air compressors

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2184 Views:1814 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Have any of you used the air compressor that is an old air conditioning unit. Is it any good, Easy to install, I've got a 91 80 series the ad says that it will pump up a tyre in 55 sec, from dead flat!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BWFG - Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
They are discussing this very topic on the Patrol fourm right now !
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/patrol4wd/

Brian
AnswerID: 7627

Reply By: coops - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
If you've got room then go for it !
I've seen one in action and its awesome !
AnswerID: 7631

Reply By: Pete - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

I have a Sankyo A/C compressor that I picked up for $40 from the wreckers in my 60 series L/Cruiser. It hangs on the side of the existing A/C compressor on a couple of mounting plates attached to the redundant symetrical lugs Toyota kindly provided. I doubled the pulley on this one and slaved the pump to it. A one way valve , pressure switch, relief valve and filter/trap complete the hardware. A switch actuates the electric clutch and the steampipe Bullbar provides about 10 litres of storage. The compressor is given an occasional shot of oil to substitute for the lack of refrigerant/lube . The exercise is simple enough once you overcome the mounting and powering issues and is well worthwhile, plenty of air even at an idle as these things can push a few hundred psi. Nice not having to worry about dropping tyre pressures or remounting a tubeless tyre when you need to.
AnswerID: 7633

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

There is a HOW TO on the 80's cool list.

Im building mine for the GQ now, have the SADEN 504 Compressor off an old sigma, and the mounting bracket, its easy... Just need the pipework, an old air tank off a truck from a wrecker ($40 with dump valve!!) and your there.
AnswerID: 7699

Follow Up By: Roller - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Truckster, I'd be interested in following your progress on this because I have been toying with the idea of fitting one to my GQ, but didn't think there would be enough room under the hood. I have seen one in action on a 100 series cruiser, and it was very impressive.
FollowupID: 3532

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

There is plenty of room.. Nick on the Patrol list runs 3 air tanks incorperated with his Endless Air System.

You sit the extra compressor below and to the sire of the standard Air compressor for Air Conditioner.

Then pipe work to what ever you want, air tanks the lot! Nick runs outlets to the rear and front, he took 4 yrs to perfect his system.
FollowupID: 3534

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Ah I was it was that simple in the 80 series wagon. I have had an Endless compressor and even have the Endless mounting system for the thing. I have spent three whole days and still cannot get the compressor installed in my truck. For those of you that have fully read the site you will already understand that I do everything on the vehicle and have welding and metal working equipment and a bloody good understanding of vehicle mechanics. Aircon and dual batteries will make the job a real pain as you are really space limited. To start with if you have factory aircon then you need to move this down about 8cms and backwards about 5 cms. To do this you need to remove the existing mount off the block and create/install a new one fabricated to hold the compressor and have the offset for the original aircon. Sounds simple (NOT as mentioned already I have the Endless installation kit with adaptor brackets and everything). Unfortunatly the supplied brackets mount the Endless compressor in completly the wrong spot for the engine belt. The whole thing is a bloody pain and I am really wondering if I am going to have a forth installation attempt. (No wonder none of the major 4WD shops will fit them - we approached ARB and was told have they fixed the mounting issues yet - Well NO). Having said this I have now spec'ed the mods required for the mounting bracket and I need to cut off two mounts and reweld them.As already mentioned above the units are excellent in pumping up your tyres (running are tools etc - if you fit a decent reserve) but the mounting seems to be such a pain that for the general 4WD I think it far better and easier to use the good ole electric units. I will persist one day (mind you I have had this thing now for nearly 18 months) but as you will understand when playing around with the belt drives on your vechicle you want to be 100% that nothing will fail, your aircon and alternator are far too important outback.David
AnswerID: 7714

Follow Up By: Coops - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

sounds like you could have a small business opportunity manufacturing brackets if and when you are successful David. My sentiments exactly on the belt reliability thing which is why I make do with the elctric jobbie.
Keep us posted.
FollowupID: 3550

Follow Up By: Janset - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Hi guys. To add my little bit into the air compressor saga. I have a 92 Troopie with the 1HZ motor. Now THAT, is a vehicle that has no room under the bonnet, BUT I still have one fitted. More on that later. A friend also with the same troopie but a few year younger purchased an air conditioner compressor air set up, and I think you know which brand I am talking about. To fit it he had to butcher the front lifting ring, took him about 2weeks to fit, alignment lined up beautifully with the steering wheel, (or was it the back wheel) and one of the brackets broke a couple of weeks later which he had to reweld and strengthen. After he finally installed it he made a wish to me that he will never ever have to change the fan-belts again, because if they break, then that is the way they will remain as to fit the replacement belts would mean pulling half the motor to pieces......... I have since heard that 2 other troopie owners have returned their compressors to the supplier because they could not fit them. Now my set up. Mine is fitted to the inside of the right mudguard facing back to-wards the driver beside the air cleaner. The washer bottle is removed and an after market rectangular one is fitted to the left side of the vehicle. The alignment is perfect, the only down side is that I do not run the vehicle with a fan belt fitted. Having said that, it only takes me a couple of seconds to fit the belt. I can fit the belt, blow up all 4 tyres remove the belt while others are still on their first tyre using a 12 volt blue tongue or the like (not the double one as that is somewhat faster)
Now for truth time. It was a mongrel to fit as there are so many angles to allow for and the bracket that holds the compressor I had to remove and adjust dozens of time before I was happy, but once done....Ripper. The drive pulley is tack welded onto the Air Con pulley. The air cyl. is a small brake cylinder mounted under the vehicle between the gearbox and chassis rail protected by the belly plate.
Now that it is fitted I am on cloud 9, do it again, I don't think so...well maybe not!
Regards
FollowupID: 3556

Follow Up By: Rod - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00
Sounds like you blokes must have diesels. On a petrol 4.5 1FZ-FE it work a treat. Didn't buy an Endless, wasn't paying $350 plus plus plus. Got a s/hand aircon unit, made up a bracket and bracing, lined up with main crank and original air con unit (located bottom right on motor), modified the belt idler/tensioner pully. Been on the vehicle for 2-3 years. Being in Sandgropper country it gets used regularly. Run into a large reserve tank (bullbar) which in addition to fast tyre inflation its great for blowing the dust off the rear doors before opening.
FollowupID: 3605

Reply By: rod - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

One bit more, Cost less than $150.00
AnswerID: 7798

Follow Up By: Janset - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Rod.
Also a fellow sandgroper. Yep, a sure lot cheeper. I went to the local auto electrician and asked about them. He said go around the back and help your self from the pile there. I got 2 very good looking ones. Apart from the intensive labour to make my bracket (yes it is a diesel) the fittings and all, it cost me about the same price.My air runs into a small brake cylinder beside the gearbox. size, about one cubic foot.
Regards
FollowupID: 3606

Reply By: Topcat - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00
To those who have tyres fitted with tubes, watch out for oil/grease carry over from the compressor into the tube when inflating. If you don't have a separator fitted in the air outlet line the oil or grease has been known perish the tube. As to fitting one to a 1HZ diesel try repositioning the Power steering oil reservoir to the side & fitting longer hoses to the tank, then mounting the compressor in the area left vacant by the reservoir by bolting it to the air intake manifold. I did this a few years back to a 75 series troopy without much fuss!!
AnswerID: 8105

Reply By: SteveA - Saturday, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:00
thanks all, for the info. It sounded so simple but as the old saying goes some things in life wasn't meant to be easy!! Steve
AnswerID: 8129

Sponsored Links