Highway tread tyres off road

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2170 Views:2681 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Are there any highway tread tyres strong enough for the very occasional tough road? My Bravo ute came with 8 ply LT road tyres which have not seen any problem yet so I question if I need a very agressive pattern. Realistically 99% of my driving is on maintained bitumen or dirt roads, and I suspect this is common.
This year I was a passanger on a Cape York trip run by Oz Tours and they run 10 ply road pattern tyres on their OKAs. 850x16 LT I think. Not sure of the brand. When I questioned this I was told that although there was some loss of traction there was also a huge saving in cost, both initially and from reduced chipping from rocks. They still manage to do most of the Telegraph track without winching.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
Phil,
You didn't mention what brand/model your tyres were and weather they were the factory fitted originals. Most standard tyres that come on base model Hilux's, Bravo's etc, are usually aggressive and tough enough to withstand the annual 3-4 week adventure into the outback. However when in muddy or extremely rock country, the tyres will suffer in the performance dept. However, a good driver will always be aware of the 4w4's limits and make the right choices. As you said, 99% of your driving is on the black stuff, and that is what you have to aim your tyre choice towards when saving money. The only other option, when you have the spare cash, is to get hold of 5 second hand rims and fit some good offroad tyres, then wack them on when heading bush. Then your covered for the 1% of the year when you really want to test out your bush driving skills.
AnswerID: 7540

Reply By: Eric - Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00
phil.
I would stick to you road tyres. Get a good compressor so you can drop your tyre pressure in a muddy spot. road tyres with low pressure will out perform luggy tyres with high pressure.
Eric.
AnswerID: 7563

Reply By: stevesub - Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Take a set of chains for the tough stuff but you will probably never need them if you drive properly. We have always used road tyres and very rarely needed to use our winch or get towed in the mud which is what we look for. We have got through mud on road tyres when others on mud tyres have had to be towed/winched
AnswerID: 7564

Reply By: colin - Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Have just done a trip with 5 other vehicles, Bris, biirdsville,lake eyre,oonadatta track, all around alice and back to brissy via the plenty h/way. All the tyres that let us down where jap made bridgestone and kumo. The ozzy made bridgestone and one vehicle with coopers never got one puncture, all 6 vechles where also towing camper trailers. Fridges where another thing we had 3 3 way fridges all different ages all let us down and where a drama to keep going 1 wacoe which stopped working when we got onto gravel roads and 1 explorer which never missed a beat and kept meat frozen for the whole trip, hope this info helps . Col
AnswerID: 7579

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Dunlop Road Grippers or "Telstra Tyres" as they are known are probably the best all rounders. Don't give a high mileage though. Have a look around for a cheap secondhand set for going bush. Cheers, Willie
AnswerID: 7581

Reply By: phil - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks to all who replied. I was expecting a raft of comments along the lines of "you would be mad to use road tyres" It seems that other people like me do not want to be involved in the "extreme" aspects of 4wd touring.
Phil
AnswerID: 7648

Sponsored Links