Canning Stockroute

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 18:56
ThreadID: 21862 Views:2226 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I'm about to head off on the Canning Stockroute in a Landcruiser 100 series turbo diesel with the original Dunlop Grand Trek 275/70R16's which have done about 30,000 K's. Any suggestions on if I should change tyres and if so what to?
Lance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 18:59

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 18:59
What to do ? Why have a great trip of course :)) Sorry, not qualified to make tyre suggestions for a couple of months. How much rain have they copped there this year ? Couldnt see any recent track reports ?
AnswerID: 105609

Reply By: D-Jack - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:17

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 19:17
1) how many spares do you take. You are better off with a couple obviously
2) are you competent in tyre repairs? If you can break a bead and patch a hole then again better off (we could start a debate on tyrepliers vs beadbreakers here!)

My advice, not that it is the right or wrong thing to do, would be to keep the grandtreks on, take a couple of spares and one or 2 new all-terrain carcasses (that you plan to replace the old ones with) on the roof rack, along with a tyre repair kit.

That way, you can make whatever emergency repairs to your older tyres if they should go on you, and have plenty in reserve.

I busted 2 new desert duellers coming back from arkaroola once. It hurts at $160 a pop, let alone the $300 you would probably fork out for a new all terrain. Bust up your old ones first and then replace with nice shiny new all-terrains for your next trip.

At 30000kms they still should have a reasonable amount of meat on them.

Most people will disagree with me, this is just my opinion and for your consideration.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 105613

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 20:36

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 20:36
My OEM Grandtreks were pretty bald by 30,000 km. There are unsuitable for unmade roads and will puncture almost as soon as you leave the bitumen. I'd ditch'em now, get some decent AT tyres, and save yourself a lot of heartache on the trip.
AnswerID: 105636

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:12

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:12
Lance,

With any outback trip go for the new tyres before you go.

Haveing a flat is like a lottery. You could have a flat on a new tyre in the first 5 km. That is bad luck. Having several flats on worn tyre is bad planning.

What I am trying to say is If you run new tyre all round including the two spares there is a very good chance of not getting a flat. At the end of the trip put the old tyres back on and run them out around town. Then when it is time to replace the original tyres put the trip tyres on and where them out. You have not lost any tyres just go the most out of them.

What to put on?? A tyre that is easy to get in a common size.

Reguardless of what tyre you use don't forget to let the tyre pressure down when doing the Canning. As for the pressure to run I could not give a answer. The sand and the weight of the vehicle will have to be taken into account before the tyre pressure can be set.

When are you going and in what direction?

Wayne
AnswerID: 105653

Follow Up By: Lanceo1 - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:47

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:47
Sorry about the long delay Wayne. I've been up north without internet access. We are now going in August and travelling North to South on the stockroute. I believe the sandhills have a more gentle approach in this direction.
Regards
Lance
FollowupID: 363985

Reply By: Member - Mike - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:27

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:27
Hi Lance
My opinon - change them to BFG A/T from experience over the past 7 years they are one the best for surviving spiking etc. My current set are sitting on 75,000kms
Please note I'm no expert on tyres - just experience - and that told me BFG's
And you can fit the Dunlops back on when you get back!!
I'm planning a trip up the CSR in August 2006 so any feedback from you would be most welcome.

Enjoy

Cheers for now
Mike T

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 105655

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:38

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:38
Heading of in a few weeks, not taking my truck (Cooper ST's) this time but going with a mate in his GQ. He's just fitted new boots to it - also ST's - and I'll let you know how we go when we get back.

Two 4bys and 3 bikes in our group.

Just got my new copy of the third edition of the Gard's book and it looks great. Truckloads of info in it.

Keep your ears out for Victor 632 on the HF.

Dave
AnswerID: 105657

Follow Up By: Lanceo1 - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:51

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:51
Thanks Dave
We will be a bit behind you as we dont leave until August . Have a good trip.Be very interested to know how the Coppers go when you return.
Regards
Lance
FollowupID: 363987

Reply By: Paul & Tracy - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:56

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:56
Mate, you're going into just about the most remote place on earth! Why would you even consider going out there with half worn tyres. Just go and buy a set of decent A/T's of whatever brand takes your fancy/you can get the best deal on and that'll be one less thing you have to worry about going wrong about as far from a garage as you can find!

Cheers, Paul B Kalgoorlie
AnswerID: 105686

Reply By: Lanceo1 - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:53

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:53
Manny thanks all for your advise. I've working up north for a week or so without internet access hence the delay.
Regards
Lance
AnswerID: 107008

Sponsored Links