bathurst bay

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:24
ThreadID: 22185 Views:2730 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Was reading the forums on Bathurst head does anyone know if the road is open yet we are heading up also around the 6th may
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: boshie - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 10:10

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 10:10
IT SHOULD BE OPEN BUT TO MAKE SURE RING LAKEFIELD NP
ON 40603271 THEY WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU.
BOSHIE
AnswerID: 107352

Follow Up By: hopefull - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 13:46

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 13:46
Bathurst bay we are towing a boat and trailor through have you been there before if so do think we will have problems
FollowupID: 364302

Reply By: boshie - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 13:53

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 13:53
you will have no problem towing a boat there is a couple of sand stretches There were detours around them when we went a couple of years ago. But Bathurst Bay is a beautiful spot the fishing is great. Just do not go swimming there beware the tiger sharks & crocodiles. Just take the normal precautions & you'll be fine. There's plenty of fresh water in a creek away from the beach. Are you travelling with others! You will have a good time we did 3 years running.

Boshie
AnswerID: 107384

Follow Up By: hopefull - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:37

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:37
Boshie thanks for that information
No we are travelling with friends
will be very careful not into sharks or crocs will have eyes in the back of my head.
So where did you fish most of the time in the rivers or ocean
Again thanks for the info
Lynda
FollowupID: 364332

Reply By: friar - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 22:16

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 22:16
Hi Hopefull
I will be arriving at bathurst headland on 1st may depending on road conditions,camping at boat bay,just around the headland from the old resort,see you there.
Friar
AnswerID: 107460

Reply By: Bros - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 23:06

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 23:06
hopefull,
Where are you actually going. Bathurst Head as in the thread or Bathurst Bay as in the heading. Two different places, same area, but a fair way apart.
Reputedly no water at Bathurst Head, but plenty at Bathurst Bay.
Lot of good camp sites at Bathurst Bay, either in the Cape Melville National Park or just out of it on Kalpowar land.
Fishing is done in creeks on the western end, on the beach in front of your camp or at Cape Melville itself. (Stay out of the green zone)
Oysters at the Cape.
I have been in parties that have towed boats in on off road boat trailers and normal boat trailers. Tipped the off road boat trailer on it's side, (driver error) and broken the tow bar on the normal boat trailer. Two years ago one of our party towed a 17 ft tinny in on a normal boat trailer, loaded up, with no problems. Last year i towed my semi (as described by the manufacturer) off road C/T in no problems.
As Boshie says there are a couple of sand patches that can get chopped up pretty bad but some times you can get around detours.
Phone numbers are the one Boshie quotes, or (07)4069 5777 = Cooktown Rangers.
(07) 4060 3319 = Kalpowar traditional owners. I have never had any luck with the last one.
Last year we camped about 300 metres west of where that croc attack took place. When we were there people were camping a lot closer to the water than the ones in the attack. Keep your eyes open at all times, let common sense prevail and hopefully you will have a safe and good time.
The sunsets are excellent looking across the bay toward the Flinders Group of islands. We are going back in early August, all things being equal.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107467

Follow Up By: Austravel - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:48

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:48
Hi Bros,

I was up there about 10 yrs ago and intend heading up there at the end of May. We stayed on the beach at Cape Melville from memory about half way along the beach under some large shady trees. I've heard many times that there is some areas up there that you don't have to pay to stay ie not on NP. Is this what you allude to with the Kalpower section???? If so any chance you can tell me were it is you can free camp up there. Hope to check out the whole area this time.

Thanks
FollowupID: 364399

Reply By: Bros - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 11:38

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 11:38
Austravel,
When you first arrive at the beach on the access road you have a choice which part of the Bay you want to camp at. Straight ahead across a little bit of mud flat or around the side of it takes you to the Kalpowar end or turn right and continue along behind the beach in the scrub for another 5/10 k's, across your fresh water stream and onto the beach on the National Park end.
On the Kalpowar end as you come off the small piece of mudflat there is a sign and everything to the right of the sign is National Park.
As far as i know the ownership of Kalpowar and who gets what in the carveup is yet to be decided by the Qld Government.
Definitely a beautiful place a place you never want to leave.
Cheers,
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107522

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 13:20

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 13:20
Bros,

Thanks for the info, will be up there early June, can't wait. I've been wanting to head back since the last vist many years ago. I'm sure with a boat etc you could spend a good month or two checking out the area. Just need the $$ to do so.
FollowupID: 364566

Reply By: Bros - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:17

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:17
Austravel,
The only problem staying up the western end is the occasional sandy or two, but they only seem to be there early morning or late afternoon. That is if the prevailing 20/60 knot wind isn't blowing.
Cheers,
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107716

Follow Up By: Austravel - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 08:39

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 08:39
Thanks, if there's sandies I'll probably not stay there. Have enough of them around my local haunts so don't want to put up with them on a holiday. Thank for the info.
FollowupID: 364654

Reply By: friar - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 19:40

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 19:40
Hi Hopefull you may already know ,the ansering service at Lakefield said the road to bathurst headland is open with extreme caution,this was on friday, you probably wont have any problems by May as it dries out pretty quick, provided they get no more rain.
Friar
AnswerID: 107956

Sponsored Links