old tyres for outback or new

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:25
ThreadID: 21647 Views:1927 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick one. Should I use the BFG AT with nearly 60,000kms on them for outback travelling or get new tyres before I go.?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:37

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:37
Get new ones before you go. Too many dramas with old tyres on rocky outback roads. 80% of punctures happen during the last 20% of a tyres life.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 104442

Reply By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:39

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:39
At 60ks they wont have much tread left on them. New ones would be less susceptible to punctures and have more grip. I'd get new ones but carry a couple of the oldies as spares.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 104443

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:59

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:59
Jackablue,

Go the new tyres for the vehicle and for the spares. If you should happen to get a flat with a new tyre and you put on a worn spare then the worn spare is more likley to get a flat. Soon you will have no spares and two flat tyres.

If the you have a choise of partly worn tyres and new ones, put the new ones on the back. 99% of flates in outback travel will happen on the rear so put the tyres with the most tread on the back.

Wayne
AnswerID: 104446

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:01

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:01
Agree with all - go NEW.
AnswerID: 104447

Reply By: jackablue - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:51

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:51
Well I just wanted some dumb opinions. I spoke to a tyre place about a month ago about getting some new tyres for an upcoming trip and he had recommended that I go on the old ones as the new ones will get shreaded, & be a waste of money & wait until I get back to get the new ones. He told me all the smart people do this.(speaking like this to me really sold me?) So I must be a dumb#^&e!. His theory was that you are more likely to get a flat due to the sidewall staking etc rather than the tread so new tyres would be no different.

I would have thought new tyres may get a flat or 2 as opposed to 5 shreaded flats on an old ones.
AnswerID: 104459

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:08

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:08
Jackablue,

I would be asking the salesman who gave this advice when was he out on the Birdsville Track or the last time he was climbing Billy Goat Bluff in the Vic High Country.

I can only give my opion based on experience just like a lot of other travellers.
Put the new tyres on before you go, it will also be cheaper to get tyres in a big city than in the bush.

Wayne
FollowupID: 361837

Follow Up By: jackablue - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:33

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:33
Wayne I was always getting the new ones, I argued my point to him also. I just thought I would put this guys advice out there, so people would be aware that not all advice is as reputable as it should be.

I also saw your other post about the balancing act on the spare.

Pitty the poor guy that goes outback with 4 old tyres & a none balanced spare because he was told "she'll be right!".

Cheers

Jackablue
FollowupID: 361840

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:39

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:39
I also had an argument with a tyre place just before we left for Kal last week. I'd noticed a little more road noise comming from the passenger rear side of the 4by over the last week or so so I took a gander at the rim. Yup there was no weight on there. Must have fallen off.

Ask the guy to balance 1 tyre, told him which one. He gave me 20 questions, how do you know it's that tyre. I don't think it's just the balance it sounds more serious, you normally can't tell if it's balance just by the sound. PIGS ASS. I said "Look mate theres no frggin weight on it"
"I'm just wasting your money if I do it" he says.
"Fine waste my money".

Turns out the Passenger Rear Tyre: 70g out of balance. Thank you.
Have a nice day.

These people really give me thebleeps.
FollowupID: 361844

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:47

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:47
Sidewall stakings are a re herring. Almost all punctures on outback roads occur at higher speeds on gravel and are tread punctures. The exception to this is if you get off the tracks and drive cross-country ala Len Beadell.
FollowupID: 361863

Reply By: niikki - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:58

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:58
Hi Jackablue,
My husband and I have done some extensive travel throughout Oz and found that there are some really bad tyres out there, and boy have we had some hassles with new and used tyres I could name them all but the list would go on an on.... BUT it is always best to travel with new ones and especially the spares,
Once we were stuck in an out back town (or should i say pub) with only a shop and a small service station for 4 days until a replacement tyre was couriered in from a major city ....
SO on our last trip up Cape York we used new goodyear wrangler's and we did not have a problem they handled any road or track conditions we threw at them, and have been home for approx 5 months and there still goin'
our next trip will envolve having extra spare's where there is room...

Peace
Niikki
AnswerID: 104462

Reply By: fozzy - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:11

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:11
jackablue
go new
its not only staking of tyres that slows you down
cheers
fozzy

AnswerID: 104465

Reply By: Bros - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:16

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 14:16
jackablue,
I am going to risk a public flogging on this topic and go against the flow. At one of the group meetings before our Cape trip several years ago, i mentioned that i was putting new Duellers on for the trip. The popular opinion was that i go with the old Duellers that were nearing death, instead of running the chance of ruining a new tyre. This i did and the only tyre trouble i had was picking up a metal thread screw at Seisia. Another vehicle (5 in all) picked up a nail at the same place. The only tyre trouble from the road was aq fracture to a relatively new BFG A/T from a rock.
It worked for me, but who knows i might have been lucky.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 104467

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:01

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:01
Been there. done that, got the Tyrepliars to prove it :)
Choice , pressure, speed and luck all play a big part. Buy new tyres but don't go overboard. New or old, if they shred then its wallet time. But you will do the wallet reaching fewer times with new ones. Another factor is that you will be travelling at relatively high speeds with lots of traffic for a long way before you get to the dusty stuff. Isn't your life and the lives of others worth the cost of new tyres ?
FollowupID: 361850

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 15:06

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 15:06
Get rid of the old ones - they will only bring grief. I used that logic once and came unstuck. Ended up buying a new set of tyres in Birdsville. Yes, it is character building to alight to examine a near new $300 tyre flapping around on a rim, but it is only money.
AnswerID: 104478

Sponsored Links