Water proof spray?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:15
ThreadID: 21917 Views:3096 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I want to water proof a cloth like bag. It is similar to a luggage suite case bag.
(bought yesterday at a garage sale) (I love garage sales :-) )

I posted a little while ago about the magic of Mineral Turps as a cleaner.

I am wondering if there is a water proofing agent that is "magical" in the same way the turps was.

The bag will be kept inside mostly, but it contains all our bedding ie blankets etc. So I want to minimise the risk of wet blankets should it be left outside.

Thanks

iMusty

PS. Remind me again what SWAMBO? means.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Karl - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:19

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:19
Mate - there are a number of watering proof agents used to seal canvas etc that should work well; however, I can not remember the brand names.

For my work we use some to water proof our sleeping bags etc - whilst it wont save them if they are completely soaked - it does stop heavy dew etc.
AnswerID: 105977

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:03

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:03
goodday imusty
swambo ?she who must be obeyed ????????
on my boots i give them an occasionlal spray of silicone spray helps the water roll off but dont know if it actually waterprooves them

steve
check at bottom of post for proper meanining of swambo
AnswerID: 105989

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:22

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:22
Hello - in my opinion sprays etc will never do a proper job and you need to re apply on a regualr basis. They can also be expensive. I do the occasional bit of bushwalking and while it may seem basic and not involve any high tech , modern solution it cant be faulted - large plastic bag - cheap - light and keeps all the water out (though beware of condensation - dont leave it in the sun unless contents are 100% dry). Also keeps dust out. Garbage or garden bags bags are the cheapest/easiest to get - heavy duty plastic bags can be obtained from a mining supply companies if you want to get something a bit more robust.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 105993

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:50

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:50
I would do one of two things.

1) Line the inside of your newly purchased bag with a very large Tuff Garden Garbage Bag.

2) Use the Completely waterproof "BAJA" bags that are available at good canoe & camping stores. They float, and certainly stop dust & sand. I use a 30 litre yellow one for ALL of my personal clothes & towel in that.

My experience with the waterproofing stuff, is that it gets a bit tacky during the hotter months, and collects dust.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 105996

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:52

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:52
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
so I guess SWAMBO = She Who Always Must Be Obeyed.

It's not in the list at the bottom of the screen, so don't bother looking there.
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 105997

Reply By: old-plodder - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:06

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:06
Was down at the local camping shop a couple of months ago asking about the same problem with waterproofing a jacket.
Have always used silicon spray up to now, but they suggested a product that you wash the item with. They thought it worked better.
Have you tried a local good camping/hiking shop?
AnswerID: 106107

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 12:38

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 12:38
I know there are many products that will provide water resistance.

What I was looking for was the 'unknown' product that people use instead of expensive "newest product releases" on the market.

I think I will settle with plastic bags. They sound foolproof.

byw I used to ride motorbikes and in wet weather I would wear 2 shopping bags over my socks but under my boots. They did work but made my feet sweaty
FollowupID: 363187

Sponsored Links