One for moving maps gurus :)

Submitted: Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 23:23
ThreadID: 22180 Views:1733 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm new to this so be gentle :))
Have older copy of oziexplorer, 3.9. Have Natmap mosaic, 2003. Have exported the big map into oziexplorer and it tells me a trip to the shop involves going o/s. (China I think:). Ok, so I calibrate it as best I can and its still way out. Ahh, batch file for calibrating it is availiable. Makes nice subdirectory with some calib files. Moving explorer then says can't find file...hmm..maybe wrong name ? Has to be called same as calibration file I guess.
This is a lot of hassle. Is there an easier way ? Delete the lot and start again ?

TIA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 23:32

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 23:32
Footy thats why I use Discover Aus Streets and Tracks.

Oziexplorer is a great program but in my view it takes a lot of time and hassle to get it set up and working well.
I don't have that time to spend so I just turn the Magellan product on and it runs, easy as.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107316

Follow Up By: Pluto - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:24

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:24
And then you're stuck with a single map that may not have the detail that you want. Have a look in the archives, you'll see that most users that have both programs installed preffer using Ozi. If you ar not going to take the time to learn it, then you're only short changing yourself.

Remember, this forum is a great place to get basic info on the use of OziExplorer. Ask the questions and you'll get the answers.
FollowupID: 364330

Reply By: pjchris - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 23:54

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 23:54
The Natmap 2003 file can be imported simply by selecting the import ecw map in the load manu.

It will create the calibration file and work perfectly in moving map. Mine did.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107318

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 00:34

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 00:34
You need to edit the .map file to reflect the correct path to the image file. This can be done with a simple text editor or by using the built in editor contained within oziexplorer.... file/change image file name path and drive. Early versions didn't have this feature...not sure about your version. If you haven't got the correct .map file you may find yourself revisiting China though :)

Or as suggested above simply import and a correct .map file will be created. The image file has the georeferencing data contained within the image header.
AnswerID: 107322

Follow Up By: Pluto - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:12

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:12
Importing the map image file can have some pitfalls. I have found from experience that the standards of the calibration notation in the .ecw files is not as strict as the OziExplorer import function expects. This can have some strange effects on the latitude in the calibration.

You'll find that one of the calibration points is correct and one has been transposed into the northern hemisphere. I can't recal the exact relationship between the latitudes of the calibration points but the arithmatic needed to correct it is very simple (A subrtraction and change the hemisphere setting).
FollowupID: 364336

Follow Up By: Pluto - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:15

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:15
It'll still be easier to try Mad Dogs ideas.
FollowupID: 364337

Follow Up By: Pluto - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:16

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:16
Whoops... Utemad's ideas.

Sorry about that.
FollowupID: 364338

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:39

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:39
Get the .map files off the Ozi website and put them in the same directory as the Natmap mosaic file. Works first time, every time.

While you are on the Ozi site download the latest version of Ozi. Download it, then install it. You won't need to re-enter your code.

All that should take less than 5 mins to get you on your way.
AnswerID: 107332

Follow Up By: Pluto - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:17

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:17
Footloose,

Utemad is right on the money, on all three points.

There is an alternative, considering that you have already copied the map image and the downloaded map calibration files to you HD. From the File menu in Ozi, select "Change Image Filename, Path & Drive".

Using the second section of the window, titled "Change Image File Path for All Maps in Selected Folder". Enter the path to your Mosaic map calibration files in the first field and the path to your image files in the second field (There are browse buttons on each field) and click the button in the same section... Done
FollowupID: 364329

Sponsored Links