Dust in camper or caravan

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2172 Views:5133 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Jayco outback and I was wondering has anyone solved the problem of keeping the fridge going and keeping the dust out?
I know that the dust can be minimised by covering up the fridge vents but that effectively stops the fridge.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: johnsy - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
meggs you need to pressurise the van .one way of doing this is to mount a second hand air cleaner to the vehicle and a flexible hose to a fitting allowing air to increase the pressure inside the van .
AnswerID: 7553

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00
Talked to a traveller once who fitted a snorkel to his camper van. Made the snorkel the same height as his LC and according to him it worked a treat. Cheers, Willie
AnswerID: 7580

Reply By: mudgutz - Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
cant be fixed ...........buy a dust buster..........
AnswerID: 7604

Follow Up By: Janset - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
mudgutz your a pessimist

Cheers
FollowupID: 3507

Reply By: Janset - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Meggs. I am sorry to hear that you have a dust problem as I just bought an Outbacker and it looks like I will be having the same problem.
The answer to dust proofing is as mudgutz said, you can't stop it, (completely) but it can be reduced...... I will explain. Many years ago I towed a caravan across the old Nulabour road. Every time we stopped, my wife cried as the van was completely chockers with dust and she had a major job of cleaning the red dust out. About the end of the 3rd day I had enough also. In desperation I opened the roof vent about 2 inches. This vent had the facility that I could open it to face forward, unlike the ones that I have seen of late that only open to the rear..... The next time we stopped, the dust in the van was reduced by about 98%. By the end of our travels the vent had busted :(
To add a bit more, when I first bought my 4WD, the only camping setup that I had was a 7 X 5 boxtop trailer that was fitted with a cage and canvas awning. To stop the dust from getting in, all I did was unzip the top of the forward facing window and it worked quite well in keeping the dust down...... How to pressurize the van.......I had fitted to my boat, and I have seen this fitting in caravan shops, a round stainless steel vent like gadget that the center backing plate can be rotated about one inch to open vents. I intend to get one of those..... Now all I have to do is to figure out as to how I can install it to face to the front of the van and have it sited as high as possible off the road surface.

Regards
AnswerID: 7641

Follow Up By: Meggs - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Janset I note the comments from Johnsey and Willem as to pressurising the van. I thought there may have been an easier way as I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has done it before.
I haven't used the van in the outback but blind freddie can see there will be a problem with the vents. I have spoken to others who have taped up all the vents and just use the fridge in the car and haven't had any significant dust probelms.
I wanted to just keep the internal fridge cool and save the cool down time when I stop for a few days but I am now of the opinion that I will be using the Engel when outback and if I stop for some time remove the vent covers and use the internal fridge.
In the mean time I will have a good look at how the vent works on the top of the van.
FollowupID: 3509

Follow Up By: Janset - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Meggs.
I think that you will find that the roof vent on the Outbacker is of no use as it is very flimsy and it faces the wrong way. I think if you open it you will cause a vacuum rather than pressurizing. The vent has to be facing forward so that air is forced into the van, hence my proposed round s/s thingy.......... One question though Megg, when your roof is raised have a look up at the front top corners on each side of the tent where they meet the roof, do you have a small rectangular mesh covered vents sewn into the tent, or is that an addition on new models like mine in an attempt by Jayco to pressurize the van?
Regards
FollowupID: 3510

Reply By: Bill C - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Meggs
I think the only realistic way to go off road and dust free is to use a tent. I have a caravan and took it off road once - and never again. I now have a top quality centre pole tent, fridge, stove etc and can travel dust free and also much further and easier than people towing vans/trailers/campers. The caravan is kept for the hard top as should all campers etc.
Cheers
AnswerID: 7657

Reply By: Member - David - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00
I have a Jayco Eagle Outback and do a fair amount of off road travel.

The most effective means that I have trialled yet is as full length cover from the rear of the car to the front of the van. Not only does this stop a lot of stone damage, but also pushes a lot of the dust down and under the van.
The outback's also have a small forward facing vent on the roof at the front which can also be used to pressurize the van.
Whilst I do get some dust in (this is inevitable) it is not at a disastrous level.The ast trip to Rudall river from Newman(800km round trip) did not present any dust dramas
AnswerID: 7725

Follow Up By: Janset - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
Hi David. You have lost me. Do you mean that the cover (what kind?) is laid horizontal to the ground above below the drawbar? If so how do you secure it to the van/tow vehicle and if so how does this go when you turn the vehicle, does it not drag on the ground. You also mention a small vent, I can't see one on mine, where is your located?
Regards
FollowupID: 3589

Follow Up By: Member - David - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00
Janset

The cover I use is a cut down section of a reinforced vinyl tarp.
Basically what to do is hitch the car to the van and measure the "square" section from the rear of the vehicle to the front cross member on the draw bar.
Remove the jerry can holders / gas bottle and lay the tarp over the top of the draw bar. Cut a small slot for the brake lever and other bits anf then bolt down the jerry cans and gas bottle.
You will need an eyelet in each corner of the tarp.

Secure the van end with cable ties or rope to an hook fitted to the draw bar.
THe front of the tarp is secured to an appropriate place on the rear of the vehicle with elastic jockey straps of sufficient length to be just tensioned when hooked up. As it is the vehicle turning, this is wher the flexibility is required.
I have a 100 series Landcruiser and the straps pull around to hook on the mud flap bracket inside the wheel arch.

The vent I talked about is about 1 m back from the front of the van roof. It is a small rectangular section lid with a spring clip inside

Hope this helps. Post a response if you have any more questions.

FollowupID: 3608

Sponsored Links