Eyre Peninsula

Submitted: Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 18:50
ThreadID: 21885 Views:2165 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Just got back from a couple of months on the Eyre Peninsula. Fantastic place. If you haven't been then go. It is worth the drive if you are from far away. We travelled there from Brisbane (Me, 'the owner-trainer' a 3 y o and a 6 month old) and will definitely go back. I just wanted to recommend the place to everyone as it was pretty special. We went right around it and up to the Head of the bight. Hightlights -too many to name- but Fowlers Bay, Streaky Bay, Venus Bay, Coffin Bay...I could go on. Unreal fishing, amazing hospitality.

Just wanted to recommend a truelly under-rated place to all on this sight.

Chappo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:15

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:15
I could quite easily drop out from society and park my bum at Sheringa Beach. Not being a fisher person, nor a surfer, this place holds a special appeal to me.

Whilst at Sheringa, I got talking to some travellers from both NSW & Qld. They were all of the opinion that it was way better than the beaches they just came from interstate.

I was at Sheringa & Venus during Easter. The Roadhouse at Sheringa is wild. I can sit there for hours with a beer, just talking & watching the surfers rock in & leave. Definitely a place that time has stood still, though it is fast changing. The owner of the Roadhouse has carved up his land holdings, and is selling the blocks for $10,000.00 each. The place will change...........

The pub at Streaky Bay is wicked. Sort of a bit up-market, but okay.

I'm glad you've all enjoyed yourselves, and it sounds as if you may return one day.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 105768

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:15

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:15
Thanks very bloody much Chappo.......we've been doing our best to keep this part of the world a secret and then you get on here and blab to the whole bloody world!!!!! Well done!!!! I can only hope the moderator takes this post off immediately!!!! LOLOLOL

Seriously though, you are dead right.....it is a very special part of this great country. I just hope the flaming do-gooders stay right away......I can just see it now; they'd like to erect a 8 foot safety fence from Coffin Bay to Esperance if they bloody-well could!!!!!
AnswerID: 105769

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 13:41

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 13:41
yep grew up in Wudinna had the Gawler ranges as a front yard and Venus bay as the backyard. when i moved to adelaide still would go back to catch up with my mates and go fishing at locks wells,dolphins beach,venus bay etc. Never ceased to amaze me that Adelaidians could only make it as far as the yorke which was massivly overfished by comparison - still it never botherd me
FollowupID: 362976

Reply By: chappobriz - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:20

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:20
Roachie and Wolfie,
You are both so right...sorry about spreading the word. We will definitely go back..it is well worth the 2 day drive from Brisbane.
Chappo
AnswerID: 105770

Reply By: D-Jack - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:41

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:41
Lived and worked in Streaky Bay for 12 months with opportunities to go shooting, camping, diving, fishing, 4wding and even ab diving. Was a blast and yes, there is heaps there to do. How did you go with the fishing Chappo? What, where and how much did you catch.

Of course near Fowlers Bay is the spot where the biggest Mulloway in Australia come from.

I used to go down to the jetty at Streaky after work for 1/2 hour and catch enough squid/tommies to last a few feeds. Then walk home with the catch, clean, cook and eat before they'd had enough time to die.

But it is an extremely dangerous place. You have 1 in 2 chance of being murdered and I hear there is a high radio-active reading on the whole peninsula. It is not a place for the faint hearted and I would encourage all people to stay away!

D-Jack
AnswerID: 105773

Reply By: Allan Mac (VIC) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:59

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:59
We done that area a couple of years back and have promised that we will return. Absolutely wonderful place. Had a giggle at Fowlers Bay.. The locals were showing us the best spots for fishing and I told them we dont fish . They couldn't get over why we were there. We won the chook raffle at one of the pubs along the track. The locals expected us to hand it back cause they reckoned we would not be able to cook it in the camper.. We had chook for a couple of days after that. marvelous what you can do if you want to
AnswerID: 105778

Reply By: gone bush - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 20:23

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 20:23
yes must agree with you, our fravourate place is Elliston caravan park (the one near the jetty). it is a lovely peaceful park, one that it's alway a problem for us when it's time to go (we never want to leave), the owners are very helpful, they tought us how to catch and then fillet our fish, and then you can use their freezer to keep your catch frozen unitl hometime. the only problem is the traveling to get there and for us it's only a short trip against your's, our's is only a 9 - 10 hour trip. but all worth it when you get there.
AnswerID: 105782

Follow Up By: motherhen - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 22:02

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 22:02
We toured the peninsular in January - and rave about the Elliston CP too. Only trouble is we didn't catch those legendry fish off the jetty - dran near froze though - in January!

FollowupID: 362921

Follow Up By: gone bush - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 22:18

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 22:18
that does suprise me, without a word of a lie and quite a few times we had to stop fishing off of the jetty earlier than expected, our bucket was starting to over flow. at the jetty we mainly got tommies (good sizes too), there is one thing to look out for a big sting ray that lives under the jetty and when it's around the fish aren't also the odd seal sticks around. we did find that berly is a must there. Then onto Sharringa beach in the day time for the salmon. we haven't been there in summer so that might have something to do with it. good luck next time.
FollowupID: 362923

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 21:21

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 21:21
It's the people that make the places. Always has been, always will be. And if you're lucky enough to see the places through the eyes of the locals, you'll really enjoy yourselves.
A few years back the west coast was like that. I suffered culture shock when I came home to the east coast.
But that was before high rises, house prices like phone numbers, backpackers etc etc. I guess we just can't help loving some places to death :))
AnswerID: 105793

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 21:31

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 21:31
goodday all
did anybody call into the iron knob museum we stopped there last year on our way home the people were marvellous they run the place on a shoe string and the gents there were ex miners and full
of info about the area

steve
AnswerID: 105795

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 23:30

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 23:30
I used to stop in at Iron Knob but then the pub burnt down.....not been rebuilt so theses days i just drive on bye.
FollowupID: 362930

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 23:32

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 23:32
As an ex west coaster (well sort of as i lived there for 3 years or so) I would have to say my favourite spots would have to be Acraman Creek and Smoky Bay. Just watch the mozzies at Acramans on a warm summers evening...they are as big as helicopters lol
AnswerID: 105814

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 18:31

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 18:31
we stayed at Acraman Creek for one night during a mouse plague. A couple had their tents chewed through. No place for an open swag. To kill the buggers we would put a bit of food (anthing, even plastic) on the ground around the camp fire under our lifted foot, mouse goes to the foot and bang. One flat mouse. Didn't make a dent in the population but the 20 or so that were thrown into the fire made us feel like we were doing what we could!
FollowupID: 362993

Sponsored Links