speeding tickets

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:32
ThreadID: 21851 Views:3975 Replies:12 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
Noticed a couple of threads were people said if fined for speed and you have a good history write in and there is a chance it will be reviewed for the better. Not the case with me, 2 tickets in 3 weeks only ones in 20 years, both for speeding while overtaking. Yes I know you can't speed while overtaking but not many don't, get out and around quickly and go back to the speed limit are my thoughts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:36

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:36
2 in 3 weeks?

I see a problem.

AnswerID: 105525

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:44

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:44
Maybe your right. So now I just add to the problem to maintain my points. If someone is sitting above 90kph or up and down in speeds I have to sit behind and add to the length of traffic. Try safely overtaking at the speed limit if the car in front is even doing just under 90kph, without overtaking lanes.
FollowupID: 362641

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:49

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:49
yea then you come to them overtakign lanes and the scum always speedup! We had one dude that sped up to 130+ then as the lane died, he slowed down to 90in a 110.. he ended gettin run off the road by an angry punter.. well deserved I say.
FollowupID: 362643

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:04

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:04
Im just as narky on the road as anyone.

But I think im getting old.er.

I just try to think of them as my best friend having an off day.

I hate the "scum" too. But I love my peace and new tollerance better.

I nearly died Xmas 2003. In a fight. Hmmm serious bashing. It didn't turn my life around 100% or anything religious like that, But I think I've taken on a broader view than I did before.

I'll still knock their blocks off but only when I think it's desperatly needed.

We are not professional drivers here, But we are damn close.

Lets slow down.
FollowupID: 362646

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:37

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:37
Don't have that problem with 1HZ engine - usually can't overtake!! But I agree that it's bl**dy dangerous on the wrong side of the road, and limiting the time spent there is a good idea. But then you get yahoos that overtake at 160 km/h and lose control when off-camber, so I suppose there have to be limits to protect us from ourselves.
Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 105526

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:50

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:50
I remember yrs ago, someone taking a case the same as this about overtaking to court, and won. was 20 odd yrs ago, they werent so money hungry errrrrr I mean safety conscious then though.
AnswerID: 105532

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:02

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:02
Checked that out as the second one was as you described above. Guy up and down in speed, waited for passing lane and he went up to 110. I kept going and got past but worn the fine. RACQ solicitor tells me there's little chance of beating fines now. Also said (don't know if it's true) warnings are a thing of the past, pretty much policy now that if you get pulled up you will get a fine. Asked why I see lots of cops not indicating, speeding etc, etc. Was told that the only law that applies to them is drunk driving, pretty much they don't have to follow the law while on duty except for drinking.
FollowupID: 362645

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:07

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:07
I think the same applies to tram drivers in Melbourne.
FollowupID: 362647

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:34

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:34
Except their excempt from the drink drive too! LOL
FollowupID: 362650

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:55

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:55
Austravel,

Only speaking for Queensland here but police are not exempt from state laws. In fact Queensland police are subject to normal citizens law and the Police Act so can in fact be charged twice if necessary.

They do have some exemptions under some circumstances such as when responding to an emargency under lights and siren then they can go through a red light etc. Even when doing this however if they have a prang then they can still be charged with driving with undue care and attention.

Just wanted to clear that one up.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 362655

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:12

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:12
Yeah same thing applies in NSW - just the other day there was a story on the TV new of a senior sergeant out Wagga way who was clocked at 160kph and he went to court in Golburn (I think) - lost his licence for 18 months.
FollowupID: 362660

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:14

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:14
Brian,

Don't know, this was said by a solicitor at RACQ. I also asked the same question of someone I know who works in the traffic branch. Was told the same thing, exempt from the traffic law while on duty. I asked what did being on duty mean and was told pretty much at any time for a traffic cop. Like I said I don't know the act but was told this twice in the past few weeks.

