back of the car for accommodation

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:00
ThreadID: 21649 Views:2771 Replies:13 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I would like to know if there's anyone else out there who uses their wagon to sleep in, or has done, and if so, what is the best bedding to use, e.g. mattresses? I am skinny and around 170cm tall, and my daughter is skinny and around 125cm tall, so it will be for the both of us, we use a Subaru Outback 2001 wagon. I've measured the back and it's 172cm x 108cm not including the wheel hubs and back seats in the way, if you include all the way up to the back of the front seats and the wheel hubs it's 182cm x 132cm. I've used it just recently with a double bed foam mattress, and it was nice to sleep on, but just a bit bulky, so I had it made up with all the gear on top of it, which of course had to be pulled out for sleeping. Should I stick with the foam mattress, or would I be better buying the self inflating ones that you can roll up etc.?
Thankyou in advance.
Hugs
Vicki
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:31

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:31
I'd go for the comfort of the thick foam mattress anytime, or you could get the self inflating mattress and get a roll of the eggshell foam underlay to make it as comfy as the foam mattress would be and adds to the insulating. It rolls up too, altho it is still a bit bulky,.. but you have to get a good nights sleep.
Also, if you haven't got any...a couple of window socks are great for when you have to sleep in the car, you can have the windows down an inch or so to give ventilation, and you dont get the mozzies in during the night. plus the dark colours give a bit more privacy.
AnswerID: 104452

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:33

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:33
What color hair do you have?
AnswerID: 104454

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:37

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:37
I've always been worried about sleeping in the back of cars - for the cars' sake.

A mate of mine used to do it all the time, and after a few months had so many electrical problems associated with the condensation of their breath on instruments, ECU's, and anything else electrical inside the cabin. He's wake up in the morning to a nice little rain shower inside the car - dripping off everything. Admittedly, he was doing this during the winter months and didn't have the windows down. During summer he just got bitten to death. A window sock (one of the new ones used to keep sun out of the kids' eyes) might do the trick to keep the ventilation up.
AnswerID: 104455

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:54

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:54
I think if you have to unpack everything to sleep you would be better off getting a two person tent. That way all you have to do is unpack the tent and leave the rest in the car.

We have two air mattresses, and would get two self inflating mattress to put on top.

Look for a quick an easy tent to set up.

Or even look at a roof top tent if it is just the two of you.

I allways find that you never get a good nights sleep in a car, especially with two people.

AnswerID: 104460

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 15:55

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 15:55
Having slept in the car on many occasions (wet, windy, stuffed) I'd have to agree with that. But that window sock sounds a great idea, where do I get a couple ?
FollowupID: 361848

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:22

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:22
Make the window sox yourself Footloose. Some firbreglass gauze from the hardware store and nededle and thread or if you have a SWMBO then get the latter to stitch it together. We made ours for about $8 for 2. Or youy can buy thenm at Autopro for $45 pair
FollowupID: 361874

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:25

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:25
Thanks Willem, very handy info. I'm all for anything that will let fresh air in and keep the mozzies out :))
FollowupID: 361876

Reply By: kimprado - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:53

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:53
Hi,

I sleep in the back of the Prado using an air mattress and have been very comfortable. The back seats were removed and an Outback drawer system put in with an extension to the front seats (under which, there is a 60L water tank, generator and air compressor.). The only problem with this design, is you have to remove gear in order to set the bed up. I’ve now reduced this to two plastic crates which makes un-packing a breeze.
Under most circumstances, I run a tarp off the back of the car. After many years of travel, I’ve never had a problem with bugs (apart from the damn mossy which gave me an unpleasant bout of Ross River fever last year).
My only gripe is the lack of head room. But this can only be expected if a drawer system is installed.
This is quite a pleasant way to camp and beats the crappers out of sleeping on the ground.
Finally, if you do leave gear outside during the night, make sure it is contained in strong plastic containers with a lid that is difficult to remove. Dingoes for example are very creative (particularly where food is concerned). We had one bugger who dragged one to the top of a sand dune before giving up.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 104506

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:25

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:25
Slept in my old Nissan G60 many times. Had a special bed made up without having to put any gear outside. Takes a bit of thinking out. Use window sox to let good air in and bad air out....lol
AnswerID: 104530

