Dual battery setup for Hilux Dual cab

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2164 Views:19101 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at fitting a dual battery kit to my 1989 Hilux dual cab (LN106). I would prefer to put the 2nd battery in the engine bay but need to move the air cleaner to do this.
I have considered putting a Surf aircleaner in which would sit further back in the engine bay.
Has anyone done this type of modification and if so how did they achieve it?

Thanks
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goodsy - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
A lot of stuffing around to put a second battery up front. Easier to put in ute. The engine bay not best place for battery anyway, to hot and not enough room. Place close to cab (less vibration) and run at least a 10mm (I ran a 25mm) cable otherwise you'll have a lot of volt drop.
AnswerID: 7509

Reply By: RAY - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

I have seen several hilux utes with two batteries. They have fitted two 400 amp batteries side by side on the battery tray but turned round sideways.Looks good and works well, one for starting one for the fridge
AnswerID: 7511

Reply By: DUNCAN - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

My old lux came from the auctions with dual batteries and the air cleaning rotated to the back of the engine bay. I thought it was great the air cleaner sits higher than standard further back in the bay still managed to fit a safari snorkel to. The best thing was it looked factory.
AnswerID: 7513

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Duncan,

Curious about the air cleaner being rotated to the back of the engine bay. I have heard of this being done previously but only with mods to the air cleaner itself (shifting the inlet and outlet pipes). Do you know if your air cleaner is original or modified? Any chance of a pic?

Cheers
Steve
FollowupID: 3445

Follow Up By: Paulr - Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00
I converted my '97 dual cab to dual battery setup by moving the original air filter housing rearwards and inline with the motor. Both inlet and outlet pipes on the air box housing were cut and re-welded, aligning directly with the inlet manifold and snorkel inlet. Original air filter arrangement still used the only "problem" being that the spare battery must be removed for air filter maintenance (no big deal).
The above modification allows for a very neat engine-bay layout as well as eliminating the need for both battery in the back of ute and extended cables to the rear.
My contact is paulr@atomaer.com.au for photos or more info.
FollowupID: 3479

Reply By: DUNCAN - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Steve
I don't have any pics but I can draw one up and send it via email to you. Yes I do think it was modified.
AnswerID: 7515

Reply By: Gazza - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Steve,

How you shoehorn the battery into the vehicle is not an issue I can comment on but i can say that I have used both engine bay mounting and remote mounting arrangements with success.

herever you mount it be sure to use some "convoluted" tubeing to double insulate the positive cable because a short cct is not a good look!!

I have some strong views on the configuration however which differ significantly from the mainstream.

It comes down to two differing philosopies on how to do it.

Most folks have a deep cycle battery for the fridge and seperate the feed to the fridge then use some pretty fancy controlling logic to keep it all charged.

My issue with that is

1) You stop for 2 days and your fridge drains your deep cycle battery.

2) During that time you listen to the radio or CD, run your water pump for water and the kids leave the interior light on.

What do you have??

Not one but two flat batteries!!!!, how does that help you???

Even if the deep cycle is still good and you do carry jumper leads, a deep cycle battery is not useful for delivering starting loads and may be damaged by a heavy start.

If you follow my method you will always have a fresh battery for starting, because I run everything off the cars main battery thru the original wiring and I have the spare cranking battery connected via a solenoid that is only activated when the ignition is on or starting so you pull in the soleniod to start and it stays on to top up the spare battery whilst running, when you turn the engine off the spare battery is isolated thus protecting it for a start.

Simple but very effective, only problem is when the main battery doesnt have enough juice to pull in the solenoid, in this case I have a switch to use current from the spare battery to pull in the solenoid and start the car.

This is such a cheap and effective method that it doen't get much support from the aftermarket 4WD suppliers who prefer to sell $500 switching units.

In either case both batteries should be checked annually or before depating on a remote trip.

Gazza.

AnswerID: 7518

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

I just bought the full house Piranha system for my GQ, and have plenty of good reports on it. Cant wait to get over knee reconstruction to fit it!

You dont mention what you want the Battery system for... Winching, Fridge/lights etc..
Parallel system is better for winching, but not for lights and fridge.

For the Surf though, try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Toyota_Surf_Australia/ 200+ Surf owners.
AnswerID: 7529

Reply By: werner - Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Steve, I have a 1994 4 Runner. I was in the same predicament as you. In the end I opted for a modified air filter from the one of the after market places as my mechanic was a bit pushed for time to do the job himself. (The second battery sits behind the passenger side headlight) The workmanship was quite shoddy with extremely sharp bends in the air tubing effectively reducing the airflow to less than the original setup.The vehicle should never have left the workshop. I opted to pay my mechanic to fix the problem rather than send it back to get fixed up under warranty. Now it looks like it was factory issued. So beware of some of these aftermarket places, their quality may be questionable. It turned out to be a very expensive exercise, much more than it needed to have been if the job was done properly in the first place. Enough of the gripe. With regards to the batteries, I run my fridge off the second battery, with the fluoro, compressor and video camera battery charger being run off the main battery. I use 2 N70ZZ (or current equivalent) batteries. The spare battery is charged up using a similar setup using the solenoid so that it is being charged when the engine is running. My mechanic has been using this system for quite a number of years without any problems. Much cheaper than these fancy kits as well. Hope this info is of use to you. Werner
AnswerID: 7616

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00
To everyone who has replied to my question I would like to say thank you.

All your info and feedback has been of great benefit to me in my quest.

Many thanks
Steve
AnswerID: 7705

Sponsored Links