Rainbow beach 4by graveyard

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:46
ThreadID: 21846 Views:3577 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
For all the non-Qld people, the local weekend paper (bit slow I know) ran an article on the cars that are written off on Rainbow Beach. The article shows three cars that were wrecked over the Easter break. A relatively new Xtrail, a Zook and a Lada. The article quoted the local RACQ rep, he said that approx $1.4 Million was written off last year. He also said that the Xtrail was a hire car and was NOT covered by insurance but the other cars if insured would be covered as the beach is regarded a road.

Thought I’d throw this up in case you’re thinking of coming up, make sure it is low tide if attempting the Beach there (also make sure you have insurance). If hiring a 4by don’t even think about it, the German tourists that hired the Xtrail will find it an expensive holiday.

Kind regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ianmc - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:24

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:24
Wondering what the problem is with these drivers?
Years ago I drove along the stretch of beach past the Cherry Venture then crossed the sandhills on a 4wd only track (noticed signage after it was too late) with a group
of 2wd cars, eg:Chrysler Centura,Peugeot 404,Fairlane ,Gallant & some others.
NEVER got bogged, Fairlane took a drink in water on 4wd snadhill track, but all got thru unscathed.
AnswerID: 105521

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:38

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:38
Well, Ian you were lucky to stumble on a good track and no soft sand, it is not always that good! The beach leg is all about timing, most times I've been there the tides were important to ensure that you didn't need to drive through water around the rocks on the beach which is what catches the novices.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 362640

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:09

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:09
There are a few reasons why this type of thing happens.

German, and indead most foreign tourist, tend to get their hands on an X Trail and alike thinking they are a 4WD. I hired one a couple of years back and knew I couldn't take it off road as there was a large sticker on the dash that told me so. The sticker probably wasn't in German. But I'd guess the hire company never told them either but it is some fine print in the hire contract....which gets the company out of their "duty of care" responsibility.

I'm sure we've all heard the story of the German numpty that attempted the CSR in a Brits Troopie that got him self well and trully stuck in Lake Disappointment with no food or water! All he had to do was engage the hub locks, but wasn't told how.

Seems hire these companies don't spend the time to ensure the hirer is competant to operate a 4WD. Having said that I am aware of a 4WD school that provides basic 4WD for 4wd hirers in Perth.

I've come across @#$%ers in Subarus that need towing because they have bottomed out on the entry track wheel rutts! I guess we will see more and more of these AWD soft roaders thinking they can tackle beaches, etc and coming to grief.

Councils, etc that allow vehicles on their beaches could regulate their use by way of a permit system. Only those that can demonstrate beach driving ability,training, a suitable vehicle and recovery equipment (if necessary) before being allowed to drive on it. Then we would keep day trippers with Klugers and X Trails off and tourists off that don't know what they are doing.

A similar system was suggested for the CSR a few years back because of the amount of rescues.

Mind you a lot of councils, etc have the attitude of "drive on at your own risk" and pay through the nose for recovery. They control behaviour in parks and playgrounds more than a potentially dangerous activity like driving on one of their beaches.

I remember fishing the Daly River, NT and getting a detailed brief about navigational hazards,etc on the river. Why isn't the same applicable of beach driving?

I know it seems a little drastic but how do you stop these people. But sometimes you have to protect them from themselves.

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast

FollowupID: 362680

Reply By: Member - Tim - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:30

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:30
I have been along that beach south of Rainbow (Mudlo rocks) so many times and I could never understand why anybody would get caught there. I was always a couple of hours either side of the low and the first few times was wondering where these rocks I had read about were. Then we were up there the weekend before easter and the low tides were very high and there was not a lot of beach anywhere. Getting round those rocks even within half an hour of low tide was a matter of picking the gaps between the waves and making a run for it. I could see that it would be easy to get caught if you were trying it futher away from the low or if you just didn't take the time to watch the waves first.

Regarding getting a 2wd up there it probably would have been possible that weekend. It had been raining the week before and everything was hard packed. I was towing a trailer and didn't get out of 2wd to get off the beach. Other times I have only just made it in low range 4wd. Never actually been stuck yet, touch wood.

