electronic rust prevention

Before you go off! I have searched and to my surprise found nothing previous?

Well do they work? ERPS, CAT, Rust Stop, RS2000? They all claim to work but?

The cathode system works on boats because the are surrounded by water the only way it can work dry is if it has a means to carry the ions from the sacrificial adones back through the metal to be protected. Metal rusts because it loses ions and the sacrificial adode (zinc) gives up ions back to the steel to prevent rust.

No I am not Dr Karl, but I read a report he did on sacrificial adodes.

The RS2000 has a combination of cathode and electric current and claims to work for that reason.

So theory aside what is the reality?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 20:54

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 20:54
Snake oil and Hiclone sauce.
AnswerID: 105322

Follow Up By: Darylive - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:52

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:52
Thanks Rosco, very constructive.
FollowupID: 362450

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:11

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:11
DaryLive.
There are plenty of people who have tried and learnt the hard way that this is a con job. The best way to reduce rust is to wash your vehicle with clean water, not detergent and clean out the drain holes in the sills and doors. Eric.
AnswerID: 105331

Reply By: japmel - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:26

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:26
Darylive,
You would be much better off with a chemical rust proof, The electronic ones are just plain useless.

Electronic rustproofing have been banned in America, I wonder why???

Regards
japmel
AnswerID: 105335

Follow Up By: Darylive - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:51

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:51
Apparently hey.

As for washing the rig it gets a thorough going over each trip and has the conventional rust protection. People say going up the beach is no good for it but my argument is always thats when it gets its best tub and clean out.

I know of a few surf clubs that use it and claim it works.

FollowupID: 362449

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:30

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:30
Banned ??????? get your facts straight ,,,,, the only part banned was/is the usual snakeoil selling practises the good ole boys of the USA are famous for,, fitted correctly an ERPS will do the job of preventing/retarding rust ,,,,,, just for a laugh take 2 identical jars ,1/2 fill with water from your tap ,take 2 identical screws/bolts [not stainless or galvanised] attach a length of light gauge wire to each end of 1 screw/bolt ,drop screw/bolt with wires into 1 jar ,drop other screw/bolt into other jar ,,,,now the real fun begins,,, attach a small battery to the wires[double/tripple A will do] then sit both jars on your shed window sill and sit back and drink your beer as you watch for the next 3/6 months as screw/bolt 1 with no electric charge gently turns to rust and screw/bolt 2 stays as good as it was when you had your 1st ale ,,, if you wish to not drink for 3/6 months and want quicker results substitute plain steel wool for the screws/bolts,, 3 slabs and you will see a result.
FollowupID: 362458

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 07:54

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 07:54
Undertaker

You've hit the nail on the head. Your vehicle has to be immersed to complete the electrical circuit, using the water as a conductor.
FollowupID: 362476

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:24

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:24
mmm
i am sceptical...but...

if you need water for these things to work...then one would'nt want it if it was dry? no water no rust?

want rust?.. just add water...so ( and if they work) then this is when you'll supposedly need it....when its raining or your driving thru water?????????????

FollowupID: 362482

Follow Up By: Darylive - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:33

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:33
Nudenut,

Do I recall you being some kind of Watt Voltage calculator?

Watts the go with that? The RS2000 claims to put 45 Watt into the car so Watt?
FollowupID: 362552

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:25

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:25
what are you talking about daryl?
FollowupID: 362605

Follow Up By: Darylive - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:22

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:22
Nudenut,

I though you demonstrated some electrical knowledge in another chat about 12volt fridges? Maybe not.

The query was the relevance of the 45Watt claim. I have since read the brochure for myself and find they claim 45volts not watts.

retards
Daryl
FollowupID: 362751

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:03

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:03
Daryl, yes i do have knowledge of electrical...(limited to elctrical workers registration for fridgies)

but i have no idea how these so called electronic rust proofing thingies are supposed to work.......

Just adding my bit as to how they may operate...water needed to make them work....no water=no rust? so there aint any need to have one?

got no idea really!!!
FollowupID: 362822

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:15

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:15
I got talked in to one on my 96 Falcon wagon and so far it hasn't rusted... Never had one on my 85 Rocky, which is still kicking around, did plenty of beach work in it but washed thoroughly with clean water after every trip and to this day, no rust...

I guess I'm trying to say, "I have a deer with no eye's"
AnswerID: 105350

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:18

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:18
Talking about deers.

