toyota 1HZ engine noise

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2185 Views:19790 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any problems with a Ticking noise coming there 1HZ diesel engine ? i have spoken to the service manager at the local dealership,and they say it is a common problem,but i have never heard another 100 series cruiser with a ticking noise,and they still insist it is a common problem!!
Buy the way it didn't start ticking until it had done 12000 klms, it has now done 22000.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Janset - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
Jack.
Welcome to the club!! I have a 92 troopie fitted with the 1HZ motor. I bought the rig in 1993 with 42,000 km on the clock, that still meant that I had 12 month warranty on the body and 2 years on the drive train.
Now the ticking, yes it was there. Toyota replaced my pressure plate, spigot bearing and bush, but the noise still persisted. They could not solve it. I was told not to worry as I still had plenty of warranty left. As I had 42,000 km already on the clock and the motor was still working OK then why worry? If I still had concerns then I should wait until I was close to the expiration of the warranty and represent the Troopie and they would look at it again.......So be it and so I did.......YES, was the answer, this time, We now know what the problem is. Some on the crankshafts when they were ground had an undersized journal at the rear main bearing which they would now fix. I asked if they intended to put an oversized bearing to off set this, NO, that was not the way of Toyota, a new crankshaft it had to be.....:) said I!
I picked it up a couple of days later, and low and be hold......THE CLICKING WAS STILL THERE!. Now I was told, don't worry about it, you now have done 80.000 KM and it was still working and to boot you have a new crankshaft, why worry, the noise is only engine harmonics and is not a problem. My fears have been recorded with Toyota Australia for future reference, if something did happen then they would re-visit my file and decide as to what if any action they would take..........I have now done 130,000 km with that motor and have also fitted an after-market Inter Turbo and that has traveled 30,000 KM (and some times very hard kilometer as I am in a 4WD club) and the motor is still working as good as the day I picked it up,......and YES, the clicking is still there!......I hope this has been enlightening for you as it was and still is for me.
Regards
AnswerID: 7642

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
Funny thing, Toyota engines. I had an old dear with a 2F engine. It had this wonderful clunking sound when it was idling. I was told by Toyota and other experts that it was a gudgeon noise. At 360,000 clicks and a severe Canning Stockroute run under the belt, the engine was cactus and I decided to replace most moving parts including the gudgeons. Done the motor up nicely and when we fired her up again the clunking was still there. What followed was a quick 200,000 clicks in four years and by then the old dear was so rusted out that I was in danger of being given a red slip by the boys in blue. So I traded her at a cheap auto yard and the clunking was still there !!! Maybe that engine is still clunking somewhere in a wreckers yard :-)) Cheers, Willie
FollowupID: 3519

Reply By: Hoffy - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00
My late 92 with the 1HZ has had a ticking noise in it, on and off, since almost new. You guessed it, the dealer could not find it or was very interested in doing anything about it. It was very intermettent at the time and only occured when you have the foot off of the acceleratorat around 40 kph. Now wth 116k on the clock it seems to be there most of the time when you de accelerate anywhere from 80kph and 20kph. The noise seems to come from the area of the clutch? I thought it may be a loose baffle in one of the mufflers.

I would not go back to the Toyota dealer because I don't wish to take out a loan to pay for the work and previous experiences of grease on floor mats and the cap being left off of the brake resivior on two ocassions has soured my relationship with them.. I am convinced dealers just treat your vehicle as a source of income and their business as a sausage machine. Push it in one end and hope it comes out the other end as expectedwithout any care of what happens in the middle. Would be interested to know if this clicking with the foot off is tha same as others are experiencing. The vehicle is performing well.
AnswerID: 7715

Follow Up By: Janset - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Hoffy. Yep that it exactly where my clicking comes from. If you read my post above, when they pulled out the clutch, the plate was not replaced as they claimed that it was a serviceable part :( I then made a suggestion, not wanting them to suck eggs, I suggested that when the gearbox was out that maybe they could rebolt the starter motor someway and fire up the engine, that way they could be sure if it was infact the motor causing the clicking or a bearing or something in the gear box. Yeh sure was the reply.......I bet you can't guess what their reply was when I asked them did they try my suggestion.
I'l click clilck you later somewhere.
Regards
FollowupID: 3554

Reply By: gray - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Yes MR TOYOTA service doesn't achieve much credibility.my 97gxl 80 had numerous visits during warranty, it av 3 visits per repair. I also had a very rare intermitint ticking at 105 k at idle & thought "what now"
10 000k later head gasket leaking This time I fix, upon dismantling the rhs head studs were ALOT easier to undo than the lhs as was the cam drive gear upon viewing gasket blow by was everdent at no5 but was also there with 2,3 & 4. and all on the rhs of gasket. On checking shim clearences and rotating the cam i noticed wear on the taper from the cam drive, after completeing job, noise gone and oil consumtion gone.
For the oil usage was from the flaps on breather baffle plate being at 48 degrees where it should've been 30. Mr YOYOTA said it was running in.
(1.5 lt / 5000ks from new)???? why we don't have faith.
whether this may help ? just a thought.
AnswerID: 7727

Follow Up By: Derek - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Gray. I'm having trouble following your description. What are these flaps? I presume the breather you're talking about is the one inside the rocker shaft cover. My 1HZ would take up to 10 seconds to build up oil pressure at a cold start. Toyota pulled the engine apart 2 times before someone realised that there are oil squirters with check valves fitted at the bottom of each cylinder. Seems that if one or more check valves leak, then the oil drains back overnight and take several seconds to build up on start up. I've also got this ticking noise, but it sounds very much like excess valve clearance. Is this what it sounds like in your engines. Oh what a feeling! Derek.
FollowupID: 3564

Follow Up By: Gray - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
Derek, yes under the cover, as for valve clearences checked as / schedule & never replaced a shim on 2 80s collectively in excess of 350 000kms
FollowupID: 3575

Reply By: slydog - Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00
yes my 2001 78 series started making the same noise at around 20000 kms took into dealer and they had another vehicle with the same problem which the experts from japan had just taken apart and replaced the crankshaft the told me it was number 5 main which is where the thrusts are located my dealer offered to replace crankshaft but they couldnt garantee that the noise wouldnt come back so i didnt bother i have since done 50000 kms with no problem it is a lot more common than people realise that is untill you buy one that starts ticking
AnswerID: 7902

Sponsored Links