Long range fuel tanks - problems?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 15:51
ThreadID: 21654 Views:2675 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Am thinking about getting a long range tank fitted to GU Petrol Patrol - need the exra range . I have seen a long range tank split up at Cape York , so would appreciate any comments about best to get ..... at present I think the replacement 145 litre (for the 90 main) gives the best return for money .
Have done a search on this forum and have viewed some negative comments.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:02

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:02
"I have seen a long range tank split up at Cape York "

That's where mine cracked! The local mechanic at weipa said the locals don't use them.

Leroy
AnswerID: 104487

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:29

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 16:29
we have had long range tanks fitted to our work 4wds for a long time - seems to be a lack of quality control is the problem - identical vehicles - identical capacity tanks from the same providers - some split (varying distances travelled) and some don't. the 4wds all operate the same areas and the same conditions. have tried a number of different suppliers and all seem to be the same. they have all been quick however to either organise repairs or replacements but not much help when you are looking at a 100 litres disappear into the dirt halfway up the canning. we are now not bothering to fit l/r tanks and running 1 x 200l in the back - easy with a trayback but until we can actually find a product that will do what it claims and is fit for purpose then this is the best alternative. and no we haven't had a 200l drum split yet - something to do with simplicity in construction????? rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 104500

Reply By: Jolly - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:31

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:31
Lizzard,

I worked for Main Roads WA in Derby and Kununurra as a mechanic and we were constantly welding up leaks on the tanks that were fitted to our vehicles, Not sure of brands as they were fitted in Perth before the vehicle was sent up, Though i must admit these vehicles used to cop a fair flogging, Used to always crack along the seems and where the mounting brackets were welded on. Easy enough to weld up on the Diesels but id be a bit worried about trying on the petrols,
AnswerID: 104515

Follow Up By: Jolly - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:42

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:42
Pressed enter a bit early......Bloody things.
FollowupID: 361861

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:45

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:45
For years I have been agonizing over whether to buy one. Nothing but praise from other 4wders that I know. But after reading the experiences of you guys I'd rather carry a few jerries as I usually do. I don't want to be stuck at Windy Corner watching my fuel drain away :((
Just out of curiosity was it mainly main replacement taks that split or other ones ?
FollowupID: 361862

Follow Up By: Jolly - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:55

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:55
Footloose
We only ever had main replacement tanks (Fitted to Hilux's and Rodeos)
All the cruisers came with standard main and aux and thats the way they stayed
Jolly.
FollowupID: 361866

Reply By: Jolly - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:41

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 17:41
Lizzard,

I worked for Main Roads WA in Derby and Kununurra as a mechanic and we were constantly welding up leaks on the tanks that were fitted to our vehicles, Not sure of brands as they were fitted in Perth before the vehicle was sent up, Though i must admit these vehicles used to cop a fair flogging, Used to always crack along the seems and where the mounting brackets were welded on. Easy enough to weld up on the Diesels but id be a bit worried about trying on the petrols,
If i was after one i would be looking for the following,
*Material Thickness (Thicker the Better)
*Distance between baffles (Closer they are the sturdier the tank,helps stop any
flexing)
*Look for one with a basic shape,Have seen some that have been built up like a
pyramid to take advantage of any space available,Problem being you end up with
20,000 welds...More welds, more chances of leaks
*Pay attention to mounting brackets (Are they mounted in spots were there is flex
etc..)

Hope this helps,
If you find a good one,Let me know...I'll be chasing one towards the end of the year..
Regards,
Jolly..
AnswerID: 104516

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:00

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:00
I have reorganised the back of my truck to accommodate 6 steel jerry cans giving me a 210lt range in the 4.2 diesel GQ(I discount the 5 litres in the bottom of the tank) I know it is a pain to refill with jerries but I have become so used to it. The cost factor is another thing. Not much under $1000 to reorganise with long range tank/s and then you have the potential problem of them splitting
AnswerID: 104555

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:53

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:53
Hi Willem. Any reason for the steel Jerries ? Don't the new plastic ones last in the bush ? Or was it just that you have a good supply ? (At over $50 ea I wish I had :)
FollowupID: 361920

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:00

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:00
Hi Footloose

Whats your real name?

I have two plastic jerries which I carted petrol around in my previous truck. I found that there was always a slight petrol smell inside the cabin, as if there was a vapour leak. I am giving these jerries to my mate at cost.

I have a huge collection of steel jerries. Mostly new, some old. Jerries were bought for between $40 and $55 each.
FollowupID: 362036

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:10

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:10
Hi Willem, the birth certificate says James but I prefer Jim :) Actually you can call me anything but late for dinner.
I used to carry a large number of metal ones, but they rusted away in the shed. Even the good ones developed leaking seals after a while...a fact one usually discovered by filling them with fuel at the garage and tipping them over to check:(
Perhaps I bought the wrong ones. Anyway I ditched them and the new plastic ones have come along. Now I'm wary of fuel in plastic, even if it is diesel. I wouldnt put petrol in them, old habits die hard. But I'm going to give them a go. Here's hoping. ($20 ea is a big saving on 3 or 4).
Started the trucks preperation this week. Seals and wheel bearings. Next is timing chain and water pump. Then it will be time to look at the clutch and cooling system and brakes.
If fuel goes up more I might have to swap it for a pushbike.
When are you off on your big trip ?

FollowupID: 362038

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:15

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:15
Hi Jim

If you are passing by peterbrough some time I can help you out with some jerries :o)

We are off on the 17th and possibly back home by mid July. Am dreading the outback fuel cost but have resolved to drive at a steadier pace. This morning I tried 80kmh in the Xtrail on cruise control but Oh so Slow!!! Could even count the sheep in the paddock along the roadside...hahahahaha But if we have to economise then we will!
FollowupID: 362039

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:29

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:29
Willem, I normally drive that slow, because the emus always hide in with the sheep....or maybe its just my eyes.
We could end up almost running into one another. I am planning on leaving May/June but only away for 3-4 weeks....I can't stand myself for any longer :) If you hear Q4223 on 737 then you know who to avoid.
FollowupID: 362041

Sponsored Links