It's pretty unusal around here to see police indicate either changing lanes or round-a-bouts, had them pass me numerous times well above the limit with no lights or siren. Just damn frustrating when you adhere to the law as best you can and get slugged when there are other drivers that get away with pretty dangerous stunts. I include driving at 60-70kph on highways as dangerous. See it many times when traveling.

Anyhow did the crime pay the fine. Just will be very, very carefull for 3 years, can't even afford a small infringment on my points.
FollowupID: 362661

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:16

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:16
anyone ever seen a bacon pulled over for breaking the law.
FollowupID: 362673

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:59

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:59
A friend of mine is a Qld police officer. He has told me that he has had a few please explains for when he has been snapped by a speed camera. Apparently unless you can prove that you were in a lawful chase or whatever then you wear the fine. So if he was doing 70km/h in a 60 zone while on duty in a police car but only going to the shop or serving a warrant etc then he has to pay the fine and points plus get an ass kicking from someone higher up.
FollowupID: 362697

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:08

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:08
Hi Patrol, that Des Ross from Wagga only lost his licence for 6 months and got a $1000 fine. But he got on the news and said he had suffered enough from the humiliation from the public. Mind you, he told three bull shiiit stories when the Gundagai Highway Patrol pulled him over to try and get out of it. And he was caught in an SS Highway patrol car. Serves himself right..........it's not the first time he has been in trouble.
Karen
FollowupID: 362722

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:42

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:42
Saving lives MYbleepING ASS.

If it were me, I'd be making the BIGGEST media hype one man could possibly round up, purley from a moral stand point. THAT IS REDICULOUS!

If the state government REALLY wanted to save lives they would invest there "millions" of dollars in driver training, anger manager and ACTUALLY FIXING THE ROADS not buying speed cameras, "highway patrol" cars and new laser speed guns.

"oh we're so good, we're trying to stop deaths on our roads, that's why we've spent X Million dollars on it this year" They don't mention that they will quadripple their investment in that same year through added fines...

I guess you don't make money from training drivers to be safer and more compitent. That only costs money....

So I'm going to sit on the other side of the road with my family in the back of the car facing oncomming traffic and tootle along at 110km/hr for about 4 kms while I casually pass someone doing 90k/hr. Getbleeped. I swear to god I'd probally be knocked to the ground and had cuffed if a copper actually fined me for that. I'd probally have kicked him in the knackers and spat in his face before he'd finished writing the ticket.
Dick Heads.

AnswerID: 105541

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:53

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:53
Hmm...

I wonder how you feel about it Jeff?
FollowupID: 362669

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:30

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:30
Its obviously not friday yet...
FollowupID: 362684

Follow Up By: warthog - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:04

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:04
Jeff you are a true gentleman with a fine moral conviction. I applaud your sentiments. I too value the life of my family over a ridiculously applied law. The Highway patrol are unfortunately merely tax collectors and servants of greedy decietful government policy.
FollowupID: 362767

Follow Up By: Member - Troy - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:23

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:23
Don't hold back Jeff :)
FollowupID: 362778

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:10

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:10
Troy, I trust you'd have better judgment than to book someone for speeding while mearly trying to overtake someone in the saffest way possible and using their common sense, so it would be a non-issue for you. I also will add that I was talking about coppers that hypothetically would have pulled me over and fined me for overtaking someone. Not the coppers like yourself who work hard in general duties, especially those working in the "more difficult" areas such as yourself. I do have the respect of those police offers. Just not the ones who take every oppertunity to make themselves feel powerful by using every single letter in the law to fine people for doing things that are clearly not dangerous or seen to be wrong by the community.
If there is anyone on this forum or even in the general community that thought it was wrong to speed while overtaking on the highway (with all other common sense factors in place) I would be very suprised.

Warthog has it all in place though, ANYONE that thinks they can get in the way of the saftey of my family is in la la land and deserves what they get.

Bennspoon, it friday now! ;-)

IMusty, well sometimes we all get emotional, but I tell you I stand by my comments 110%.