How'd you go with the smoke house?
FollowupID: 362490

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:22

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:22
. . . and what will you have if you cut the legs off that dear, Blue?
FollowupID: 362513

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:32

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:32
iMusti, got some plans for a largish smoker using a remote fire and the smoke funnelled into the unit.

Wombat, cut the legs off what??? and please don't call me "dear Blue"

How clever of the nearly iliterate man to pick on a simple spelling mistake... My brain is officialy fried, time for a stiff drink.
FollowupID: 362514

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:39

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:39
Have a stiff one for me.

If you cut the legs off your deer with no eyes you'll have "still no idea".
FollowupID: 362516

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:48

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:48
What about if I removed it's old fella???
FollowupID: 362519

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:54

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:54
A remote fire?

Arn't they hard to get to?

And when you get there you're gonna do the only aussie thing possible. Cook on it.

(with appol. to CFA members)

FollowupID: 362522

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 17:03

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 17:03
If you removed it's old fella, you would have . . . . ?????
FollowupID: 362524

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:41

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:41
still no procreating idea...
FollowupID: 362541

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:17

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:17
Mate, I'm a pretty gullible bloke by all accounts and have fitted my GU with a CounterAct system. I fitted it myself, so if (or maybe that should be "when") it starts to rust the company will probably tell me to POQ.

How gullible am I??

I also have a ShuRoo and a De-Bug unit in my fuel lines.

My GU is 4.5 years old. I have no rust yet (and wouldn't expect to have any in any case), I've never hit a Roo and have never suffered from any contaminated fuel. Now, am I just lucky, or are all these con jobs doing what they promise? I'm stuffed if I know, but now that I have them, I'll keep them. Please note however that the HiClone con job has not found it's way into my wallet or credit card (yet)..hahaha

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 105352

Reply By: Paul from Ozroamer Camper Trailers (Hire & Sales) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 07:31

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 07:31
G'day Darylive

Snake oil or not - I decided to spend the $600. on the ERPS system as I considered this cheap extra insurance against RUST on a $70k 4WD.

I also has the bitumen type stuff sprayed under!

The testimonials from the likes of Surf Clubs, Pro Fisherman, Seaside Councils and Minning companies seem to speak for themselves.

I live in Noosa and are often up the beach to Rainbow & Fraser and thought it was worth the expense.

The installers in Noosa explained that early on they even thought it was a CON but have seen to may examples of the units doing as they say.

Its only money !!!
AnswerID: 105367

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:41

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:41
G'Day Darylive,
I agree with you on the use of sacrificial adones, that's exactly how they work. I'm not a big believer in most forms of electronic protection, and I'll give you an example. I work in the commericial property management/maintanance field with trade skills as a sparky and fridgy. I recently inherited the responicibility of another commerical building which is only particialy occupied and in the throws of being referbished. I recently had the 360t chiller pulled down for inspection and for a tube clean. I found that the steel end plates of the vessel were showing advanced signs corrosion. After further investigation I found that the system had a very expensive, industry approved, form of ERPS installed. This system was found to be well serviced and fully functional. It also had a fully automatic chemical water treatment system in place. It to was found to be well serviced with all inspection reports showing no previous signs of contamination or corrosion concerns. So what had caused the signs of corrosion? ..... the plastic feed pipe from the chemical dosing system had split, effectively ceasing the chemical treatment for a little over a month, from last service. My point ( finally you say ) ... without an opperating, diligently maintained, effect chemical water treatment system, corrosion occurred regardless of a very expensive, maintained ERPS in place.
IMHO
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 105383

Reply By: Glenno - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 15:39

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 15:39
All I can add is that the Capacitive Coupling unit is what you want, stay away from the sacrifical anode (like others have said).

I believe CounterACT and ERPS are the only mobs who make a capacitive coupling unit.

As to the debate as to if the whole thing is snake oil who knows. My Hilux with ERPS has a very shiny bullbar, so thats a plus. Compared to the last truck with bitumin rust proofing which had a very dull coloured bullbar!

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 105418

Follow Up By: Darylive - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:27

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:27
Well it doesn't get any clearer does it?

The RS2000 employes the cathodes and electric pulse system and claim to have the strongest watt (45) on the market. Although more expensive the difference is negligable and it employes both systems.

The Rust Stop electric system claims to have 45 Volts? that can't be right can it?

