Troopy Suspension upgrade.

Submitted: Thursday, May 10, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 218 Views:3176 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I need to upgrade my suspension on a 1997 troopy diesel what the go?I intend to do the canning next year?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stephen mills - Monday, May 14, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, May 14, 2001 at 00:00
Who told you you need to upgrade your suspension??

Maybe you only think this, but nevertheless why is it not suitable as is?
steve
AnswerID: 467

Follow Up By: John - Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 00:00
Steve Thanks for the reply, my suspension is sagged and tired from towing and carrying a lot of weight so there is no other way.John
FollowupID: 117

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Monday, May 14, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, May 14, 2001 at 00:00
John,We had a troopie and had excellent reliable travel for over 2 years of solid outback 4WDing. Most of the site content on ExplorOz.com has come from using our troopie. Anyway, we took the vehicle without fussing to much on suspension upto Cape York. During this trip we left our trailer in Cairns and did the trip in the vehicle only - Well the first thing that we did when we returned to Cairns 4 weeks later was to replace the enitre suspension system. I believe that the car had the standard spring packs with OME shocks. The major problem with the standard springs and our vehicle weight was that as soon as we encounted any holes in the road (bulldust covered, rain channels etc) the car bottomed out on the stopper rubbers and then proceeded to launch itself sideways up the road - No we do not travel at high speed. Most of the problems were encounted at 80km/hr on the major roads. At this time we fitted a set of 9 spring rear packs which were re-manufactured from the original springs. Both front and rear leaf packs were replaced, we opted to keep the OME shocks (lasted 3 more months). The net result was about 50mm extra clearance, a little stiffer (the only negative)and significant gains in safety. We then proceeded to travel for 2 more years continiously with this vehicle and had no problems on any road that we encounted.We fitted springs from Wilkinsons Springs however, the exact requirements are best gauged by off-road suspension experts. We would strongly suggest that you seek out a quality suspension expert and have a system configured to suit the your weight and driving requirements.Good Luck.If you are in Perth then go and see WA Suspensions in Osbourne Park - This is not a plug they are truely excellent.
AnswerID: 470

Follow Up By: John Bodel - Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 00:00
Thank you for the reply,my suspension is sagged and tired from towing and a lot of weight in the back.Russell Guest who runs tagalong trips everwhere supplied a suspension kit which I was intested in,thank again.john.
FollowupID: 116

Reply By: Jim Robinson - Saturday, Jun 02, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 02, 2001 at 00:00
Assuming your vehicle has not done a great deal in its life thus far it is probably not necessary to upgrade your suspension, but this question can only be answered by you. I was one of a party of two who did the Canning in 1999 with 2 1988 troopys and both towing Track trailers. One had original suspension although well serviced during its life regarding bushes and had greasable pins, and the other with the same arrangement but new front (Ultimate) springs prior to the trip. Both vehicles had no suspension problems and indeed not even a flat tyre between them and the trailers for the whole trip which went for 12500km. Its your call regarding the suspension modifications.
AnswerID: 584

Sponsored Links