Now I will stand up or the WA Police (well the country ones that I have had experiences with anyway). I do recall a couple of years ago I was heading up a hill trying to pass a wally (using an overtaking lane) and he did the ol' speed up and don't let someone pass you trick (which I might add is the most dangerous and self centred thing I can imagine on the road and should be punishable by the removal of testical with blunt siscors) and I had the speed up to about 130km/hr (in a new subaru forrestor). As I came over the hill and pulled back into the left lane and backed off there was a patrol car heading the other way. All he did was flash his hi beams at me and kept drivng. Fair enough in my books, he's let me know he's seen me, said hey just watch your speed buddy and kept going. That's policing IMHO. He obviously understood the scenario as there was an overtaking lane, he could see my speed was dropping quite quickly as I'd pulled back in and there was a falcon with a caravan behind me.
So it's no all doom and gloom, but these coppers over east sound like totaly IDIOTS as we are hearing more and more reports of these REDICULOUS speeding fines, like the caravan insident and a couple of other overtaking fines in previous threads. THESE PEOPLE SHOULD WAKE UP TO THEMSELVES. Start tring to catch the people who are DANGEROUS, not the people who are genuinally trying to do the right thing.

FollowupID: 362837

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:46

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:46
Hi Everyone,

From a Queensland perspective writing in will not help one bit. The only review option you have is to elect to go to court when you receive your infringement notice. Even most of these when challenged in court do not win.

Most of the time you will find you will get booked and there is not much letting people off with warnings any more.

Yes there are some idiots out there who speed up etc when you try to get around them but I think the bottom line is that responsible road users need to stick to the set limit. No matter how good a driver you may be if you are for example overtaking on the wrong side of the road against the wrong road camber and in excess of the speed limit then you run a risk of coming unstuck and it is just not worth it to yourself or some other poor person who could become involved.

Didn't mean to preach on this topic so I will get off my soapbox now, but I see the results of this every day in my job as a paramedic and it becomes a source of major frustration when some of the causes are from such minor things.

Drive Safely.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 105542

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:35

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:35
My old man got pinged on his bike overtaking a truck- you could actually see his indicator on in thespeed camera photo. He tried to argue it with coppers, and was told the only way to do this was to take it to court. He went to court, and the judge told him he should have been let off with after writing a letter, given his good previous record. He was ordered to pay court costs, and the fine was dropped.

It still happens sometimes- if you get through to the right person.
Its worth a shot.
FollowupID: 362685

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:26

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:26
On his bike!

How fast was he peddling?
FollowupID: 362692

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:53

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:53
It was downhill and the pub at the bottom of it was starting happy hour...
FollowupID: 362695

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:57

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:57
lmao :-)
FollowupID: 362696

Follow Up By: warthog - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:14

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:14
Brian B, you equally run the risk of coming unstuck whilst you sit in the wrong lane at 100km/h overtaking the person who has been sitting on 90-95km/h for the last 50km. I would personally consider it safer to spend less time in the wrong lane and overtake at (shock horror) 115-120km/h than spread myself across the front of the oncoming B-double at a nice safe 100km/h.
FollowupID: 362771

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:51

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:51
Warthog,

Mate everyone is entitled to their opinion on this one.

I unfortunately have seen the end result of both methods of unsafe overtaking at times and neither are what you want to see so the only message I want to promote is road safety and the application of common sense as the negative results are true shock horror value.

The one thing I see time and time again is mishaps happening at speed and there is no escaping the fact that it is a major contributor to traffic accidents.