As beatit said, pick the times and the tides and be careful because it is different every time.
AnswerID: 105538

Reply By: Utemad - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:51

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:51
It's not just the tourists in soft roaders. I have had the pleasure of helping to push one of the ice/bait guys out when he got stuck while driving through deep water at those rocks. Turns out he was only in 2WD.

Also check out the photo board in the pub. There are a few pics of the ice guys and tour operators that have had their real fourbys destroyed on the rocks.

I guess they've done it so many times they that they think they're invicible or the like.

Mind you I don't care if I would make it through the water. I'll be buggered if I'm going to drive my vehicle through salt water.
AnswerID: 105579

Reply By: old-plodder - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:52

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:52
Came across these cases on various visits.
1. On barge talking to german tourists who had hired a older suzuki.
Asked if they had engaged front hubs?
"No, what are they?" Had a look and sign on dash said not to engage and leave in 4wd high!
2. Came across some aussies tourist bogged in soft sand in hire 4wd.
What tyre pressures are you running?
"Don't know, told to leave them. "
Checked and they were 35psi. Dropped them to 20psi, told them bot to go too fast and 3 of us pushed them out. Went like the clappers across the soft sand no problems.
3. Came across 11 plus of them in a hire troopy.
Asked about seat belts since it is a road.
"didn't think we had to worry, wheres the bitumen?"
And we had been passed by them coming in to one of the lakes, and we thought we were pushing it by the way our car was bouncing around on the tracks.
AnswerID: 105593

Reply By: Big Woody - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:52

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:52
About 15 years ago had the pleasure of pulling out the entire Subaru club, one at a time, who were bogged all in a line behind Indian Head on Fraser Island. 17 of them all up using my snatch strap and shackles. The last one had his own strap already connected so we hooked him on and gave him a yank and his shackle went through the back of my Troopy. I've never used anyone elses gear since.

Brett
AnswerID: 105665

Reply By: jon p qld - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:06

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:06
I work in the motor industry in noosa, you'd be amazed at the number of 4wd's that are towed off the beach with burnt out clutches, some of them are barely out of the showroom.
AnswerID: 105673

Reply By: city1964 - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 23:41

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 23:41
i was up at rainbow over the easter break and saw some "creative" driving by some enthusiastic 4x2 drivers. the one that sticks is the driver of a tarago van who, when bogged, up to the doors, on the inskip point track near the ferry to fraser, had to wait for assistance. and wait, and wait. someone took pity on the guy after about 1/2 hour and snatched him out of there. probably didn't point out the BIG sign that says 4x4 only well enough as the guy came back for another go at it. he made it up to the shoreline and got to join his mates for the day. but i wonder what happened later, because as we were leaving for the day the centre of the "landing area" near the ferry was filling with water and the tide was well and truly coming in. probably see him on the wall at the BP or the Rainbow beach pub's "going, going, gone" board!
AnswerID: 105687

Reply By: PradoBoy - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 22:48

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 22:48
Hate to add to the "tales of woe" board but feel I have to. I've used the Prado to snatch out Landcruisers (Admittedly he had a loaded boat trailer), other Prados (shame!), Luxes, Troopies, Subaru's - the list is endless, with notable exceptions seeming to be Patrols - at Teewah & Rainbow beaches, Moreton & Fraser Islands. Where ever I go in the Great Sandy region I seem to find people who are completely unaware of one or more of these basic requirements for safe sand driving
- the correct tyre pressures to run
- the tides
- proper techniques for sand driving
- the recovery gear they should be carrying, and how to use it.
In all cases people were stuck because they had little idea of what's required to drive safely in that environment.

I've only ever been stuck in sand once - and that was on Fraser in extremely dry soft fluffy sand that happened to stop a lot of other 4WD's that day.

The message for everyone traversing sand are simple and universal. Sand can trap you if you are not well prepared and don't follow the basic guidelines...
Run your tyres at 20PSI or lower. Carry the appropriate recovery gear and know how to use it. Know the tides (if near the ocean) and the techniques for sand driving --- and be prepared!

Years ago I was always willing to help out - but now I only rescue tourists (especially European's - who seem to be the worst offenders) if they have cute chicks with them. Otherwise I let them dig (a lot) before I help them out. Sometimes I even let the chicks dig a bit too - just for fun...

PradoBoy
AnswerID: 105949

Sponsored Links