An Observation - Fog Lights

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:15
ThreadID: 21845 Views:1738 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
It's 7am and I've just arrived at work, left home at 6.30am. This morning its a bit of a pea soupu fog for Perth. Everyone has their headlights on cause its still dark as well.

Now ya know those cars that have the fog lights built into them and the possers drive around with them on when they shouldn't, well this morning on the route that I take there was no cars with fog lights on in addition to their head lights. They must have been out and about cause they are every other morning. Veeeerrry interesting.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:51

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:51
The one's that give me the Tom Tits are the small Jap cars with the fog markers on the rear (bright red). In traffic at night you tend to get a flash every now and then and you are not sure if the traffic up ahead is breaking or it's just some twit that has left the fog marke on.
My winge for the day
Vince
AnswerID: 105510

Follow Up By: Glenno - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:58

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:58
Ive felt the need for a long screwdriver more than once. Never smashed one in but been fired up enough to have a crack. Following those pricks on a long windy road and im blinded by red for no bloody reason.

Why the ADR's dont ban them on import ill never know. If you are not allowed to use them (so ive heard), then why allow them in in the first place.
FollowupID: 362762

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:33

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:33
I'll be in this.

My peeve is people who dont drive with their lights on at night when it's raining.

My guess is they are concerntrating so hard on the road out there, they forget themselves.

I also don't like Sam Newman. I think he is a pricke

AnswerID: 105523

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:40

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:40
That's Ok Sam Newman has enough love for Sam Newman to cover the bit he's not getting from you and I.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 362652

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:10

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:10
It s one of those things....its illegal in most states to use these fog lights (very different from daytime driving lights) unless you are in poor weather conditions ie FOG!! As others have said before that the rear facing red warning light is about 21Watts the same wattage as a brake light! Very blinding in good weather.

I have had mates fined upto $70 for using their 'Fog' lights in the day and I personally was glad! Although they aim low, most do not have diffusers in the lens to stop the light shining upinto oncoming traffics eyes, no probs in fog, the light shines below the fog line!! But during day or mostly at night they anoy the $hit out of me and I have to look down to not be dazzled.

If you are inclinded to disagree, grab a veh fitted with these and drive down a dark road and give the fog lights a few flashes. Watch the tree line and see how high the light illuminates!
So I now have the annoying habbit of shining MY foglights and then spotties into any oncoming w__ker that descided to blind me! Even have rear facing lights if they come up from behind!

Sorry if this sounds like it a bleat but until the police start to police it...its a safety concern not just a bug bare!!!

AnswerID: 105534

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:03

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:03
My solution is 280 watts of high beam straight in their eyes. Doesn't take long before they get the msg.
FollowupID: 362671

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:30

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:30
I drive with my headlights ALWAYS. It's just a habbit now, I start the engine and put the lights on, doens't matter what vehicle, daytime, nighttime, whatever. If people don't want to do the same, that's fine. But what REALLY GIVES ME THE WHOOPSIES is idiots driving dark coloured cars in the pooring rain with no lights on. And the same thing as Rod, this morning driving through the pea soup (It was shocking past Whiteman park in between those low lying padocks). As I was going through some of the thickest areas of fog out pops a white falcon ute flying along at 100+ k's an hour with about 200m visibility at most with no lights on. I didn't see the drongo until he was passing my drivers door! IDIOTS! The amount of cars I saw this morning at about 8am dirving along in this fog without lights on was incredible. I guess it's the old saying, "I'm alright, who gives ableepabout anyone else".
AnswerID: 105537

Reply By: drivesafe - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:18

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:18
Hi folks, I think the laws governing the use of fog lights are now standard nation wide.
It is illegal to operate fog lights in anything but adverse weather conditions and even then, they must be turned off for approaching vehicles.

Heres some unknown facts.

Most so called fog lights are actually driving fog lights which means they will light up the road for a distance in front of the vehicle but as they are adjusted so high they are useless as fog lights and are really only wanker lights.

Properly fitted fog lights actually point down and are only intended to light up the roadway in front of the car for about 1 or 2 metres max.

When driving at night with your fog lights on, because they give such a bright spot up close to the vehicle, you will actually reduce your long range vision so at the very time you need to see in front of you while on low beam because of an on coming vehicle, you only succeed in make your visibility worse.

I’m with those above who put their high beam and driving lights on when wankers come the other way with fog lights on and with my roof lights on I put out over 900 watts so I can see fineand stuff them. By the way, in most states the find is the same for having your fog lights on while passing on coming traffic as it is for using your high beam and driving lights.

AnswerID: 105578

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:05

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:05
From my observations it appears to be drivers of Jap buzz boxes or Pajeros who drive with the rear red fog light on. Those with front fogs seem to be Holden "Sports" ute drivers!
(What the hell is sporting about a ute I don't know. I always thought they were for taking rubbish down the tip or for builders oiks to run around in).
Getting back to drivers in bad conditions, I was sitting in the right turn lane on Manning Road (Perth) one morning, driving a bus at the time (for my sins?), thicker fog than today and saw a gap in the oncoming traffic, started moving forward ready to turn ......... and the gap had a bloody coppers van sitting in it with no lights on!!!
What they teach that lot I don't know but they forget it as soon as they've got the blue lights on top!
I've got a lot of respect for cops generally, as they do a rotten job well, but no respect at all for their driving ability.

Alan H.
FollowupID: 362698

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:17

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:17
On driving with lights on during the daylight, noticed that last year in the USA the newer cars have their headlights switch on automatically when the engine is running
Ray
AnswerID: 105696

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:41

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:41
In NSW at a few locations, they have run safety campaigns where they placed large signs beside main roads, asking drivers to switch there headlights on during the day, in an attempt to deduce the number of serious road accidents in these areas.

I don’t know how successful these campaigns were but I have always driven with my headlights on during the day, on long trips.

The trick here is to make sure it’s only your headlights and not your fog lights because I have read on a number of other sites where drivers have been booked in the middle of the day for having there fog lights on.
FollowupID: 362820

Follow Up By: Rod from Bush Camping - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:28

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:28
Further to that is those who drive with only their Parkers on to which they probably think they are absolutly marvolous in having these lights on... I wonder if they have ever noticed that you never see the on parkers until one is right up on the car (I'm talking oncoming traffic).

I also belive it is illegal to drive with only the parkers on.
FollowupID: 362825

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 17:08

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 17:08
Sweden brought that requirement years ago.
Volvos and SAABs have the headlights permantly wired up to the ignition.
FollowupID: 362880

Sponsored Links