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 362790

Follow Up By: warthog - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:40

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:40
Brian B,
I am also a paramedic, in the N.T, so I am also aware of the role speed plays in determining the extent of injuries suffered as a result of MVA's. I believe however it is INAPPROPRIATE speed that is a contributing factor in the cause of many accidents. Sitting at 100km/h in the wrong lane is in my view a very good example of inappropriate speed that increases the chance of a traumatic accident. As I said I believe increasing your speed by a modest amount is a safer and thus more appropriate speed in that circumstance. To be fined for this is somewhat galling. I agree that sitting at 160km/h or similar whilst overtaking is not safe and I am not advocating these speeds on roads that are not designed for it and have a 100km/h limit. Cheers.
FollowupID: 362842

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:53

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:53
It will depend on individual states. This is the NSW stance ... click here. and find "How do I appeal against my infringement?"

You might have got off the first one if the second one didn't occur so soon afterwards.

AnswerID: 105544

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:21

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:21
In addition to the IPB appeal you can also write to the responsible State government minister - the mechanics of this is that everything is put on hold until an answer is provided. I have represented my daughter and daughter in a review of infringements through the IPB (got the usual and expected bureaucratic response) - I then elected to write to the Minister got a positive response in one case and still waiting for an answer in the other. Bottom line is that this, while frustrating, is a much cheaper process than going to court. After all - an infringement notice is just that and nothing more and it can be withdrawn at any time up to the time you front the Beak. So try the ministerial path after you have tried the IPB it will only cost you a stamp.
FollowupID: 362662

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:23

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:23
Thanks. Patrol22 is this the process in all states, I'm in Qld?
FollowupID: 362691

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:59

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:59
Austravel As I understand it yes - it is one of those wonderful quirks of our the conventions of our system of parliament. The particular convention is that of 'ministerial responsibility' where regardless the minister must answer your query/complaint. That said, they can still legislate out this avenue of appeal and force the court approach but unless it is legislated out or the matter is of a criminal nature then the bureaucracy (at the head of which is the minister) can deal with the matter up until it is mentioned/listed for court. Make sure that when you write to the relevant minister you also address the letter and send it to the IPB. Might only slow things down but it is still worth the effort - and it really give the IPB thebleepes.
FollowupID: 362711

Reply By: brian - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:08

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:08
On John Laws talkback today "scott" rang in and explained he helps people prepare cases to defend radar speeding fines ,something of an expert apparently,based in qld and has had approx 1300 successes in court out of around 1700 cases,charges only $150,anyone else hear this???
AnswerID: 105556

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:35

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:35
Love to know how to contact him.
FollowupID: 362676

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:36

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:36
$150 charge, then he saves you frmo a $132 fine.
FollowupID: 362686

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:14

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 16:14
Nope first fine was $150 and 3 points and the next $350 and 6 points. Don't agree with the speeds they both told me I was doing, second one wasn't sure of actual amount but the first one he changed the figure 3 times when I denied it. But the points hurt.
FollowupID: 362690

Follow Up By: StormyKnight - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:58

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:58
Yes I heard parts of this, most of what he said was the unrealiabilty of the actual radar units due to powerlines etc. He also said that the most you will pay in court in NSW is the original fine plus 60 or so bucks for court costs if you loose. Also if you elect to take it to court, you don't loose any points etc until it has been heard which can be up to 18 months later.

Being booked for overtaking is not only not right but you could argue it's not safe either. But then I guess you are supposed to wait on line for 1km of straight road with no oncomming traffic.

What annoys me even more is the car behind the slow car having no intention of overtaking but not leaving any gap so you can. How illegal is it to overtake two cars at once then?

Cheers & Happy motoring - Glad I'm not from the coast where I'm sure overtaking possibilties are few & far between.

