Vic high country

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:08
ThreadID: 22148 Views:1832 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at doing a trip to the high country this comming long weekend and am hoping someone can give me an idea on where to head. We intend to start at Mansfield and can only alow an overnighter (2 Days). How many hours drive to Lake cobler and what is the camp area like? Busy? We will be taking T/D Jackaroo and SWB Maverick Both with 2" lift and snorkel.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:15

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:15
Follow the thousands of others. Busy? Its a long weekend.. what do you think?

buy yourself the Huts of Highcountry map, and follow it.
AnswerID: 107158

Reply By: Jack2000 - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 09:34

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 09:34
Somewhere like Pineapple Flat makes a good base (make sure you have a good map of the area). Camp site will be busy but you'll find something (particularly if you drove straight in there on Friday night or Saturday morning). My memory is that Pineapple Flat is about 75mins from Mansfield, via Mt Stirling Rd, Circuit Rd, King Basin Rd.

From there, popular tracks include Weston Tk, Wild Horse Gap Tk, Clear Hills Tk (Craigs Hut/Mt Stirling), the Staircase (Speculation), Howqua Gap Tk (between Mt Buller and Mt Stirling), and the list goes on...

Have a great time!
AnswerID: 107208

Reply By: Happy GU Owner - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 18:57

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 18:57
Yackaroo,

It is a great area of the high country, and as already stated, Pineapple Flat is a good base area to start from, or camp at. If you haven't been up there before, I would make base camp at Pineapple Flat and head out from there, (even though Pineapple Flat is great, there are some better camping spots along the King river, when following the King Basin track - all easy four wheeling). Pineapple flat is very central for going up to Lake Cobbler or Craigs Hut, and easier to find/ regroup if you don't travel together. Use this trip to find the right spots along the river for next time.

Just did Wild Horse Gap track, The Staircase, and Lake Cobbler recently and it was fantastic. You can also camp up at Lake Cobbler if you like, but for my money, it is better down on the river flats. If you don't like the challenge of The Staircase, and think that you may damage your vehicles, then you can go straight ahead, and use Little Cobbler track to get up to Lake Cobbler as it is of an easy standard. This last time, there were two vehicles hung up on the steps, a Ford Explorer and a Jackaroo, both managed to get through with some help and direction from me, and no damage (I still dont know how the Explorer made it up with losing his rear bumper and sills, as it looked to me like he only had around 180mm clearance to the sills and with all the bumps and scrapes !!!!! Goodness me!! I know it if was my vehicle, Murphy's law would have seen a huge repair bill).

From Pinepple Flat it is around 2-3 hours to Lake Cobbler, depending on route, sightseeing, other vehicles, etc.

Just one tip if you are staying at Pineapple Flat - stop five minutes before you get there to collect firewood, as it is very popular, firewood is not as easy to collect.

Mic
AnswerID: 107272

Follow Up By: yackaroo - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 20:30

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 20:30
Mic,
The staircase sounds good, Imnot into anything extreem (i drive a Jackaroo after all) but i dont mind a bit of a challenge. hopefully there will be some reasonable water crossings too. i brought a map today and wonnangatta looks good for this sort of driving. thanks for the tip, makes good sense.
FollowupID: 364246

Follow Up By: Jack2000 - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:54

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:54
G'day Mic - that was me you helped on the Staircase - thanks again mate!! Great weekend wasn't it!

Yackaroo, I got stuck because I chose completely the wrong line up over the biggest step! Not smart, wasn't concentrating at all! Got stuck on top of step, Mic (who has a very nicely set up Patrol I must say) redirected me and away we went. Jackablue has posted some photos of him going up Staircase (with no probs at all) in his Jackaroo - just stick to the left going up (rather than trying to power over the biggest rocks like me) and you'll be fine!!

Have fun!

Mic, been anywhere interesting lately?
FollowupID: 364275

Follow Up By: Happy GU Owner - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:32

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:32
Hi Peter - Jack2000,

We are going up to Woods Point (Hopefully) with a group of us this weekend, so that should be a bit of fun - might even strap on the Mountain Bikes or take the dirt bikes.

My boss at work, booked us in for a trade show, Thursday, Friday and SATURDAY - long weekend!!!! - what was he thinking. My presence is requested all day Saturday, and then, last night he says to me that I have to go in on Sunday to pack up. Fat chance of that I said, I am goooonnnnne Saturday night.

It's good to know that you are on here, and now I know where I can catch you.

Mic
FollowupID: 364541

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:39

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:39
Pity you have to go on a long weekend. It's so nice up there when it isn't.

Spent Labour Day at Wonnangatta last year against my better judgement. The immediate company was good, the rest of them mainly were not.

Dave
AnswerID: 107302

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:17

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:17
... Pity you have to go on a long weekend. It's so nice up there when it isn't.

100% agree.

...The immediate company was good, the rest of them mainly were not.

100% agree more often than not you read threads stating this on the board :(
FollowupID: 364282

Sponsored Links