living permanently on the road ?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 24, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2217 Views:2043 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
will have to live out of trailer -large will take mattress for self & hubby -can do odd jobs to subby out the mature age allowance -have to sell up our goods & chattells ,pack up the memories etc to the grandchildren.Is there anyone else out there who would correspond with they experiences of do & don`ts -not concerned about outback etc we are a fairly resourceful pair but now we have to go as bankrupts after a long haul -no need to go into the drearies -just want to live in good health and meet the great citizens out there wherever.With another vehicle and resourceful drivers we can handle the elements.realise its best to try and hang around on the coast till the Good Rains come for all those poor farmers and rural business.First time at this forum line so tell me if no one wants to exchange ideas for living on the road.safe travel out there for all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00
Spent 5 years on the road towing a 27 ft Viscount. Of that time approx 10% was spent in Caravan Parks, normally of necessity. The rest was all road and bush camping. The biggest thing of being on the road is carrying too much gear. You tend to want to take all the luxuries of a home with you. At one stage our van was 1.5 tonne over the legal limit. We were constantly dropping off gear with friends. We were running a wholesale business and covered 200,000km in the 5 year period. The biggest expense was fuel. You may contact me at wjkempen@ozemail.com.au if you have any specific questions. Cheers, Willie
AnswerID: 7836

Follow Up By: Janjon - Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thank You Willie for your informative reply - after living onsite for 12 years we are used to the basics but still haved collected a mountain of bits--charity shops 10 grandchildren and others will receive the luxuries.
gardening will be missed -but plan on learning more of our natural products of the bush.I know this trailer will be packed and repacked several times before we get out the gate ,have good collection of camp ovens and can cook so we won`t starve .the first 3 months will be the worst I feel but the benefit of NO WORRIES of trying to survive in rural business will be gone.With hubby with his key-cutting machine and fishing rod repairs ,me with 17yrs exp in tax returns and BAS of the last 2 yrs we will eke out a living.Already studying the rest areas etc so here goes.Probably be March /April all subject to rain coming for those farmers and rural town people -no water out there now so we don`t want to be an added burden on their water.Feel this country will receive the 100yr flood by mar/april .Thank you again and I will keep your pers address. janjon
FollowupID: 3640

Follow Up By: Janset - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00
Hi guys. I wish you the best. Just a point that you may or may not be aware of. In most camping shops for a small few bucks you can get booklets that give you free camping sites. Hope this helps. Regards
FollowupID: 3645

Reply By: Melissa - Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00

Hi JanJon, My folks went bust when I was in my late teens. A couple of years later they packed up the Kingswood and took off on an extended tenting trip staying mostly in NP's, crown land and sometimes got permission off station owners (western Qld) to stay on their property. They had a great time. Eventually, by earning a bit extra doing craft markets and a small loan from their kids, they were able to buy a cheap, but good caravan. Many years later, they got into an older type Landcruiser which was better for towing and traded their 16ft van in for a slightly smaller, but much lighter van. Until giving it away a couple of years ago due to age and ill-health, they had spent 14 years travelling all around Oz and had a wonderful time. Mostly, they stayed in CVP's but made the most of free campsites and roadside stops when they could. They joined the great migration of grey (and not so grey) nomads north for the dry season, and headed south again as soon as it started getting warm. They found CVP's a great social hub and regularly met up with the same travellers along the way. And year after year they would return to their favourite towns (Darwin, Broome etc) for reunions with with freinds made in previous years. They regularly rec'd invitations to stay with friends at their various homes all round Oz. These days minus caravan, they still stay with various friends and receive reciprocal visits. They never had any major breakdowns or problems, probably due to the easy pace they set. The just ambled along at about 80km/h, never pushing themselves or their rig too far in any one day. Biggest problem was overloading. I once went to the little cupboard above the wheel arch and saw daylight. They had so much stuff in the van the tyres had rubbed and worn through the wheel arch. Dad had truck tyres fitted and the springs strengthened and lifted which solved the problem of the rubbing but they were still overloaded. Occasionally they'd have a big clean-out but inevitably they'd soon be back to overloaded. It seemed to me they just wanted all the comforts of home and didn't really do without anything or make-do. Personally, I reckon if you haven't used something for say 2mths (not including winter clothing etc), you don't need it. There are quite a few good publications on free places to camp around Oz. You'll recoup the purchase price in only 1 or 2 nights savings in accom. so they are a good investment. Talk to people you meet on the road and ask them for advise on where to stay, shop, cheap fuel etc. Also, don't know where you are intending to travel, but here's another tip...During peak holiday season in many of WA's NP's, CALM appoint camp hosts who in exchange for a free site, collect camping fees, clean the loo's and generally act as a caretaker of the camp site. I doubt you'd get into this at the more popular parks but I've seen them advertising for camp hosts in less popular places. Could be worth contacting CALM if this sounds like something you might like to do. Don't know about other states, but it might be worth finding out. Hope all this helps. If you have any specific queries, feel free to ask. My experience of this forum is that people are ready and willing to offer advise and help where they can. Regards, Melissa
AnswerID: 7843

