Windy Harbour

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 13:06
ThreadID: 22191 Views:2285 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all! Heading down to windy harbour for the long weekend... any ideas of things to see/places to go while we're down there?

Looking for good fishing spots in particular and what the terrain is like as I hear a lot of spots can't be accessed without a 4x4...

Cheers

Troy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 19:14

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 19:14
Troy it's been a few years since I was down that way but we went into Fish Creek. One lane track in and a steep sand decent down to the creek and then onto the coast. Track comes out above the cliffs with a steel ladder down to the beach. We went about this time of the year and the only problem we had was a large puddle basically at the start of the track. On the way in the water depth was only wheel depth (was in a mates Range Rover), it started to drizzle for the rest of the day and on the way out the water level in the puddle was 6 inches over the bonnet. The puddle must have been part of a huge depression and drainage area.

Otherwise a real nice spot and secluded.

Enjoy yourself

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 107426

Follow Up By: motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 00:29

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 00:29
I think i heard somewhere that the ladder was removed - some authority considered it dangerous.
FollowupID: 364373

Reply By: bob - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 19:47

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 19:47
Hi troy
There is plenty of fishing spots that only require 2wd down at Windy, although they do open up if you have a 4by. Easy access spots include Salmon beach and fishing from the cliffs. If you want to go for a drive on the beach head down to Gardiner River , which is 20 min heading east from the boat ramp. Good fishing from the rocks there, with salmon likely at this time of year. Easiest way is to talk to locals or the care taker. There are heaps of 4by tracks, nothing extreme though
Best of luck
AnswerID: 107430

Follow Up By: Member - Troy - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 15:25

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 15:25
Sounds good thanks mate hopefully the rain will hold off and it will be a good weekend :)
FollowupID: 364583

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 23:20

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 23:20
Head east through the Windy Harbour settlement and there's a sandy track running parallel to the beach through the dunes. Dunes are covered with thick coastal heath, not the classic sandy type. Track is pretty firm and easy going but can be a bit narrow and scratchy in places. Along here there are quite a few places you can access the beach, also some fishing shacks along the way. BTW, are you staying at the WH campground? You'll find it quite good, wide open area with plenty of grass and a big pile of fire wood. We called in there around New Year and noticed that they had a nice new and well appointed amenities block. Can be pretty windy there (obviously with a name like Winday Hbr) so try to get a spot towards the back of the campground where there are a few bushes for a bit of protection. Have a nice time.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 107468

Follow Up By: Member - Troy - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 15:25

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 15:25
Im not sure what the name of the place we're staying at is but i'm told it's a big camping area and is quite popular so i'm assuming that it's the same one your talking about :)

Whats the go with open fires? Allowed or not?

Ill keep the tent positioning in mind ;) cheers :D

Troy
FollowupID: 364582

Sponsored Links