Viscount Aerolite

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 18:35
ThreadID: 22035 Views:5367 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Please advise. I have been offered a Viscount Aerolite for a realistic price but have been told they are faulty in the drawbar. I would appreciate any advice on the aerolite that anyone might have. Thank You, Judy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 19:09

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 19:09
Just did a WEA (Adult Education) course on caravanning and camping. The instructor specifically mentions the Viscount Aerolites as being a little light on for strength, the whole point of the design. He's even seen the whole under carriage bowed.

His advice, don't buy one, don't take it off the black stuff.

Me, I wouldn't know but thats the message.

Regards
Russell
AnswerID: 106565

Follow Up By: gone bush - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 19:52

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 19:52
Sorry don't know any thing about the Viscounts but I am interested in the WEA caravaning and camping course that you did, I've never heard of one before and it sounds quite interesting, could you please give me some information on it? I too live in SA. Thanks.
FollowupID: 363591

Follow Up By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 20:10

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 20:10
Try

WEA

for Caravan and Camping Course 53115a Next Course Starts 5th July 2005, costs $45.00

Regards
Russell
FollowupID: 363594

Reply By: dingbat - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 20:43

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 20:43
Judy
Good advice from previous post --Aerolites were light because the chassis members were lightly constructed and were full of holes-allright in Europe where the chassis came from but not much good on our rougher tar and gravel roads--a better alternative to the Aerolite would be the Ultralight(later called Venturers to escape from the Aerolite stigma), which had normal rectangular section chassis but still had the foam sandwich type walls, good ones are still ok--we have one( a Venturer) and it has not fallen apart yet. Another problem some people see with them is the ALKO rubber suspension still used on some modern campers but could be expensive to replace-often causes uneven tyre wear when aged. The Aerolite was the beginning of the end for the original Viscount company as shortly afterwards -early 90's went out of business due to the downturn in sales from association with the Aerolite and the effects of the fuel price crisis--probably about to happen again. Bearing that in mind note that many old aerolites are still plugging along because they were treated with care and not bashed on rough roads.
Help this helps
Ding
AnswerID: 106582

Reply By: Tarester - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 21:08

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 21:08
Thanks guys, I'm new at this and do not want to buy a "lemon" or even a potential one........... By the way, am looking for a 15-16ft 2nd hand van, preferably pop-top that will sleep 2 people seperately. Up to about $10,000. Only prob is that I live in FNQ so pick up southwards could be a tad tricky. If anyone hears of any............
Regards Judy...
AnswerID: 106590

Reply By: peter4331 - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 19:37

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 19:37
I intend to travel up the centre and down the west coast in june /july and august towing a 1983 Viscount Aerolite,spoke to various people regarding these vans and was told by a few people wound'nt tow any thing else if you stick to the bitumen due to their lightness and the cost of fuel,chassis did have a problem cracking but this was overcome with a modification kit which stopped the flexing of the chassis.
Anyway I'll see how it goes,don't intend to tow on the dirt.
Best of luck looking for a van,took me awhile.
Peter.
AnswerID: 107054

Sponsored Links