Turbo timer 3.0 TDi GU Patrol

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 00:58
ThreadID: 21894 Views:6983 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I had a chat with the bloke in the service dept at nissan the other day about fitting a turbo timer to my patrol. He was quite insistant that it was not a good idea.

According to him, it somehow plays tricks with the fuel pump in the sub tank, and has caused some to not work at all, and others to fill into the main tank without warning !

I don't see why he would lie, so here's a warning to those thinking about it, or has anyone got experience with this ?

Cheers,

Muzz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Martin- Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 01:46

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 01:46
Hi Muzz
We are on our third 3lt and have had turbo timers on all of them with no problems at all do not know what the guy is on about.
AnswerID: 105823

Follow Up By: muzzgit (WA) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 02:08

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 02:08
HMMMMM.

I thought something wasn't right.

Thanks.

I've found a few conversations with this bloke to be quite interesting. He show's all the signs of being confident in what he says but maybe he's a wannabe dipstick who loves leading people up the garden path.. Or maybe he's just misinformed ????

P.S How do you find the Hella spotties. I bought a set 15 years ago on an old FJ45 and was well impressed (1 x spread 1 x spot). I drilled a hole through the bolt that goes into the bull bar and put some small padlocks in to stop the light fingered brigade who frequent the area I used to live in.

When I sold the ute, I sold the spotties to a guy who worked nearby, and on his first 4WD trip, his bullbar fell off his troopie and smashed 'em both (bugger). Not sure they'd fit on the bullbar on my GU but. Doesn't seem to be a lot of room. Cibie oscar's fit nice but are a little inadequate at times.

Cheers,

Muzz
FollowupID: 362936

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:24

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:24
Also, how does this "genuis" possible know how ALL the turbo timers on the market work? How they are installed? Even the same turbo timer can operate differently depending on who installed it and how they did it. Sound's like a total crock to me. But then again, why would nissan want you to extend the life of your turbo and motor??
FollowupID: 362954

Follow Up By: sevo - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 12:38

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 12:38
Gentlemen,
A Tech bulletin was released for concerns with sub tank control after fitment of 'non' genuine electrical accessories,eg Turbo timers. Due to the fact that the body and chassis are not earthed together. But you guys knew that, right?

sevo
FollowupID: 362968

Follow Up By: Member - Martin- Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 15:00

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 15:00
Hi Muzz

No problems with fitting the Hella 4000 spot lights just have to drill new holes a little bit further forward. When we did the change over Nissan in Cannington Re fitted the spot lights on to the new Patrol with new bar and did not move them forward, this resulted in them rubbing the paint off the front grill,so we had them take it off and get it resprayed they were not impressed.
FollowupID: 362982

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:06

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:06
sevo, my point still stands mate.
Especially the bit here "How they are installed?"
You yourself just pointed out it's not a problem with the turbo timer, it's a problem with the installation.
Do it right and it will work fine.
FollowupID: 363180

Reply By: motherhen - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 01:58

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 01:58
Dealers in general don't seem to want to know about add ons - that is why i find i get more advice on exploroz than from nissan. Found a helpful guy at our nissan dealer recently - he'd only been working there for a short while, and has really gone out of his way to find out about our questions, although he is finding it hard to get answers. I get plenty of answers from you guys here. Mind you - i don't know why you aren't asleep this time of night - morning Muzzgit!
AnswerID: 105825

Follow Up By: muzzgit (WA) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 02:19

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 02:19
Yes, goodmorning indeed. It's 12.08 in perth right now so not that late ! Not for me anyway. Jaqui has gone to bed, given up on me, glued to this puter, nipping outside for a ciggie and glass of port every now and then.

The guys at Nissan in Vic Park seem OK but I work in Myaree so I try to duck into Nissan in Melville (down the road) when work time permits. Hav'nt had much luck with service or parts at this one.

When I was looking at trading the FJ62 on a used patrol, I found the sales guys at this one to be the most aggressive as well. Maybe the boss uses the red hot poker too often. te he.

Mind you, they offered me a 4.2 turbo GU at a really good mark down from the ticketed price and offered me the best trade of all the yards I went to. But in the end I went elsewhere because it didn't have barwork or log books.

FollowupID: 362937

Follow Up By: motherhen - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 12:32

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 12:32
Did you get what you wanted?

We were lucky with ours. We went to Perth to look at a 4wd winnebago, but discovered it would not be suitable. We were still having the motorhome v caravan debate. We had been a Toyota family for years, our Hilux enthusiast son had decided Nissan are now the go, and purchased a patrol from the Readers Mart sight unseen. We'd picked it up for him, and found it so comfortable. Leaving the motorhome place we drove past Northside Nissan and called in. We wanted diesel, but my husband wanted auto, in part due to his deafness. They were telling us about the 3 ltr td auto, and said they had one being traded and due in later that day - when it was driven in as traded - not been through their prettying up. Ex govt, with extra large primary fuel tank, heavy duty suspension, bull bar, dual spare wheel carrier, and had been well looked after. Around 50,000 km, less that a year old. They were clever enough to arrange finance to get the sale (pre-arranging finance for govt car auctions wouldn't have been so easy for us at that time). Our caravan is a really bit heavy for it, but it does the job comfortably if you feed it lots of diesel.

Good luck finding what you want, Motherhen
FollowupID: 362967

Follow Up By: muzzgit (WA) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 23:58

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 23:58
I did the deal 2 years ago now. Got a 3.0 auto Patrol with 64,000 K's on it, with an ally bullbar powdercoated in black pebble finnish. The yard I did the deal with offered me $2000 trade for my schmick FJ62 on gas (cough, I almost smacked the guy when he spat that at me !) so I sold it privately in less than a week.

The guy who bought the cruiser new a bargain when he saw one, and I got nearly 4 times what the yard offered me ! That extra money for the cruiser got me 5 new BFG AT's for the Patrol, a dual battery system, beafier springs in the back and change left over to spend on our first big trip with da Jayco.... BROOME. AHH, I just love Broome !
FollowupID: 363022

Reply By: Member - Michael- Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:23

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:23
I'm not too impressed with the melville mob either, had problems with used car dept when I bought my Patrol and have no faith in their service dept in diagnosing faults
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 105845

Reply By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 15:48

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 15:48
Had my timer on for 3 years now , no probs at all . I would to know his thoughs and reasonds why not to put one on . Cheers
AnswerID: 105892

Follow Up By: Member - Bob K (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 17:44

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 17:44
Hi All,
As 3 litre owner and a diesel fitter I am wondering why you feel it necessary to install a turbo timer?? I have my thoughts but (and they don't include the necessity to have a turbo timer) but I am always open to other view points.

Bob k
FollowupID: 362991

Reply By: Kazza055 - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 22:02

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 22:02
Have to agree with Bob K. Why do you need a turbo timer?

My understanding is that if you are hiking along the road at 110kph and scream to a sudden stop and shut down the engine, you are likely to do some damage - but who really drives like that. Generally, by the time you have slowed down and parked safely, the turbo should have cooled down enough to prevent damage. The other point is how many of you are out there thrashing your TD's and driving like a hoon? Might be different with say a Subaru WRX or the likes.

Or am I wrong?

Bob Cheers
AnswerID: 105939

Sponsored Links