off road camper trailer plans

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 23:32
ThreadID: 21611 Views:45995 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the bush in WA , we want to build a camper trailer that will go well off road, we have had a couple of rough years up here with drought, so i am asking if any one has plans etc to help me build this beast, i woul dlove to go and buy a pre made one but just cant spare the cash (don't have any). all help appreciated.

Central Wheatbelt WA

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 23:57

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 23:57
Still... my experience is that you need to buy the base trailer with matching wheels and width to your tow vehicle, good suspension, lights, brakes and linkage. Then fit it out however you want.
AnswerID: 104243

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 23:58

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 23:58
check old post re truckster there was a site that showed you how to build a ORT

Richard

Bruce Rock
AnswerID: 104244

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:59

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:59
Muka, here are a couple of places to start looking for trailer things but they still get round $3k to build them properly. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTrailerPlans1.htm and http://www.alko.com.au/vehicle/index.html for parts. You will find there are manufacturers that build with Al-Ko parts too.

I bought one at $2200 that is heavily built and two years old at the time, but no top on it.
AnswerID: 104275

Reply By: mcgra - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 20:33

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 20:33
hi

i cant seem to find trucksters old post with the link

do you know the post id

gra
AnswerID: 104370

Reply By: allaussie - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:21

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:21
if you know how to build a good trailer thats a strong one hope you can weld for starters. all trailers have the sme basic layout.height and weight and how wide it is , thats up to you. but as i work for a trailer place some people think any thing is possible so measure the how wide your tow car is then work from there. just remember that the trailer has to stay under 750kg or you will need to put brakes on it ok call me if you need any more help be happy to design another trail as i do it for my boss all the time i should start my own trailer shop cheers chris ph 33535619 or 0433288463
AnswerID: 104374

Follow Up By: Muka - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:26

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:26
Hey what an offer, if you able to knock up some plans for an off road trailer it would be great, im getting confused the more i look at, we pretty much just want to have a 7 x 5 trailer, but the canvas guy wants the top to be 75mm in the fold to sit his stuff on, we would like a basic swing out door design at the rear, then we will add are own kitchen stuff.

Your a champ.

Marty
0427 471571
FollowupID: 361813

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:49

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:49
Muka - I just went down this route and decided to use my rooftop tent as the basis of a simpler setup. Building a trailer and then fitting a fully-integrated tent was just way too time-consuming, difficult and expensive. The great thing about using a rooftop tent is that you can use it on the trailer (where ours is most of the time) or put it on the roof of the car whn pulling a trailer is a really dumb idea.

My Trailer without the tent: [ View Image]
My trailer with the tent: [ View Image]

Cheers
Chrispy
AnswerID: 104422

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:32

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:32
Gee Chrispy, that axle looks very much like an ex army 1/2 ton trl axle, ie LR 5 stud!

Neat set up!!

Matt.
FollowupID: 361828

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:58

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:58
Thanks Matt :)

Yup - that's exactly what it is. Abloke I know bought the whole trailer (ex British Army) over from Scotland with him last year. It's a VERY solid unit.
FollowupID: 361829

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:19

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:19
Yes they are exceptionally strong! Im still serving and I service and rebuild them all the time! The bodies rust out badly (it is a bath tub with a drain bung) but the axles and springs last years of abuse!

Do you have the grease nipple drilled into the outer hub cap so you just keep pumping grease into the hubs? It is a large cavity to fill but we pump a bit in there very month and only pull the hubs off every two years. The grease is usually like new!!

Still I do like your setup, its very versatile! Similar to my thinking if I ever get around to building my own.

Matt.
FollowupID: 361838

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:48

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:48
Muka, here is my idea on a great multi use and easily built setup. The most expensive part is the tent!! They all have to be made so suit your trailer to some degree, so unless you know exactly what trailer you need...makes it hard. But the roof toppers are pretty standard, just get the one that suits you best, Howling Moon etc!

Then with the trailer source an ally trayback from a wrecker, trader etc and the tent can be set up at roof height on the trayback with a set of H frames.

The rest is just built an A frame trailer, choose whatever suspension you think suits your need best and drop the tray onto it.

This creates a platform that is totally versatile.
You can tow a camper-trailer or put the tent on your roof.
The trayback can be built in later with kitchen, _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, fridge or anything you like. The raised ground clearance and apprach departure angles beat nearly ANY other design.
You sleep up high (good for up north!!)
You can fit ute style lockers around the wheel arches for more storage etc.
Huge space under the tray for a centre rear draw (like trade ute for long shovels etc).
Water tanks will fit under the tray without sacraficing clearance again!
etc etc etc

Goodluck with it what ever you choose!!

Matt.
AnswerID: 104458

Sponsored Links