Conversion of a Nissan Terrano

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 20:19
ThreadID: 22205 Views:5572 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I live in WA and I would need some direction/assistance with a conversion of an imported Nissan Terrano 2.7 turbo diesel (automatic) to a petrol engine. Has someone done this? If so what engine has been installed? I know that the same model is shipped with a V6 engine, but I cannot get anything concrete in terms of what to do etc. I use this vehicle for work purposes doing +- 700Km/week.

My ultimate goal is to convert to gas, to reduce my fuel/maintenance expenses.

Thanking everyone in advance

GB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: theshadows - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 07:37

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 07:37
sell it and buy a petrol one. It will cost over 10 thousand to convert and you can buy a new car for less. the VG3.0 otor is orth over 2000 dollars second hand, computer is worth over 500 dollars add 150 for the ignition unit and 200 for a second hand exhaust system....... wiring, aircond, bell housing, starter motor, tail shafts,fueltank,hoses, pumps,wireing for the fuelpump,fuel pump computer,ignition switch and wireing,aircleaners.

or stay with the oiler and tune the pump up and back your right foot off and its cheaper then petrol!

shadow
AnswerID: 107492

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 17:41

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 17:41
Good idea but .......
I did a quick (very quick) calculation and it would take about 15 years to start saving money on gas fuel. That's allowing only about $5000 for all the conversions including the gas conversion (I doubt you would get it all that cheap).
You would save around/under $10 per week (using gas compared to diesel). Don't forget that you would use more gas than petrol for the same number of K's
You should be getting around 12-13 l/100K's on diesel (around town) and around 10l/100K's on the highway.
On petrol you would probably get around 15l/100K's (just a guess)
And on gas maybe 16-17 l/100K's

Just as a conservative comparo......
$5000 ÷ $10 = 500 weeks = 19.2 years

Not really worth it, is it?

Even getting a newer vehicle (just to get better economy) is sometimes not worth it when you take into account the interest on a loan, depreciation of the vehicle, extra insurance etc...etc...

Oskar

AnswerID: 107567

Reply By: bosco - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 18:30

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 18:30
Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies, yeah, I thoguht as much. Diesel has hit the $1.20 mark here in Perth and it's really a pain. When I bought the car, diesel was 67c/l, 5yrs ago. Anyway, I drive as if I have an egg between my foot and the accelerator, but I can only get 540Km on a tank, which gives me more or less what you have calculated.

I have 273,000 Km on the clock, have replaced the turbo, replaced the Injector pump which set me back $3,000. Other than that, the car hasn't given me any trouble, besides replacing the battery every 2yrs. I do the servicing myself. Now, do the injectors need to be re-calibrated? What else do you guys suggest to better fuel consumption??

Thanks again to all for the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it

regards

GB

AnswerID: 107575

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 00:25

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 00:25
Although I agree with others here about it not being worth it, I bought a Nissan Navara dualcab which was born a 2.7 diesel but had a transplanted 3.0 V6. It was the one mentioned above but was tuned to run with a carby not fuel injection. It went like the clappers but was not very good on fuel and the clutch wasn't very happy with all that power, plus it had overheating problems when offroad.

The guy who did the conversion worked for AGL in Bayswater. They import second hand bits from Japan - motors, bodies etc;

Not only do you have to change everything mentioned above, but because the diesel donk is heavier than the petrol, the nose will sit a bit higher aswell.
AnswerID: 107982

Reply By: bosco - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 14:36

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 14:36
Hi there,

thanks for the interest in my question. Yep, so looks like I am stuck with the diesel. About the overheating, I noticed that too, but I discovered that they have placed the oil radiator in front of the water one, not a clever move. I have actually removed the thermostat so that there is a proper flow of water (anti-freeze rather). For us here in WA, the temperature is never so severe in winter, all I do in the morning, is starting the engine about 10min before I leave home. It also overheats in summer 40 degrees +, when the aircon is turned on.

Thanks to all for the help and replies, all the best

Regards

GB
AnswerID: 108003

Sponsored Links