Help with setting up a 94 GXL Landcruiser

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:07
ThreadID: 21763 Views:1996 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

the plan has worked with the boss now driving the Frontera (she originally had the same mindset about 4bys as Scruby) and allowing me to buy a 94 GXL Landcruiser after experiencing some minor off road fun.

I am still looking for the right one and I am trying to find one that has not been off the black stuff to often.

I would appreciate any advice on how to set it up once I get it relating to type of bull bar, winches, Lift kit (how much lift ) and tyre type and size.

Please feel free to advise if there is any mod you made that you would now consider changing, ie didn't lift it enough.

I plan to use it off road quite a bit and attempt more challenging tracks and situations as my experience improves. Therefore it seems sensible to dish out $$$ now to set it up right.

Thanks in advance,

Rengatt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Karl - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:50

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:50
Mate, I have a 91 GXL Series 80 4.2L diesel with a DTS turbo fitted.

First thing you need to decide is Petrol or Diesel. If you go Diesel then I would suggest saving a few dollars and buy a normally asperated one and fitting an after market turbo - don't listen to the so called horror stories that the 1HZ diesel is not designed for a turbo, they are a very good motor and respond wonderfully to the turbo - if in doubt ask a real expert.

Suspension - you need to decide what type of use you need it for. Are you towing alot or not, are you going to carry a heavy load in the back - if so then look at getting a good set of shockies and springs (you can go named brands and pay a fortune or off the shelf and save dollars) but don't have to stiff of a set of springs in the rear. Go a set of medium to heavy and fit Polyair Air bags (or similar) for the times when you need the extra strenght. As far as lift I wouldn't go above 50mm as most insurance companies and Transport dept are frowning on anything higher.

Tyres - choice is yours but I would go a good set of AT's over Muddies unless you are off road all of the time I can not see the worth.

Bull bar - I have a Smart Bar fitted and I would reccommend them to any one; however, if you go steel or alloy remember you need to match your suspension accordingly. Same if you want to fit a winch.

On winches do you realy need it - how often are you going to use it - if one of your regular trip mates have one then you migntn't need one - it's up to you.

I would would fit a snorkel and some sort of Diff locking system - I have the Lockrite as I couldn't afford ARB Air Lockers.

Also look at an air compressor if you regualary let your tyres downs - something you should do when off road.

Most important of all a good recovery kit - Snatch strap, shovel, axe, rate shackles, gloves, a decent jack etc.

I could go on but I am now entering an area where my head says do it but my heart (and SWMBO) say stop.

Karl
AnswerID: 105066

Follow Up By: Twigiee - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 13:28

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 13:28
Sorry Karl, disagree on the comments about the 1hz engine (I also have a 91 gxl 80 - with factory turbo). There is a heap of information available about the bearing problems experienced with this engine when fitted with a turbo (I'm sure many 80 series TD owners will agree).

They are a very powerful and economic engine when fitted with a turbo, but there is a swag of information regarding the bearing problems which result. I recommend having one fitted, but you must be very careful to adequatly maintain and monitor the oil system/bearings to prevent failure.

...my two bobs worth, Twigiee

FollowupID: 362252

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 13:48

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 13:48
G'day Rengatt
Great to see that you're enthusiastic but it may be an idea to turn it down a notch or two. Rushing in isn't the answer. I reckon it would be better to build it up as you go and as you figure out what you do and don't need. The very first step would be to learn to drive the thing properly - the last thing we need is someone else out there tearing up tracks and/or getting into trouble because they don't know what they are doing. If you are an experienced 4WDer please ignore these last comments. If you're not I recommend joining a 4WD club - not only for the learning aspect but also you'll get to see heaps of different setups and you can discuss them with the owners to determine whether they'll suit you. The few $ it costs will be easily recouped in ensuring you get the setup right from the start.

AnswerID: 105080

Follow Up By: Member - rengatt (VIC) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 16:02

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 16:02
Hey Moose,

advice taken on board, I am currently looking to book a training course with a couple of mates that I will be travelling with, (at least we will have been taught the same thing).

Have the opportunity to spend the money now, as the wife may pull in the purse strings at a later date so need to set up fairly well.

No fears of tearing up tracks as the guys I anm currently going out with drop blokes out of their group if they play up.
FollowupID: 362265

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 13:51

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 13:51
"with a couple of mates that I will be travelling with"... Get a UHF for sure!
It bleep es me off no end when mates in convoy keep merrily cruising along not noticing everyone else has stopped behind them. Also great for entertainment and local emergencies/safely performing recoveries.

Winch- I went with a hand winch instead due to the fact you can easily winch any direction you need. (maybe i should drop the "easily"). As mentioned, the full recovery kit is essential.

33" tyres will fit in, but will drop some of your power. Cetainly worthwhile though as it lifts your diffs off the ground. A dowside to getting the 94 model- It is likely the update (larger brake discs than earlier 80's) and thus you will need to get 16" rims and tyres, not the significantly cheaper and more common 15".

I went for adjustible shocks and love them. harden them up for highways, soften them up for rocky tracks etc. Yet to get the in-cab adjuster kit, but no rush.

Obviously, try and get one with as many aftermarket bits as possible (towball, rear wheel carrier, roobar, racks) as it will save you a packet.

I have 2" lift on front and 3-4" on the back, but the car sits level with the loaded rear _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx. I wish I had gone a little bigger on the front- I dont get as much articulation as I'd like at the moment.
AnswerID: 105268

Reply By: Patroleum - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 20:31

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 20:31
Rengatt,

Good Choice.
I have a 94 GXL 4.5Petrol. Bought it standard. Went 2in Lift King Springs,Koni Shocks, Fitted UHF, Cd Player, Cooper St 285/75/16 Tyres and the Best option,
Frt&rear Air Lockers. It is brilliant off road in this combination, looks reasonably original but is brilliant off road.

Good Choice - Enjoy

Greg
AnswerID: 105319

Sponsored Links