camper trailers at Bendethera Valley – Deua National Park

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:02
ThreadID: 22196 Views:3775 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone tell me if the Bendethera ValleyDeua National Park is suitable to get camper trailer into as i have only seen photos of tent camping, i have been told the track into the valley gets pretty hairy, but you "should" be able to get a trailer in there......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan S (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:24

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:24
I know it has been done. The track in from the coast would be easier with a trailer. The track to Bendethra from inland would be a lot harder. There are some switchbacks on the track that would be very difficult to navigate with a trailer, difficult enough with one.

Send a message to Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. I know he has done it with a trailer but found the going tough.
AnswerID: 107400

Reply By: Penguin (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:26

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:26
Hi Mark

You can get a trailer in to Bendethra if you enter via Moruya. I would definitely not advise attempting it from Braidwood as there are some tight hairpins.

You may need low range especially if it rains.

Mike
AnswerID: 107401

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:47

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:47
As Alan said , I have been in from Moruya and out on the western route towing a Trak Shak . The track in from Moruya is easy with a trailer in the dry if you have decent treads on your tyres - it is steep and you need a bit of traction going up .
If it rains while you are in there you could have trouble getting back out .

Going west is tough with loose dirt , extra steep grades and a shocker of a switchback to get a trailer turned and a drop of 500 feet if you make a mistake .

I would take mine in again from Moruya and I would leave the same way . It is a huge area with a beautiful river . When you go , take some time to find a good camp site away from the crowds .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 107403

Reply By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 20:27

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 20:27
Just make sure you dont destroy the place ok... :-)
Its my fav place in NSW. Next time i go down, im gonna add 1 day to explore the caves while down there.
Enjoy it ...its beautiful
AnswerID: 107438

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 21:08

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 21:08
Hey Mark,

Well what can we say about valley it is such a great place to visit and has so much to offer. The track from the coast with a properly setup rig and trailer will have no problems in the dry. The switchback just above the valley on the way out on the western track is a pearla.......do yourself a favour if towing a trailer come and go the other way.

This is one of my favourite place to camp and as stated elsehwere take you time and explore for a campsite and don't just pick the first one you see as there are heaps to choose from and tons of space. Cross the river in various places and you discover more sites as well on the other side.

It goes without saying leave it as you found it and report others who are just doing the wrong thing as it is the minority that will cause this place to be shut and I warn that shutting us responsible 4WDrivers out has been on the greeny agenda for some time. Also if wet the tracks can be slippery and if in doubt do a recky without trailer.

I would also suggest once setup and if time permits travelling the Merricumbene frie trail as a day trip....particularly if you like a good track. This can be a bunch of fun and I have traversed in all sorts of weather and it changes everytime I take the rig down this graded, rocky, slippery sucker....lol.

Regards,

Stuart M.

AnswerID: 107447

Reply By: Mark L - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 22:29

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 22:29
Thanks for all the feed back, we have decided to leave the trailer at home and tent it for the weekend, sounds like a great spot, really looking forward to dicovering the area, as for the responsible driving, i am a member of an affiliated 4wd club (Nepean District) and everywhere we travel as a club we resect the environment as "leave it as we found it", that we its there for all to us in future..

AnswerID: 107462

Reply By: Member - Brad (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 00:42

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 00:42
Sounds like this might be a good spot for an explor oz get together one weekend in the near future. Anyone interested.
AnswerID: 107478

Reply By: brett - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 13:48

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 13:48
Got my trak shak in and out via Moruya no worries, even started to rain on the way out and had rained the night before. went for a drive on the western road and those hairpins would be nasty with the trailer on the back but not impossible but wouldn't bother unless you just want a serious challenge.
AnswerID: 107538

Sponsored Links