So, I bombed out on the D 90, so moving on...

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 19:02
ThreadID: 21928 Views:3048 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
... and I spied Roothies test on the Jeep Cherokke Renegade in Africa, in one of my Mags.

Seems to get an okay write up.

Unless I read it wrong, I am guessing that the 2.8 litre diesel is not coming here. I am more than happy to go for the 3.7 V 6 Petrol anyway.

It would seem it has good car manners, and some not bad 4 x 4 abilities. For those who are familiar with "Sky Trek", in the Flinders Ranges, this would be the very hardest track I wish to traverse again, in my lifetime. So, the little Jeep should be okay for the Wolf.

Maybe a small lift, around 50 mm., 6 decent wheels & tyres, nudge bar and small winch. That should cover it.

I was thinking of permanently removing the rear seats, and fabricating a mesh cargo barrier right behind the 2 front seats. In the spot where the rear seats were, I would fabricate a rack to hold the 2 oversize spare wheels & tyres, on the passengers side, and on the drivers side, fabricate a floor level water tank, then above that, fabricate a 3 Jerry Can Holing rack for Petrol. ( Not my fav place, but where else? ) Above the spare tyres, I would have a mesh basket, holding all my recovery stuff.

Behind all of this, like where the rear seat head / back rests were, I would fab up another mesh barrier, which then would separate the tyres'n'stuff, from my meagre solo camping retinue. ( New word, I think it's the right one, and it looks cool...would a Jeep owner use that word??? ).

I don't know what I would do about the indentation where the original spare would have been on the rear tailgate, maybe a canvas rubbish bag or something.

I reckon possibly a small roof basket to hold my swag & chair could be the go as well.

So, over the last year or so, on this forum, I have read, let's say... not very favorable comments on the Jeeps.

1) The 4.0 litre inline 6 is a thirsty bugger, is the 3.7 V 6 the same?

2) The diffs are a little soft. Okay, but will they last me if I am not rock hopping, and trying to churn through endless miles of mud?

3) The build quality left a bit to be desired. Is this still the case?

I am aware that the resale on Jeeps is not great, but I figure I would worry about that in say 5 years or so.

Is the Cherokee a good machine in sand? It's kerb weight indicates that it seems to be light enough, and surely a V6 should give it the grunt.

Any comments will be appreciated, but please bear in mind.... I already have a more rugged 4 x 4 ( Delica ), and it hardly gets a hiding, and the Jeep will be even less, as most of my traveling is simply NOT off the beaten track.

Oh, and why not something else, like Troopy or something? I want something that is a bit smaller that say mid size, without having to sacrifice any moderate off road ability. The new Jeep sort of looks good too..........

Cheers

Wolfie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 20:09

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 20:09
Geez mate, you just HAVE to be different!

Skytrek I believe is a toddle in the park. I had better take you out to Mt Gill at Warraweena to show you some wilder stuff!..........lol

Talk to Member 'Lucy' ( Ken Robinson )......he has a new diesel Jeep which he uses as his 'town car' ( like my 84 Landcruiser...the poor peoples Jeep)
AnswerID: 106035

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 20:29

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 20:29
Rothie's write up onthe diesel Jeep was very favourable. As Willem says, speak to Lucy. I reckon a Terracan would be good value for money for what you want as well Wolfie, speak to Jimbo, he loves his.
AnswerID: 106037

Reply By: Utemad - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:55

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:55
There is one in our 4x4 club. It has a rear air locker but the rest is standard. It goes very well on our clubs trips although as with all IFS vehicles it goes most places on 3 wheels. It looks a little low but still gets through.

I still don't like the look.
Don't know any more about it though.
AnswerID: 106067

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 08:19

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 08:19
Wolfie , i am assuming you want the 2 door convertible ? Good luck fittinf half your list in that vehicle . Tyres on the roof bars ? think again mate , will kake it to top heavy. At least the shorty is the only member of the Jeep family with a chassis , all the rest come with a sub frame like all 2 wheel drive vehicles . Also note all issues with shorties in liftinf and add some problems for Jeep. Even a 2 " lift need to drop the crossmember down for drive angles and adjustable Pan ard rods .

As from what I have gathered you are looking new , I wont go into the cost of replacement parts on Jeep. I know I once felt like bending over when i was quoted $700 for a secondhand head light and $650 for a rear window glass.

cheers
AnswerID: 106101

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 21:27

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 21:27
Eric, I am thinking the 4 door Cherokee Renegade / Sport.

Will the lift still be a problem? The monocoque (sp) body shouldn't be an issue for me, as I don't think I will be giving it a good caning at all.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 363264

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 21:39

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 21:39
Are you thinking new ? or secondhand ?

At least New you will have factory warranty to help with the pricy bits .

i think for the money you can do much better , I have always found the yank cars very bland inside , with old tech to boot . This includes the F series trucks .

Just my view anyway.
FollowupID: 363269

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 06:59

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 06:59
Eric, I am wanting to go new.

The unit I want is still not here in Australia, it comes here in a few months.

I have had a look at others, and I agree, they are a little spartan & bland, and the low tech might be a bonus.

Aside from that, are they okay for moderate off road use? Again, this vehicle will spend nearly all it's time on the city roads, but when I go away, I guess sand is probably the most I will drive on, not rock hopping or mud, well, sort of not!

Wolfie
FollowupID: 363305

Sponsored Links