Reply By: janjon - Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00

A BIG THank You Melissa for detailed report -after a lousy day of nil customers you have made my day. I will keep you posted of our ways.sorting out gear in our caravan home now ,yes you are right about keepng goods.Living in avan for past 10yrs has taught me that "if have`nt used it in 12 months out it goes to charity shop".Unfortunately we need every cent now so will try to sell our surplus, even a dollar will assist.
Our business is retail fishing tackle so over 17yrs fishing reels were collected -hopefully now we have some bargains to sell!!!
Health will improve ,along with our fitness ,and yes will contact CALM for those holiday earners .Have also found NT does same also ,so hope our load gets us north and to the west.Again Thank you janjon
AnswerID: 7860

Follow Up By: Melissa - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Hi JanJon, Glad you found my post useful. If you have any queries/concerns, feel free to contact me on gmmkuipers@bigpond.com.au. Your health and fitness will improve without all the stress. My folks were very down after losing everything they had worked hard for, but they picked themselves up and just said this is a new beginning, and made a wonderful retirement for themselves when they could have easily thrown the hat in. They'll always have me deepest admiration for that. Can't put you in touch with M&D because they aren't online but we used to go a meet up with them in various places around Oz. Sometimes we'd do some more rigorous trips together. With the experience you both have, I'm sure you'll be able to earn a bit along the way. Your husband might pick up a bit of business from fellow travellers if you stick a little sign outside your site advertising his skills. My husband and I are both accountants (him tax, me corporate) so I know for a fact your bookkeeping skills will serve you well. Maybe you could offer some CVP's etc your services in exchange for free accom. Good luck with your planning. :-)Melissa
FollowupID: 3643

Reply By: Member - David - Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Janjon , My wife and i are departing Adelaide mid Jan 2003 on a trip around Aust, Just wondering which way you are heading first and where you will be departing from ............Chears and best of luck to you
DAVE
AnswerID: 7863

Reply By: johnsy - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

janjon hit the road and watch the stress wash off yuor fitness improve and the sunsets get better .The territory has work aplenty for those who want it !caretakers jobs tourist industry, bookkeeper youll never get out of the NT. and dont forget when it gets hot road house owners like a break and if you drive past a road crew out the back of now where stop and see if they need a roller driver or lollypop person you wont starve ,just be friendly.
AnswerID: 7876

Reply By: Blackie - Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00
Here' a very new site dedicated to your ideas. you will have to join up but I don't think that's too difficult.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/livingontheroad/
AnswerID: 7894

Follow Up By: Janjon - Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00
thanks Blackie!You will hear more later on from me --today travelled 50klms each way to set the headlights in ,attachh the bull bar -paint the underside of timber for floor for our' penshina'mate who is coming with us -learning the benefits of velly good german sausage and then out further to do a farm Bas form as its due tomorrow for the right royal gov`t .in all its getting late now and the cuppa is sweet.Thank you for details.Cheers janjon
FollowupID: 3663

Reply By: Norm - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Janjon

Adrian Ryan's caravan touring page mentions someone looking for property minders (house sitters) with their own van accomodation for a few weeks.
If this is of interest to you.

http://www.australiancaravantouring.com.au/new.htm

Best wishes

Norm.
AnswerID: 7977

Sponsored Links