cahill's crossing NT

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:25
ThreadID: 21987 Views:12168 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone We are requiring information on how low cahill's crossing has to be to safely cross it.We know to use darwins tide chart & add 5 hours. As we might not be able to cross in daylight hours on the day we are booked in. We thought we might change the arrival day to another. Anyone's thought on this would be appreciated.

Boshie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:40

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:40
Knowing how fast the water flows across the crossing I wouldn't enter it until it had dropped to around 300-400mm, just in case a log had snagged on the crossing whether it be alive or dead, there are some pretty big lizards that hang around there.

Give the Border Store a ring or the store at Oenpelli.
AnswerID: 106306

Follow Up By: boshie - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:16

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:16
Thanks for the information We will ring the border store to find out
Not really worried bout the lizards we'll just be extra cautious around
the rivers. We live with them all the time on cape york

Thanks again
FollowupID: 363321

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:11

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:11
I've crossed it at dead low a few times, there is a pretty big drop on the downstream side, it can also be very slippery as well as quite rough.
I've also crossed it at about 300 -400 mm and you could feel the water pushing the the troopy, the camper trailer was at an angle too.
what sort of vehicle? , heavier/higher vehicles will have less probs then lower ones.
Second the reply that said to ask at the store or Ranger station for up to date info.
Lot's of crunchitalls around too.
AnswerID: 106310

Follow Up By: boshie - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:19

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:19
we have a landcruiser ute towing a 14 foot boat on a 4wd trailer.
Don't really want to push the extremes if we don't have to. So will be taking on your advice to ring the ranger station or the border store Might ring both actually. We want to have a safe & very happy trip
with lots of fishing .
Thanks again
FollowupID: 363322

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:25

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:25
I take it you are heading to Coburg?
AnswerID: 106319

Follow Up By: boshie - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:28

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:28
Yes we are off to corbourg for a week of relaxing & fishing. We have wanted to do this trip for the last 10 years & we are finally going . Any idea's on good spots to visit in the NT would be appreciated.

Boshie
FollowupID: 363323

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:01

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:01
If you have a sounder in the boat there is a good reef about 4 nautical miles NE of the point after you leave the small bay where you can launch a boat - be side the wharf.

I'ts also worth a trip down to the Victoria Settlement, but be very carefull about the tides a boat as big as yours is a bit heavy to drag across the mud flats at low tide.
FollowupID: 363328

Reply By: tonysmc - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:07

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:07
I have a tide chart that says Cahills Crossing is + 9:25 hours from Darwins tides. The River Mouth is + 3 hours. As said above the crossing can get very slippery and a few cars have gone off there. Depending how soon after the wet season, usually there is only a trickle going over when the tide is right out. The problem when the water is too deep and you are towing a boat, the boat starts to float and drags you sideways. If you are crossing with some water depth, the best way is to cross just as the tide starts to push back in and so that the incoming tide counteracts the river flow. If you get there and the water is still flowing out just have a cuppa and wait. We have crossed many times and have been worried about the height of the water only to find a trickle when we got there! Just a hint heading to Coburg fresh water is on the right and ocean is to the left. Some times with tidal rivers its hard to know if they are coming in or going out!
AnswerID: 106322

Follow Up By: boshie - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:40

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:40
Where can I get one of your tide charts, It's always good to have too much info than too little & get into trouble. Thanks for advice will take into hand
Boshie
FollowupID: 363331

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 19:15

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 19:15
Here is a list that I have for you, remember that some of these times will vary depending on the size of the tide. A Neap tide (small tide) will travel up a river a lot slower if at all than a spring tide (big tide) There is a creek on the way in, a few K’s from the camping ground. You may not notice it as it is so small, but if you follow the track off the main road, it opens out to a nice creek mouth. You can launch your boat here and have a nice fish and mud crabbing if it gets too windy to go out offshore from the pier. We found it a good place to leave from to go to Port Essington as the wind would pick up in the Arvo’s at the time of year when we were there and it saved a few K’s in the boat. There is a good fishing book with lots of local maps and GPS points you can get from all the fishing stores in Darwin or Katherine. Hope this helps. Have fun.

