Front auto locker for part time 4wd.

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 08:26
ThreadID: 21640 Views:2071 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have just bought a TJ Wrangler and was wondering if people had experience with auto lockers in the front diff of their part time 4wd's. The TJ has not free wheeling hubs so the front axle will still be turning on road presumably. Will this effect the operation on road of a front locker?

If you have found a front locker that you have liked let me know.

Cheers

Charlie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:32

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:32
Charlie, with auto lockers even in 2WD there is some noticeable difference in steering effort. That is usually eliminated by unlocking the hubs on road but you dont have that ability.
I would email off to Powertrax in the state, especially since you have a TJ Im sure they come across your rig every day. They make a few types of lockers, from the Lockrite, Dertoit style and an LSD style.

Look here link PowerTrax

there is a link for email on their website.

Matt.
AnswerID: 104470

Follow Up By: Tony J - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:34

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:34
I have a Power Trax Lock Right in my 80 series STD in the front diff and have not noticed any steering difference when hubs locked in but in 2wd to hubs not locked and in 2wd.
If you have noticed a difference then may I suggest that at fitment, the clearances weren't checked as stated in the fitting instructions. Most peoples steering problems can be traced to incorrect clearances.
I have an air locker in the rear(wouldn't put an auto locker back there) and this gives the best combination in my opion. Vehicle can steer on ANY surface and still have at least one wheel - at the front - giving drive. Note that to give drive it must be in contact with the ground. (Basically impossible to have both front wheels off the ground!)
FollowupID: 361879

Reply By: duncs - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:59

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:59
Why do you want an auto locker on a manually engaged axle?

If you fit an ARB Airlocker (do they make one for the TJ?) it is a simple task to flick the switch on the dash when you need the extra grip.

The rest of the time, when you are in 2wd etc, you will not know it is there. Also there are plenty of off road situations where you will not need the extra grip and a few where having the front end locked up will be at least a pain and at worst dangerous.

Duncs
AnswerID: 104508

Follow Up By: charlie - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 23:53

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 23:53
Hey Duncs, there is enough to spend the money on at the Mo. ARB are too expensive for just the front. I have a bushranger Max air and ARB would not use this for their lockers so this means not just locker lines and fitment but also a new compressor with just wanting a front locker. A lot of extra dosh for an air locker.

Looking for the best budget option as a lift is also on the cards at the moment. Thanks for the endorsement for the air locker it will be a bit down the track though.

Cheers,

Charlie
FollowupID: 361944

Reply By: Pezza - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:19

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:19
G'day Charlie,

I'm assuming your wrangler has auto hubs, if so, for some 'hands on experience' reply goto post 21264.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 104567

Follow Up By: charlie - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 23:57

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 23:57
Sorry Pezza mine does not if you are refering to free wheeling hubs. It disengages via the t-fer case. If you mean auto hubs as free wheeling hubs then no. If not thanks.

Charlie
FollowupID: 361946

Sponsored Links