Richard
Inland NSW

FollowupID: 362710

Reply By: Member - Alan- Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:07

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:07
I've had this arguement with the cops in WA and the response is that it's dangerous to speed at all times. What a load of rubbish! It makes sense when overtaking and it was what I was taught in the UK.
Check your mirrors for traffic overtaking you, indicate, manouver and overtake as quickly as possible and return to the left hand side of the road of the road when safe to do so. You should of course not even contemplate overtaking if vehicles are approaching.
How the hell can it be safe to sit on the wrong side as I saw a Mother with kids doing not long ago on Wanneroo Road, for what must have been 2 minutes whilst she creeped past dead on the limit. I dropped back because I was sure she'd hit something coming towards her.
The truck she was overtaking slowed up eventually to let the daft cow past!
As for cops being well trained, I reported a bike cop for his driving as it was downright dangerous! The investigating officer said that he'd approached the accused who denied being where I said he was, but they checked his incident book and there it was .......... he'd given a girl a ticket just a couple of minutes after I'd said. My response to that was "Not only is he a lousy driver but he is a liar as well, should he even be a copper?."
That was what had incensed me enough to complain, if he's got the authority to hand out tickets, he and the rest of the incompetents behind the wheel of cop cars should be setting an example of how it should be done.
The cop told me they give them very in depth training and I responded that if he and other senior officers got out a bit and checked them, they'd find that very few showed any skill whatsoever!
Anyway I left it to them to breath heavily in his ear and teach him the error of his ways, they sent me a follow up report detailing punishment which showed they'd taken him off the road.
Incidently, just before he'd jumped a just turned red light, he'd swerved in front of a Landcruiser which had to brake very hard to avoid squashing the idiot!
AnswerID: 105566

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:08

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:08
Did you hear about the cop's in southern Wa who when throu a speed camera at 130 with F U across the number plate.

Don't now about the rest of Aus but in WA the copper's can't get away with s*-t anymoremy old man is one [NOt traffic] undercover. . There used to be some ting called professional cutesy for small thing like say doing 120 in a 110 zone and throwing the light out the window to get passed banked up traffic. Wich is rarther funny.

but give them a brake it is a s*=t of a job and half the stuff that thay deal with doesn't make the news i not going to go into it now.

P.S He hate's it and geting out as soon as he can. my old man also agree's that some of the cop's are read D/head's and abuse the power. Like one sergant was in the paper recently for giving a a farther and son a $100 fine for kicking the football in the street. Enyway this guy will book you if your front tyres r over the line at a red light.
AnswerID: 105610

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:20

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:20
LMAO @ Exploders spelling...............................sorry
Karen
FollowupID: 362725

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:11

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:11
I live in the same area as that copper Exploder and he and a lot of the rest are not interested in anything apart from speeding or in his case, dad and the kids enjoying themselves!
I've got a lot of respect for the coppers generally (except for ones like him) and most of them do a rotten job well considering the dregs they have to deal with 99% of the time.
But I haven't any respect at all for their driving ability especially those who are supposedly traffic cops, and as I said they should be setting an example as to how it should be done, not displaying their arrogance because they've got blue lights on top.
Inapropriate speed kills, but stupidity kills far more!
Alan H.
FollowupID: 362838

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:36

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:36
yep just looking at it now shocking. What can i say but it's been a long day.
AnswerID: 105620

Reply By: Pezza - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 11:41

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 11:41
Hi all,

Noticed a lot of replies and followups on this thread about spending too much time on the wrong side of the road if trying to overtake some bowling hatted wally doing 90 whilst sticking to the silly speed limit. Totally agee!! and welcome to the life of a speed limited truck driver on the open highways!

Avagoodn
Pezza

AnswerID: 105871

Reply By: Tim - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 17:56

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 17:56
As far as I am aware, in NSW when you get a fine for anything it goes to the infringement processing burea (IPB). These guys are there to process fines only, they can not use discretion, or make any decisions as such, to appeal you have to go through a court of law.
AnswerID: 105904

Follow Up By: AndyMac - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 18:52

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 18:52
Tim, in late 2003 I got my first ever speeding ticket, 28kph over and double demerit points. Wrote a letter to the IPB, explained my history and admitted the offence. All I asked was my previous history betaken into account. Got a caution....no fine no loss of points etc.

Andy
FollowupID: 362996

Sponsored Links