Experienced replys only

Submitted: Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 21:43
ThreadID: 21975 Views:2580 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm heading to the Canning Stock Route and have decided (90%) that a roof top tent is the way to go. Has anyone had experience with this type of travelling -good/bad etc. I'm looking at a Sippshape model the guys from Boilybilly had on there Explore Australia by 4WD. I have a 80 series cruiser - will a rooftop tent fit on a standard ARB roof rack?.
Any advice re setups for the CSR would be most welcome.

Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:44

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:44
I have had a EasyAwn rooftop tent for 4 years now and am totally pleased with it.

http://www.opensky.com.au/RoofTopTents.htm

Pros
Set up in about 5 minutes
pack away 10 minutes
above the critters
sleeping bag and pillows inside tent not cab.

Cons
Make sure you have 'settled' for the night as you can't just 'pop down the road' if you have forgotten the bread.
Don't forget to go weeeze before retireing its' a pain having to go down the ladder in the middle of the night :-)

I have travelled the top end, tanami, GRR, melbourne, hot, cold, snow and would thoroughly recommend them.

Horses for courses

I am 6'3" and
AnswerID: 106376

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 19:41

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 19:41
You may Member Message Des Lexic who has a Shippshape on the top of his 100 series.

I removed my roofrack for the Canning trip and kept the weight distribution and centre of gravity down low. Just as well as I busted 2 brand new front shockies and the truck bounced around for about 40 wells.

To solve the 'getting up in the night' syndrome take a bottle with you. If you are female I have no idea lol
AnswerID: 106410

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:26

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:26
Thanks Willem
Your info is appreciated.
We were thinking of having only the tent up top plus 1 spare wheel.
I was told by various people that this would not weigh enough to affect the centre of gravity by a great deal, I don't know for sure - however I will take your advice on board - thankyou.
Cheers
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 363506

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:02

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:02
We had a roof top tent and found the distance between the matress and the underside of tent was very small so look for roomy comfort when lying down before you buy
It felt uncomfortable having the tent roof so close to your face but I believe newer version are built better
Could you do me a favour
We are leaving for the canning on the 30 th July and expect to enter from north around 2nd week in August.We would appreciate some feed back from your trip as to Drinkable water and the Fuel availability at the Community at the 800 km mark from the North (approx 1100 kms from Wiluna) we will have to rely on this resupply and up to date info would be fantastic. Have a great trip and my email is tecewebb@bigpond.net.au
AnswerID: 106431

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:20

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:20
Thanks Trevor - info is appreciated.
I forgot to mention our trip on the CSR will not take place until next year.
So I will would like any feedback from you re your trip if possible.
Have a great trip and keep safe.
Cheers
Mike
mtull@bigpond.net.au

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 363504

Sponsored Links