CAPE YORK IN MAY

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:46
ThreadID: 21686 Views:2164 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Is anyone going up to the cape around the middle of May?
Will be in Cairns about the 15th and Weipa about the 23rd and was hoping to meet up with some fellow travellers to do the telegraph track etc as my partner and i are travelling solo.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duncs - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:12

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:12
Sorry Ruffstuff I can't make the Cape this year (I realy am sorry!!!)

Just some advice, we did the cape in May 99 and were given some spurious advice from different places,places we were told would be reliable and helpful. As a result we missed out on a lot of things we would have liked to look at.

In May 99 the place was pretty well still under water, rains from a cyclone in March. Sound familiar?

The most accurate advice we got was from the tourist info in Cooktown. National Parks in Cairns were the worst, they simply did not want us to go anywhere and told us tracks were under water when we had spoken to people who had just travelled them.

It was a similar story in Weipa. My advice is to listen to everyone and check it out for yourself. If you find somewhere wheree you can't get through go look at something else and try again in few days time. Water level do change quickly, in 99 the Archer dropped about 6m in two weeks.

Finally there will be heaps of people in Weipa ask around and you will find someone to travel with.

Trust me when I say I am sorry I can't join you. The Cape is probably the best trip we have done and we would all love to go back. Have a great trip.

Duncs.
AnswerID: 104652

Reply By: Well 55 - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:35

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:35
The Caravan Park in Weipa is the best place to start for upto date info, and maybe meet up with some fellow travellers.

Thw x-ing at the Archer is closed but falling an dmay even be open, call the roadhouse for an update.

Most of the last rain fell to the south of Weipa, my son in law flew out at easter and won't be back for a few weeks, other wise I would get the latest on conditions for you. but that can all change in the next 6-7 weeks.

Don't be to afraid to go it alone just use caution.
AnswerID: 104660

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 16:38

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 16:38
Hi Ruffstuff
We are heading to Weipa either on 13th or 15th May (got a 50th birthday to go to on 14th so haven't really decided yet)
There will be at least 2 vehicles and you are more than welcome to tag along if dates suit.
Mate, we go to Weipa (Mapoon) every year and never had a problem in May, although sometimes we do go in Sept/Oct
It is no big deal to travel to Weipa on your own if you are reasonably well prepared.
As mentioned in the above replies, the Archer River can be problem but it usually drops quick and unless they get some late rain it shouldn't be a problem in May
Besides it's not a bad spot to spend a couple of days anyway
Member message me if you want more info
Cheers Poppy

P.S. We aren't going to the tip this trip, just to Mapoon (80ks north of Weipa)
AnswerID: 104689

Reply By: Pezza - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:42

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:42
Hi Ruffstuff,

Don't be afraid to go it alone, I went on a bike (motorised type,I'm not that silly) in 2003, from brissy to the top and return on my own. I followed the telagraph track to the jardine then went across to the ferry to fork over my $40.
As long as you have most of the basic self recovery gear for the 'just in case' a map and eperb, comms etc, you won't have a problem.
You won't need any of the recovery gear as long as you don't try any of the silly options on the crossings. I saw one of the older 80's baby s--t yellow subaru and a stock standard rav4 complete the telagraph with no damage.
Just be sure to walk the crossings before taking the plunge.
Also remember that you won't be alone up there at that time of year, there will be plenty of help or company ( depending on your cucumstances)
if needed come past every half hour or so.

Good luck and just do it.
Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 104718

Follow Up By: Pezza - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:45

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:45
Forgot to add that the 2 vehicles mentioned did the telegraph only to twin falls, from there they took the dev. rd. to the ferry.

Pezza
FollowupID: 362042

Sponsored Links