Stone chips

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:01
ThreadID: 21671 Views:1606 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My son just bought a 02 model Falcon ute and it has a couple of stone chips on the bonnet. How do you repair these now that vehicles are painted with 2 pack. My experience of painting stopped when they moved away from acrylic laquer. In the acrylic days it was just a matter of cleaning the metal, coating it with primer then a coat of blade putty and some top coat with sanding in between.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:05

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:05
if they are only small stone chips, just brush touch them. Get your cars 2-letter colour code off your engine plate, rock up to a panel beaters and get a small jar made up. Also get a small jar of hardner for you to mix up later so the unused paint doesnt go off.
If its a metallic it really wont work on larger chips, but just dab the brush in the cleaned chips. Let them fill with paint, let dry for a bit and wax smooth.
AnswerID: 104598

Reply By: Kata - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 23:10

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 23:10
Hi Meggs

From a mate who is an assembler at a panel shop and repairs his own car, as Benspoon stated go to panel shop and get some paint from a panel shop and get some paint made up or get some touch up paint...comes in a nail polish container bottle...whateer the techical female term is... from Ford and then ...(after the ford paint is dry of course)... this is what I have seen the mate do is use his wifes clear nail polish and apply it over the top of the touched up stone chip....its like a coat of clear

hope that makes sense

cheers
Kata
AnswerID: 104611

Follow Up By: Member - Meggs - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 07:48

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 07:48
Thanks for that Benspoon and Kata. I never considered just brushing the stone chips. As a supplementary question with the older stone chips what would you suggest to neutralize any rust and would you use a primer then the top coat if so is the primer a special or would the ordinary acrylic laquer primer do.
FollowupID: 361957

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 23:38

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 23:38
a dose of ranex as per directions should sort that
AnswerID: 104741

Sponsored Links