Terracan - Front End suspension Lift

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:25
ThreadID: 21797 Views:6142 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I have been reading that people are getting suspension lifts on the front end of their Terracans. Is this being done by winding up the torsion bar and putting in spacers? or is someone making a modified torsion bar?

Thanks
Gibbsy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ants - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 17:28

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 17:28
My torsion bars adjusters have been wound up a bit for the moment on my Terracan. I got a nice increase in ride height out of it, even taking my bullbar and other accessories into consideration.

There is one manufacturer that I am aware of that is currently doing R&D for Terracan torsion bars, and I believe they will be available around June. They quoted me around $260 a pair for the new springs.

I'm thinking that with the number of people who have Terracans in various stages of modification, the initial batch of uprated torsion bars will sell out pretty quickly!

Cheers,

Anthony
ants@tpg.com.au
AnswerID: 105284

Reply By: GibbsyWA - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 17:39

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 17:39
Anthony,
thats good news. I am not to keen to change the dynamics of what is already there but will be very keen to replace the torsion bars with parts designed for the lift. You going to keep the manufactures name a secret until you have yours?
:-)

Cheers
Gibbsy
AnswerID: 105285

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 17:57

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 17:57
Just wind em up for now, you can normally get 2"s out of torsion bars without dramatically chaning your travel. Just make sure you get a wheel alignment after your finished mucking around.
FollowupID: 362405

Follow Up By: SantaAus - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:44

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:44
I do not entirly agree with you Jeff M on the ability to get 2" out of the toision bars and still maintain correct alignment. Plus the more that you wind you the bars the less down travel you will recieve. This means if you wind them up by 1" you will lose 1" of down travel. Your best bet would be to check wha the spec hight is for your vehicle is and them re-set the t-bars to that level or maybe 1" higher, In my Terrano any higher than 1" lift via the t-bars and you can not get an accurate alignment. Not to shoot you down at all jeff, but i would be wary in doing that to any torsion sprung vehicle. (I read and just had to comment) Also regarding the lift for the terracan, you might benifit from doing some research on the web, and check out the foriegn country sites.
SantaAus
FollowupID: 362418

Follow Up By: SantaAus - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:48

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:48
Another thing to add, the higher that you lift the IFS the more stress you put on Steering conponents, CV shafts and CV boots. Thats all I think
SantaAus
FollowupID: 362419

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:49

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:49
Fair enough SanataAus but it's pretty common practice around the traps to windem 2", ferozas and jackeroos I've seen it done on with no dramas. The loss in down travel is not normally a drama as it is not a heck of alot and unless you remove the front swaybar you probally won't notice IMHO.
FollowupID: 362420

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:50

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:50
Changing torsion bars is not going to put any less on the CV's etc. The only thing you can do to change that is put ball joint spacers in. Again, for a 2"s it's not a drama and the added stress is very little.
FollowupID: 362421

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:51

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 18:51
Oh yeah I also wound up the Rocky with no alignment dramas too, I think I went up about an inch and a half on that one, aligned it no probs.
FollowupID: 362423

Follow Up By: SantaAus - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 19:06

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 19:06
I am only going on my experiences and what i have read on this issue, for various forums. And yes gong up on a IFS system will put added stress on the the cv joints due to te added angle of the shaft. Increasing the hight by 2" increases the angle by roughly (depending on the vehicle) 10 degrees. This angle might not be as server on a vehicle with a longer upper and lower a-arms, but undoubtedly it will cause added stress on conponents. And don't get upset, but i am just airing on the side of caution. That's all. And Gibbsy while i am here, if walk into a suspension place and act like you are wanting to buy they will help you with any question that you throw at them. This is how i gain most of my info and also of teh web and the exploroz website.
FollowupID: 362425

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 19:09

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 19:09
SantaAus, mate I'm not getting upset. I agree with you, ask the suspension guys. That's who origionally told me to wind the torsion bars up, severl suspension places here in Perth all said the same thing. But now I've been around IFS for longer and have a lot of friends with IFS Torsion bar setups I have seen it done time and time again with no dramas.
FollowupID: 362426

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 19:47

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 19:47
yep just wind them up unless you'v got alot of weight on the front the standed ones will take it no prob's . Most torsion bars can go up about 40mm depending on the 4WD if in doubt just go to a suspension mob and they will put it on the hoist and tell you what you can get safely.

Also if worried about CV's just jack it up at home whith a trolly jack to the hight you want it and look at the CV angel if not happy go lower. Then just tell suspention mob the hight you want. Also you dont get more travell out of arftermarket torsion bars.
AnswerID: 105312

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 19:49

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 19:49
Gibbsy,

Mine was done by cranking up the standard torsion bars. This of course reduces downward wheel travel. Accordingly the fitter trimmed 10mm from the bumpstops to allow more downward travel. Working very well so far but I will fit stiffer torsion bars when they become available as I would like the suspension a little stiffer. I've had new rear springs and shockers fitted all round which has made a huge difference but there is still a little too much roll from the front end for my liking.

Depends how much ride comfort you are prepared to trade off for handling. I have always preferred handling to ride comfort, but that's just me.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 105313

Reply By: GibbsyWA - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 00:32

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 00:32
Thanks All,
great info. I am only looking for around 20mm to go with the lift I got on the back so its off to ARB or TJM to have a chat. My Terracan is used mainly along the beaches so I can escape the world and throw in a fishing line. Most places I go have reasonable access and the kids are generally in tow so I leave the mountain goat tracks to you more experienced 4WDers.

Cheers
Gibbsy
AnswerID: 105362

Sponsored Links