Question for Hilux owners - dual battery placement

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:58
ThreadID: 21831 Views:6626 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I am writing to ask where to put a dual battery for a 97 diesel Hilux. A mate has just bought one, and we are going to install one.

The vehicle is not with me at the moment, so it's a bit hard to stick my head under the bonnet to see if you can fit one under the hood. That would be the prefered position if possible.

Also, any tips on the largest capacity battery that can be installed under the bonnet.

thanks in advance

Deano

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:43

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:43
Hi Deano,

You haven't stated wheather it is a single cab or duel cab. No room under bonnet for two batteries unless very small. I replaced mine in my duel cab with the biggest I could fit in which is a N70ZZ. On my old tray back I placed the second battery under the tray right behind the cab. Made my own battery holder, then ran all the necassary wiring to it, with a TJM duel battery management system. Also ran another cable from second battery to original via a isolation switch to jump start vehicle if need be. Hope this is useful.

Darryl.
AnswerID: 105445

Reply By: Glenno - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:44

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:44
I know with Pirhana if you buy the battery tray for your model / year of Hilux, they supply all the brackets to move things like water bottles around etc to make available the biggest space possible.

Im not sure on your hilux, but with mine the waster bottle was rotated 90deg and a 40a/hr deep cycle fits in between the left headlight and the air box. I supplement it in the back with a larger battery. All brackets came in the kit.

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 105446

Reply By: Member - Dexter - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:00

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:00
Hard to see how 2 normal sized batteries could fit under the bonnet.

My dual cab Hilux has the No 2 battery on the floor of the ute tray, hard up against the cab. No charge management system - just a big marine switch under the bonnet (B1 / B2 / both / neither).

If I could do it again, I'd probably mount the battery in a steel battery tray above the wheel arch, hard up against the cab. It makes better use of the limited floor space.

Cheers
AnswerID: 105574

Reply By: Werner - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 16:58

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 16:58
Hi Deano, I have a 94 2.8L diesel Toyota 4 runner. I'm not sure of the layout of your vehicle but my situation looked pretty hopeless. However my mechanic and I did get it sorted out. We had the air filter inlet/outlet pipe (can't remember which) modified and rotated the filter thru' 90 degrees. We had to shift something near the firewall (may have been fuel fiter) closer to the centre of the firewall. An N70ZZ battery was then installed behind the passenger headlight. The inlet for the air filter came from a snorkel via the left hand side thru the sidewall. This resulted in an uncomfortable amount of noise coming from the snorkel into the driver's compartment. After nearly having a nervous breakdown, I asked around to see what could be done. No-one had done this before in a 4runner/hilux so I was on my own. Eventually I put in a 90 degree bend, with a spigot welded to it, between the filter and engine. To the spigot I fitted a plastic expansion chamber from a Lancer. This brought the noise down to a bearable level with a small reduction in airflow but I'm relatively happy with it. I ahve had the system is place since about August 2003.

Werner
AnswerID: 105895

Reply By: crykey - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:04

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:04
I Have got a 70 amp deep cycle battery mounted under my bonnet behind the left hnd headlight. i had to make up my own brackets and tray to fit it in but i didnt have to move anything to make room. i have got a 99 diesel. the battery is mounted left to right. It is pretty tight but it fits. If its not to latei can send you some photos

AnswerID: 107306

Sponsored Links