menindee lakes

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:48
ThreadID: 21765 Views:3504 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Heading up to Broken Hill in next few days. Considering stopping over at Menindie Lakes, anybody been here lately. Heard that water levels were down? Any good camping spots, sights etc. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 13:35

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 13:35
Whenever we are out that way we always camp in Kinchiga N/P, on the river road hot showers only a couple of k's away for a small donation and only a short drive into Menindee for supplies and the Ambermarle Hotel(spelling).
For recent water levels try www.waterinfo.dlwc.nsw.gov.au

Athol
AnswerID: 105079

Reply By: Mark (Geelong) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:37

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:37
I was there 5 weeks ago and the main big lake is dry
The sunset strip village was looking over a dustbowl (very sad looking)

I didnt get into the Kinchenga park and had a ovenight stay at caravan park in Menindie by the Bridge

Mark (Geelong)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 105174

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:54

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:54
dublediff,

I live in Broken Hill and we travel to Menindee occasionally for a day out.

The top two lakes Wetherill and Pamamaroo are both pretty close to full, this includes the swimming/waterski area of Kopi Hollow. Lake Menindee itself is dry but it is worth looking at, take some photos, it doesn't dry up very often.

As for camping spots there are heaps along the river and in Kinchega National Park. I am not going to give away any secrets but if you drive around the area you will soon find some pretty nice spots that are quiet and nothing is far from town.

Don't forget the Aeroguard, the flys are thick unless it is cool which it has been today and the mozzies are the size of pelikans.

Don't forget to check out the shed at Kinchega you will need at least an hour probably a couple to soak up the information and the atmosphere and marvel at the determination of those who made lives there 100 years ago.

Duncs
AnswerID: 105182

Sponsored Links