Swag V Tent

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2166 Views:3403 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Reading the archives about Swags.

Now Im nearly sold on the idea, but now reading a few more things in the archives, is there any real space saving for say 3 people (2 AD, 1 baby practicing for next one) with 2 swags V tent 2 sleepin bags etc etc. Got a portable cot for kid.

Sleeping bags are the ram into the carry bag ones, go down to about 1ft square, and work in snow... Tent is rather large, but needed for cot, but not too bad when folded up

Just getting confused the more I read and look into this!

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rob - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
With kids a tent would be better for them on a rainly day. You can get tents these days with one pole & very easy to throw up.

How would you all go playing in a swag on a rainy day;-)))
AnswerID: 7507

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
Yea I was talkin more the single over night stop trips like outback, Im not much for base camp trips, too restrictive as you always have to be back!

Thanks for the thought anyway
AnswerID: 7516

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Truckster, I'm a tent person because swags take up a loy of room, but the reason I am replying is to comgratulate you on not letting a baby stop you from camping and travelling as is often the case. Good on you. Mal T.
AnswerID: 7519

Reply By: Pluto - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

When space saving becomes an issue, the kinds of materials used in the shelter (be it swag or tent) will have more effect than the type of shelter. If you still like the idea of swags, but don't like the bulk, try looking at bivvy-bags, which will pack down to the size of a rolled up newspaper. Tents on the other hand provide greater comfort, especially in foul weather. Consider dome tents, as they are usually lighter and more compact than their canvas counterparts.
AnswerID: 7521

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Truckster, David and I have looked at all the pros and cons of travelling with our child (now 2yrs old) and the options of swag, tent, camper trailer. We have had 2 big outback trips with her at 8mths then at 19mths. We have also travelled extensively on our own with various styles of sleeping arrangements and have travelled for 2yrs around Australia towing a trailer. We are now planning the switch to swags for the big outback trips. And on base camp style trips we'll go the full comfort and take a camper trailer rather than the tent.

Half-way through our last trip (desert) we started sleeping out rather than pitching the tent. I love the simplicity of it. We just slung a tarp off the car's roof rack out to the side and peg it down. We layed out a ground sheet and slept on our thermorests with the same sleeping bags you have. Leah (our daughter) was in the portable cot and under the tarp - she loved it! So we feel we've tested the atmosphere for the swag purchase. We'll get a double and a single for her.I think for base camp trips or for families with more kids there is merit a really good camper trailer but at the moment our trips aren't of this style. I anticipate that in the next few years we'll be doing a lot more of that.So, I think your decision is going to be personal. It's not really an issue of one option being "better" than the other. Your travelling style and your family lifestyle is personal and so your choice of sleeping arrangements should be based on what feels right to you.
AnswerID: 7522

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks people, lots to think about.

Space saving wasnt the *total* idea behind the swag, ease of camping was! Drive till ya want, and camp is ready in 10 mins..

With the dome tent, trying to keep nearly 3yr old occupied at dusk/dark while dad and mum set up the tent, air beds, sleepin bags, portable cot... Then try to cook dinner, clean up, collect firewood, chairs, etc, AAARRrRRGGGGGGHHHHHH... WHY DO I DO IT!

Yea Cameron (son) has come 4wding with me and him, since he was 2, he sits in his chair and LOVES IT. Sits on me lap as we go thru creeks etc, lookin out the window, now that he is nearly 3, he thinks he runs dads car!

Camper trailers to me are a scam. Way over priced for what you get. $10,000+ (the ones I looked at or I have expensive taste) box trailer with a tent on it! No more than $3000 of camping gear tops included in most camper trailers. So profit is MASSIVE.

I have everything that comes on a camper trailer, kitchen, tent, etc.. Even if I didnt have everything to go camping, trailers are still over priced box trailers to me. Can get a box trailer for $400 new. Camper box trailers start at $2000.. Go Figure.

Also I like 4wding on the more serious side than just fire trails, which usually involves reversin, and winchin lots... so trailers are killers.

Thanks again people.
AnswerID: 7526

Reply By: Bob Y. - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Truckster, Swags are the go if you've got the room, just roll them out, no tent or fly to block the view. Perfectly suited to inland Aust. maybe a tent for the odd storm - no worries this year though. But I don't ever unroll mine until I'm ready to get into it, keeps out the wildlife then.
AnswerID: 7545

Reply By: Kevin - Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
Truckster, You said that your practicing for the next baby so I wouldnt recomend 2 swags!!!! Have fun Kevin
AnswerID: 7618

Reply By: Pete - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Bruce..

Not sure how mobile you are these days but a swag is great for those
weekends away with the blokes, but with a tent is probably better for two and a little one..(keeps the peace) also shelter if the weather turns ordinary... I have both a Darche swag and a Darche Tent, I'm more
than happy with them.. The tent only takes 5 mins to put up and has no centre pole.... some others have that as an option...
If your buying a swag look for one that has hoops as the weight of canvas on my legs used to annoy me till I updated to one with them..
Knowing some of your history from the patrol forum a king size one to give you plenty of moving room may be the go..

Cheers PC..
AnswerID: 7638

Reply By: Melissa - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Truckster, No disputing that swags are a great time saver, but I'm yet to see any decent swag that would in triplicate, be a space saver over a compact tent, sleeping bags, mattresses etc so I reckon you can take that aspect out of the equation. Points raised about kids in the rain etc is very valid (speaking from experience). Why not cover all bases and carry say a 3 person dome tent as well. They are so light and compact you'd hardly know you had it, except when you need it. Regards, Mel.
AnswerID: 7703

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00
Hi,

We have used a double swag for some years now, well before the now common typical wedge shape came out. We designed one and had it made to suit. Since I have a wrecked back we chose to use an inflatable rather than foam matteress. I've head all the con's for inflatables but have never in 10 years had a leak so maybe it's just good luck. Our set up allows for a very small roll- width of a patrol and approx 300 dia and no more than 5 min to set up. We have used it for day and 4 week trips but only this trip have decided to move up and use a tent and stretchers, just getting sick of swagging it and all the hassels involved. But for speed you can't bet it. Only suggestions, go for the finest mesh possible, sandflies are attracted to co2 and as you face is close to the walls it can be a very painfull experience. Secondly have as many windows as possible, we have one each side and back and the top is fully screened and canvas. The biggest hassles we have found are heat and sandflys and generally they are together.

Happy swagging.

Ray
AnswerID: 7897

Sponsored Links