunnie
FollowupID: 3504

Reply By: tim - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

savvas - i'm onto my second car with cooper a/t discoverers running 285/75/16 on alloy wheels on my gu3 and could not praise them enough - the last set we had on the car for 40000klms prior to selling and wear was fantastic - blacktop grip in dry and wet was fantastic and excellent off road too with a trip to the kimberleys via tanami and one to cape york from melbourne - when we sold the car i estimate there to be at least another 10000 to 20000 of high quality wear available (i'm fussy) - hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine - regards tim
AnswerID: 7542

Reply By: Mikell - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

I have a set af ATs on my patrol. Best tyre I have used. Great on road and good off road although if you do a lot of mud driving I would go for the STs with there more agressive tread pattern.
Regarding the warranty I am pretty sure that you have to go back to place of purchase and get a wheel balance and tyre rotation every 5000ks?? or warranty is void. Also applies mostly to purchases in metropoliton areas. This may have changed but I am pretty sure this was the case when I purchased mine.
AnswerID: 7547

Sponsored Links