Generator

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:11
ThreadID: 21629 Views:4333 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Iam looking at buying a Honda 2.0 i generator for two thing one to take camping and to also run so house hold stuff when we have balck outs.
can any one tell me if these can be use in national parks as some one has told me??? up to a reasonable hour of course
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:39

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:39
Barty

Will be interested in other replies but, all I read about genies & national parks says NO!.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 104326

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:42

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:42
Generally , its a straight out NO.

Quote:

5.5 Observance by campers of camping ethics, including garbage removal, avoiding the use of detergents, practicing bush hygiene where toilets are not provided, and not using noise producing equipment such as radios and petrol-generators.

END.

http://www.npansw.org.au/web/conservation/policy15.htm

There are a few NPWS camps that do allow Gennies , but are very strict on type, noise levels and when.
AnswerID: 104327

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:48

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:48
G'day Barty,

I have used it in a National Park and the ranger was OK because it wasn't noisy (in fact he didn't realise I had one going until well into the conversation). Some parks have rules that say absolutely not but I've found them to be pretty reasonable - I work on the basis of being prepared to turn it off if there is an objection. Most isolated places don't really care.

Ran mine on Frazer on the weekend. Had lights, power for the battery charger (tops up trailer and second car battery). I run the 2 fridges from the 2nd car battery. Great for charging the camera and lap top.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 104330

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:21

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:21
I found the same thing. I ran it past rangers a few times, and they had no problems with it provided it is quiet, and off at a reasonable hour. Went to campers on either side- about 10m from us, to see if it bothered them and they didnt even know we had one going.

With the exception of staying in a place where people are setup almost ontop of each other, I am yet to have a drama.
FollowupID: 361751

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:47

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:47
Beatit,
you sound like a pretty reasonable guy, but not everyone is. One year we were camped at the Deua River Park in NSW and a guy had a generator (noisy) running all day and at about 10 pm asked (politely) if he was going to turn it off soon. As a result we had a crazed lunatic threatening violence and a generator running til 1.00 am. Also, the limited camping area was lit up like the suburbs, and we had Slim Dusty booming from his stereo.
My point is, if generators are not permitted you shouldn't have to complain to the owner to get them to turn it off. I think you should assume that people have gone bush to get away from noise and street lights, and having to make complaints.
FollowupID: 361753

Reply By: motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 23:25

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 23:25
We have been lucky enough to find camping spots of sight and sound of anyone. We got the Honda 20i to run the air con during our January trip. It is quieter than any of the vehicles that drive through the NPs. We used it in the Gawler Ra. NP SA as it was a very hot afternoon out there, and a couple of kangaroos hopped out from under a shady tree to come closer and see what the red purring thing was, before going back into the shade.
AnswerID: 104396

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:16

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:16
Motherhen,

That's an interesting post - re the Honda 20i genny. I was in Camec in Perth yesterday looking at all sorts of stuff and asked what size genny was required to run a Heron 2.2 van air con unit. The guy said if it was powered by a Honda 20i then it would run ok. Any other genny and you'd need a 3 Kva unit.

What size aircon unit did you have running off the Honda??

Thanks,

Bilbo
FollowupID: 361823

Follow Up By: motherhen - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:20

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:20
Our Dometic air con (can't find where i recorded the size) recommends 3.5 kva genny, but all the Bushtracker people on the forum who use gennies, use the Honda 20i. Don't try and run anything else at the same time though. It did "trip" 2 or 3 times with us - the power goes off but the genny still runs - just turn it off to reset and start again. The Dometic air con has heating and cooling switches so it looks like it is reverse cycle, but it isn't; the heat cycle has a heater, and i wouldn't try running that from a genny. When we bought the Honda, the dealer didn't ask about what caravan air con we had, but said it would run a caravan air con and that we didn't need a bigger one (my husband was asking about the bigger EU30i or running 2 20i's in tandem). It is an inverter type (pure sine wave) so suitable for modern equipment that the cheaper converter type gennies aren't.
FollowupID: 361933

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 23:31

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 23:31
Someone mentioned on here a few months ago about the fire restrictions in national parks, which cover carrying or handling petrol.

I run my gennie only in daylight hours, unless completely alone.
AnswerID: 104398

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 07:22

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 07:22
Barty

Just checked my SA desert parks handbook.
Page 45. Genies O/K between 7am & 10pm.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 104407

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:58

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:58
Wish I had been around as much as some of the respondents to your question...to know that generators are vorbotten in ALL national parks....

We have an EU20 and we run our caravan aircon & microwave. It is also used as back up power during the regular SE QLD black outs and runs a fridge and freezer on economy mode just fine.

Some parks, such as Kakadu have designated generator areas in their camping grounds as does Coburg Peninsular in Arnhem Land. We found that most parks in Nth Australia don't have a problem with them as people "really" need power when camping.

Our descision to buy one was based on the free use we saw of them on our trips and the need for flexible power for other uses...When you pull up in the caravan in 40 degree heat and turn that aircon on, it is all worth it.

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 104463

Follow Up By: boshie - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:48

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:48
I knoe it's off the track abit but what did you think of kakadu & coburg peninsula What time of year were you there. Did you do any fishing?
We are heading up there in june this year and I would appreciate any information of where to camp? ect.

boshie
FollowupID: 361993

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 02, 2005 at 11:12

Saturday, Apr 02, 2005 at 11:12
What size is your microwave?I have a small one and would like to be able to run it off a genny.Does it have to be a Honda one or will one of those bunnings one do the job? Is it safe to just hook it up and try or should one be a bit more careful ?,Thanks ,Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 362077

Reply By: Spango - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:05

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:05
Here in the Cape Range National Park North West Cape WA there are designated campsites that are no generators, the rest are okay for the use of a generator, there are set times. These days most generators are very quiet and as some respondants have said you can hardly hear them.

Cheers
AnswerID: 104488

Reply By: motherhen - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:23

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:23
I can't remember which parks, but did notice in parks we visited that generators were permitted between certain hours eg 7 am - 10 pm.
AnswerID: 104603

Sponsored Links