dual batteries

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 21:29
ThreadID: 21934 Views:2590 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
gday, just after some suggestions on dual batteries. i have a gu 2.8 patrol, im tossing up between a deep cycle or a high cranking amp batt. i will be installing a smart solinoid in the system. thanks dion
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 21:49

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 21:49
Hi Cainy,
Haven't stated what 2nd is for. Am presuming that it is to run car fridge or similar. If it is the case I would suggest the deep cycle for its capability. Longer lasting than a high cranking battery.

Darryl
AnswerID: 106049

Follow Up By: cainy - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:01

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:01
thanks darryl, i want to install a fridge and about 3-4 cigaret lighter sockets in the back. for fluros and spotlights and stuff.
FollowupID: 363129

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:10

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:10
You've opened a can of worms on this one. Personally I run a Deep Cycle and do exactly what you are proposing to do. IMHO that's what deep cycle batteries were designed for and that's what you should use. I don't have problems with charging etc as some people will tell you. However in saying all this I know of a lot of people using cranking batteries as Aux batteris and as long as they don't let them run down too low they don't seem to have any problems either. You will find that a cranking battery will charge quicker than a deep cycle, but a deep cycle will take more punishment as there are less cells in it and the cells are actually bigger and stronger than a cranking battery.

Shop around with batteries before spending your hard earned $$$ as the prices can vary dramatically. Don't just look at battery shops and auto shops, try some other alternatives. I got some excellent prices on batteries through an agricultral supplier.
AnswerID: 106056

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 23:00

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 23:00
Spot on Jeff, with the agricultural supplier too, or often a country garage.
FollowupID: 363143

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 00:24

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 00:24
Agreed. I use an N70ZZ size deep cylce in my patrol and find it does take a while to recharge after two or three days camping. I used to use a normal cranking battery in my last forby without any real drama's but thought I'd give the deep cylcle a go this time.
AnswerID: 106075

Reply By: Pedro14 - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 07:57

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 07:57
Check out these sites for a bit of info on batteries ,inverters and solar.

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/Info.htm

Mr Val at fridge and solar is very helpful and looked after my needs with an AGM battery, which is used to run car friodge. He has some excellent technical articles , on above thread.

This one I came across following a post by a member of forum

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Pedro
AnswerID: 106098

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 08:05

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 08:05
cainy,

How about doing a search of the Forum Archives. This question has been raised at least a thousand times.

Me? I use two Century Overlander 4x4 700cca(17 plate) cranking batteries coupled with a Rotronics MH10 battery isolator. I run a fridge, HF, GPS, Inverter, Flouro light etc of the 2nd battery. Battery can last up to 48 hours running the fridge full time on low setting. My touring does not involve sitting still at campsites so the batteries get charged up regularly as I am usually on the move.

Works a treat!
AnswerID: 106099

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:31

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:31
Cainy,
the web site mentioned above ->
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
"Marks 12 volt info" was excellent reading and I found it was not biased as most are, by not selling any products, only offering genuine and relevant information.

I also would recommend you get a Deep Cycle battery for the reasons mentioned on the web site and my own personal experience with DC batteries, and more importantly a decent isolator, as the isolator actually controls how and when the auxiliary battery is charged, as is mentioned elsewhere some people can get two days from a start battery when used as an auxiliary battery, because their batteries get charged up regularly as they are usually on the move.

I use Deep Cycle batteries and a solar panel because I don't like the idea of having to start the vehicle daily just to recharge the battery, my batteries recharge while I'm diving or eating, without any noise or me being there to turn it on and off.
AnswerID: 106202

Sponsored Links