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:27

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 18:27
If I come across a Subaru with two tired stooped gels in it, I'll know that you didn't get the right advice :))
AnswerID: 104533

Reply By: Member - PatC - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 19:03

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 19:03
I built a two piece false floor in my L/C to get up above the wheel arches. Fitted two thick foam mattresses side by side and curtains on stretchy straps for privacy. Used one of those pop out toilet rooms from Camping World to store the gear in over night. Worked fine except we got sick of packing and unpacking every day. After spending 4 weeks in the NT 2 years ago moving nearly every day we ended up buying the camper in Townsville on the way home.
AnswerID: 104544

Reply By: pauls - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 19:21

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 19:21
I have a dual cab Rodeo with a fibreglass canopy. I've made a carpeted plywood platform 300mm above the tray under which most of the gear fits. I can just roll the mattresses out on the platform top. In order to get sufficient length I have a frame which I can set up which sits on the lowered tailgate. All the components can pack away under the platform. The platform support is made of 25 x 25 x 3 aluminium queblok. I could have designed a spaceship with the amount of time it took me to work it all out, but thats all part of the fun.

Paul
AnswerID: 104545

Reply By: Davoe - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:47

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:47
reckon the 2 of you would nearly put up a 2 person dome quicker than unpack the vehicle. trick is to have a decent size bag so you dont have to roll the tent up t a ridiculous size to get it to fit back. otherwise a false floor as mentioned will get you above the wheel arches a nd leave storage space (weight is an issue here) Another option is swags the ones with hoops either end are great or a double ( Bulky option) - good luck it is great to hear of a chick getting out amongst it and passing it on to the younger generation. BTW come across a young lady at Buley roche back of her Suberu
AnswerID: 104575

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 15:53

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 15:53
Hi Vicki,

I'm guessing that one of the reasons you and your daughter sleep in the car rather than a tent is security? Many years ago I had a Suburu sportwagon "4WD" that I also slept in occasionally, similar size I would imagine to your Outback. Back then I had an idea to put a false floor in the back extending right though to the front seats, the height to be level with the top of the wheel arches. This would have actually made the bed platform a bit wider although it would have put me closer to the roof which didn't bother me but might bother some as the Subs aren't high to start with. To retain easy access to the gear under the false floor I planned to hinge it about 2/3 along its length and attach a gas strut on either side so that the floor could be raised fully at the back of the wagon giving easy access to just about everything under the floor. As for the mattress and bedding on top, I figured a couple of elastic straps stretched across the made up bed when not in use would keep it in place when the floor was raised. Obviously things like a car fridge or esky wouldn't fit under the floor but I figured they could ride on the bed when travelling and could be quickly and easily lifted out of the vehicle at bed time and left overnight either outside or on the front passenger seat. Anyway, that was my plan although I never actually got around to it. Sounds like a bit of mucking around but if you know someone handy (maybe even yourself) they could rig up this setup fairly easily and cheaply. Hope this helps.

:o) Melissa

AnswerID: 104677

Reply By: Darylive - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:07

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:07
Vicki,

The simple way is to gat a swag. They are now available from $100 for a simple one. Have alook around they come in different sizes from thing single to king size double. Roll it out when you want it or leave it rolled out in the back materess and all. Nothing beats a good foam matteress, bugger those blow up things. I have tried a few, including self inflators they are all a bloody nusance, especally if you have two on board. you rise and fall every time the other farts. (another good reason for the window socks.

Pack your stuff in soft bags and chuck on the front seat.

Also if you have a swag you can roll it up when not used and when the opportunity arises to stay with a friend take it inside. A convential materess is two big and two heavy. Go the Swag.
AnswerID: 105328

Reply By: Darylive - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:09

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:09
Vicki,

The simple way is to get a swag. They are now available from $100 for a simple one. Have alook around they come in different sizes from thin single to king size double. Roll it out when you want it or leave it rolled out in the back matress and all. Nothing beats a good foam matteress, bugger those blow up things. I have tried a few, including self inflators they are all a bloody nusance, especally if you have two on board. you rise and fall every time the other farts.
(another good reason for the window socks).

Pack your stuff in soft bags and chuck on the front seat.

Also if you have a swag you can roll it up when not used and when the opportunity arises to stay with a friend take it inside. A convential matress is two big and two heavy. Go the Swag.
AnswerID: 105329

Sponsored Links