Time Differences from Darwin.

Adelaide River Bridge + 5:17
Adelaide River Bridge + 0:55
Burge Point - 0:10
Cape Hotham + 0:58
Chambers Bay - 4:43
Daly River - 0:54
East Alligator Rv Mouth + 3:00
Cahills Crossing + 9:25
Fitzmaurice Rv Mouth + 1:50
Pearce Point + 1:04
Peron Island North + 0:03
Port Essington - 1:46
Pt Stuart + 1:53
Shady Camp Barrage + 4:30
South Alligator Rv Mouth + 2:37
? South Alligator Bridge + 5:30 ( I think, this is a guess from memory)
Tapa Bay - 0:59
Victoria Rv Mouth Same
West Alligator Head + 0:59
West Alligator Rv Mouth + 1:47

FollowupID: 363581

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:29

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:29
We've been up there twice and didn't get to victoria settlement either time as our boat was too small (it is about 30k to vic from black point) and there are two headlands down port essington that are not very far apart, when the tide is running either way these act like a weir and there was a step in the ocean which I thought was abit risky in a small boat. We had a 12' with 15hp and it wasn't enough, could only just keep ahead of the tides. the big boat that takes tours wasn't running on both occasions.
The second time we were up there another party had a14' deep sided punt with 25 hp and they were swamped at the 'step', bit of a worry as there are lots of very big things in the water around there, we saw about a 14' shark just at the entrance to the creek just down from the bay where you launch near the jetty.
The best campsite is the second one, you just have the little alcoves/campsites in the trees so you get a breeze all the time and it helps a tiny bit in keeping the mossies at bay which are huge and bountiful. No gennies allowed there either, only at the first campsite which is surrounded by scrub and no breeze.
Both times we went there the road was pretty good till the NP boundary and then deteriorated rapidly into bad corrugations, unless it has been graded it could be an interesting run this year as that cyclone went straight over the top of Black point.
AnswerID: 106331

Follow Up By: boshie - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:53

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:53
Our 14foot is not a punt but we'll have a look at the step & decide then It will be good just to look at the step. Is it very big!!
shame you haven't got to visit victoria settlement> thanks for the info about the camping sites the road in will be an experience I suppose but we will enjoy it no matter what. Are you going there again this year if so when?/
Boshie
FollowupID: 363347

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:19

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:19
the step varies, depend on the tides, weatehr etc, might not be obvious sometimes at all, it was like a permanent wave as the tide all tried to get out through about a kilometer wide gap between the headlands.
AnswerID: 106345

Follow Up By: boshie - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:59

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:59
I actually hope I get to see it It sounds like it would be unreal to see!!
I am looking forward to seeing the coast line by boat . They say it's a very rugged coastline. And hopefully catch a big barra . Do some catch & release fishing
thanks again
Boshie
FollowupID: 363357

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 19:13

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 19:13
Frankly I would wait until the water has drained from the concrete causeway. There have been lots of tales of horror on that crossing including one that happened to friends of mine. They were worried about the crossing when they arrived there in convoy with a club and the water was about 500mm deep. A mate in his V8 Landcruiser said he would tow them across....no worries. Right in the middle of the river the tow rope let go and the little Pajero started drifting off the causeway. It slowly turned over in deep water. They scrambled out of the car and on to the chassis. Suddenly a large croc appeared from nowhere. Luckily a fisherman nearby in a boat saw their predicament and rescued them. The Pajero sank and was recovered 3 days later. They cleaned it out and it gave very good service for many years after that. Recently the local cops drove off the updside of the causeway and could not leave the truck until the tide receded. They decided to do some fishing to while away the time.
AnswerID: 106400

Reply By: Bros - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:08

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:08
boshie,
Try
http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography
You can print out tide times for all over Aus for now and years in the future.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 106415

Sponsored Links