Follow up on 75 series cruiser making weird noises

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 20:39
ThreadID: 22146 Views:5614 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks for all the info from last post in February. We've been busy with work and what not and have not had time or money to isolate what the problem was with our cruiser until now.

The problem we found with the steering(it was making clunk noises when doing three point turns and roundabouts) was the leaf springs so we are going to upgrade the suspension in the next few weeks (OME or KINGSPRINGS)-not sure yet.

As for when cruiser is in 4WD mode with front hubs locked in, the passenger side front wheel was making a clunk/bang noise on sand so we have come to the conclusion that it may be the cv joint. We have not had an expert opinion yet but have done our own testings and research from friends and it sounds the most logical at the moment. We thought originally that the clunk/bang sound was coming from the rear and we were going to fit an ARB airlocker but have discovered since then that the problem is with only the front passenger side.

So if anybody else can add anything or help us out with any other ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wilbur - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:08

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:08
hi i was just wondering on the conditon of the rubber's in the spring hanger's as i had a older landcruiser with worn rubbers that would clunk when it turned (springs shifting across) and would recomend checking king pin bearins hope it helps
AnswerID: 107156

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 00:27

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 00:27
Have you got that O/heating, no power issue sorted yet mate.
FollowupID: 364149

Reply By: udm - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:05

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:05
Is it more like a clank/clank/clank sound? From our experience on 80 series, if they have done 200.00kms, the cv joints are gone. Nice job to replace them, messy though.
Ulises
AnswerID: 107172

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 00:26

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 00:26
Evening Kyako

I have a 75 series Troopy which had all the noises you describe (I have posted on this before by the way) especially in the Factory spring packs and shackles.

Diagnosed it by 'hosing' the spring packs and shackles out with WD40 typw spray.

It stopped the noise immediately, however came back after a wash and pressure hose out.

Ended up replacing the Original sprink packs with Kings and Kings greasable shackles.

B A S T A R D S did the same after a pressure spray/hose out.

Back to the spray fix, however this time I discovered a Lanolin based spray called LANOTEC. Hosed them out thoroughly with that and not a peep out of them since.

It leaves a film of Lanolin in between the leafs etc etc.

Can't help with that CV noise thing-a-my though.

Have a good one.

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 107185

Reply By: Hero - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 08:15

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 08:15
Can confirm the same, ive heard this happen to two mates cruisers, Do you find it gets worse when it gets wet? Found it was the leaves slipping and grabbing, making a clunking noise - they have not found a reliable solution yet other than pack with grease, will pass on the lanolin trick to them.
AnswerID: 107196

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 11:38

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 11:38
Well yes and No.

It became worse after a pressure clean of the spring packs and shakles.

However as it dried out it was just horrendous. Making real snapping bangs that reverberated up through the front floor pan area. Frightened the living daylights out of me until figured out what it was.

I just make sure I give the spring packs a good spray all round including the shackles with the LANOTEC every now and again and it cures it completely.

The LANOTEC even survives a pressure clean to a fair extent.

FollowupID: 364163

Reply By: ianmc - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:54

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:54
Would it be anything to do with Toyota,s crazy idea of having the shackles at the front end of the spring instead of the reverse where it can work to absorb deflections better??
Also no one has mentioned wind-up which occurs when the inner wheel on a turn travels a much shorter distance than the outer, that is it should if it wasnt connected thru a drive shaft (front) thru the transfer case to the rear wheels which cut the corner & travel even less distance on the road thus placing enormous
strain on the fixed mechanicals. Real noise potential here!
AnswerID: 107311

Reply By: kyako - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 21:47

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 21:47
Thanks for all your info from our last post in May.Ive recently bought a cv joint for the left and bearings for both sides and rear, myself and a mate are gunna have ago at replacing it.In the last post i mentioned suspensions and i know this is a very talked about issue and everybody has there own preference.

I have been to ARB sent emails to EFS, TJM , 4WAYSUSPENSIONS and 4WD1.BIZ ect and iam looking at $2100 to $2500 so the Question is do i spend the big bucks or settle for an IRONMAN or CROSSCOUTRY that will be $1000 cheaper. But as the saying goes you get what you paid for....all quotes include(shockies,leafsprings heavy duty,shackles and pins, ubolts, bush kit, steering dampner and 2" lift).
So which Brand can somebody help me?
Also have had mates tell me to do a spring over axle conversion.Is it worth doing or would it cost more in the long run eg..would it stuff up my handling or do damage to the leaf spring.I know that Snake Racing sell u bolts for this purpose should i purchase a set of those?By the way i Drive a HZJ75 series Landcruiser.
AnswerID: 111531

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 00:32

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 00:32
kyako,

Go with the well known brands of suspension. Ever thought why some are a lot cheaper than all the others. Find out where the springs are made and from what country the steel come from. So time ago there were springs on the market that were dirt cheap, the steel came from China. Didn't last long.

As for the springs being on top of the axle, I don't know. The Troopie is unstable enough now, with out raising it another 4". Plus all the legals etc, etc.

I to have the turning clunk and might try some grease in between the leaves. If you lock both hubs and drive in a tight circle, a 5 acre paddock is ideal, and can hear a constant clicking noise coming from on side, then that is a good indication that the CV is shot.

Before you pull the whole front hub apart have a look at the free wheeling hub assembly, mine had come adrift and would not unlock. 5 minute job to replace the hub.

Wayne
AnswerID: 111562

Sponsored Links