Watts? Volts?
FollowupID: 362550

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:52

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:52
I've had the ERPS system on my vehicle for about 6 years and have made frequent and regular visits to Fraser, Double Is Pt, Bribie Is etc.
I can't prove that it works but my vehicle remains free of rust.
I've been doing the beach thing in various vehicles for nearly 25 years and have seen the results of salt and sand on all of my vehicles except for this one .... the only one I've had with electronic protection and only minimal chemical protection.
There are a few different type of electronic systems and some of them do nothing much to stop rust.
Some may say that I am naive but I would fit the same one to my next vehicle.
That's my experience .... so argue away guys.
Cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 105437

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:42

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:42
Gday Darylive,

I also have an ERPS, same as counteract. I have six pads on the vehilce, 2 on the chassis and 4 on the body.

Had the same setup on GQ as well. Frequent trips to the beach and no problems at all. My cruiser I had previous to that rusted out big time and had no ERPS.

Soooo, I feel pretty good on recommending the ERPS.

Sacrificial crap that you see in the trading post for $99 has been known to make rust worse (because it doesn't work).

Cheers

Chris.
AnswerID: 105444

Reply By: ev700 - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:51

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:51
ERPS should be cheap for car makers to use, so why don't they do it?? Cheaper than the zinc and extra paint.

Maybe they have yet to be convinced.
AnswerID: 105454

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:33

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:33
Cheaper doesnt always mean it is done... Take for example the LED tail lights. The diodes dont blow like an incandescent and it can work out cheaper, but its still not commonplace.

Saw this one thing on a tarago that made me think: The fuel filler cap is on the passenger side, so is the rear sliding door. Open the sliding door while the tank is being filled and you have a damaged door. To cure this they stuck in an electronic device which stops the sliding door opening as far as the filler cap when the cap when it is open/in use. Why not just put the filler on the other side? I figure it certainly would have worked out cheaper than buying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of these little door stop devices.
FollowupID: 362649

Reply By: Pedro14 - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 21:19

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 21:19
A few years ago I checked with the RACQ in Queensland, and the guy I spoke to said that they had never done a test on the system.
However, he said the NRMA had done so and found that 2 pieces of steel immersed in salt water , one with nothing and the other with the "rust preventer" both rusted when removed.
I had mu L/C rustproofed 7 years ago and after each trip to Fraser had it washed down (hoist) by the people who did the rustproofing and for a reasonable figure they touched up any rustproofing that had been removed.
Only rust is a bit on the surface .
However, at one stage I needed a new radiator because I had overlooked ever
washing it down.

The radiator people said the best way to look after them was to gently hose the bottom of the radiator on both sides , with a hose without a spray attachment, after each beach trip.

Pedro

AnswerID: 105464

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:34

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:34
Darylive
Just a quick one that may help.
The info which comes with the Erps system says that the best way to keep your panels free of rust is to polish them regularly as the paint is actually slightly porous.
The film of polish seals the surface and stops moisture penetration which is one of the biggest causes for rust (in body panels).
This doesn't help with the underbody and all the "nooks and crannies" etc of course.

Despite my recommendation of the electronic system above, as a minimum, I would use a good chemical protection and a thorough flushing of the the underbody area after beach or mud work.
Oskar
AnswerID: 105494

Reply By: Darylive - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:15

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:15
Well I'll tell ya,

The old GQ has the full enrust treatment and is regularly washed especially after regular trips upto double island point. Put through the under body wash etc. and often parked over the sprinkler.

The only rust is a small spot near the windscreen which is not bad for a 16yr old truck. The thing is they are the best 4by ever made so I want to keep it forever and once you get a little rust it becomes scarey.

I have been trying to establish the difference between the various electric jiggers on the market.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Daryl
AnswerID: 105674

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:18

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:18
Hi,

Don't know exactly how they work but a family member purchased a 30+yr BJ40 landcruiser and found it was full of rust. Before repair job to be done we had to get rid of the metal cancer. Installed an ERPS unit with 6 pads and after six mths the rust was inactive and just fell away, even found rust where previous body work had been cut out and replaced. So now the 4by dont look to good but at least there is no more active cancer in the old girl and she runs like a charm. Yet to rebuild her (after 5yrs like this) but will get done one yr. This is just our own experience with the rust prevention units that are out there.

Hope you have luck.
FollowupID: 363168

Sponsored Links