Great Central Road

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2162 Views:1457 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Do you require a permit (Aboriginal Lands) for any section of the GCR between Leonora WA and Uluru NT?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: powerhouse1 - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
We went as far as the Olgas from the east a couple of weeks ago. The turn-off to the west had a sign re an additional permit being required. I don't know where this requirement starts on the western end.

AnswerID: 7497

Reply By: Wayne - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
You actually need two permits. One is supplied by the WA Aboriginal Lands Council (Webite -- ) - click on access to land and then you can apply online for the permit. Theres information on this page about the reasons why you need one etc.

The other comes from the Central Land Council in Alice Springs. Website -- Click on the Permits link and you can download an application. This'll need to be sent off to them. This permit also allows you to camp at the roadside campground about 5km's west of Docker River. Its actually a good place to stay, with running water, flushing toilets and great views from the platform at the back of the camping area.

Either will give you a permit in a short time. The WA council will email you with the permit number.

BOTH require that you CARRY the permit with you. It can be asked for. Also special rules apply regarding where you can go. Basically the Transit Permit allows you to use the GCR and not deviate off it at all.

It's a great drive across this road. Just make sure you have your permits, spares and plenty of food and water.
AnswerID: 7508

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
Please read the Permits section on this site. And also the trip journal for this road. As stated you need 2 permits, one for each side of the border and you need to make a separate application (one to the WA mob and the other to the NT). Links and contact numbers in the permits page - see under Preparation menu!!
AnswerID: 7523

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)