Etrex Legend GPS

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:34
ThreadID: 22218 Views:2327 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Am looking at purchasing the Etrex Legend and would appreciate feedback from any other owners of this model. It comes with the Pacific Highway base map which as the phase states, 'basic'. I am aware of Metroguide software which sounds great but I also have a boat which should also find the Legend quite handy. Has anyone used the unit on water and if so, what additional software did you purchase and what did the unit display without additional software (whilst on water).

Thanks,

Prento
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mal58 - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:49

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:49
Prento,
I have been looking at the same unit. I don't have one yet, but I was talking to a mate who has one and he does a bit of boating as well as FWD'ing and he seems to think it is a good unit.

He has Metroguide but obviously he doesn't use that when out in the water.

If you are after a unit that is a bit more biased to boating then I think the GPS72 has that.

There is more information on GPSOZ and the Johnny Appleseed sites. (No I don't work for either).

Let me know what you decide.

Cheers,
Mal58
AnswerID: 107533

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 18:39

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 18:39
Hi
I have got one, but found it very limited on its own, So it now sits in the cupboard and is replaced with a megellan Meridian gold,

Clive
FollowupID: 364456

Follow Up By: paj - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 23:08

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 23:08
So if it is sitting in the cupboard are you interested in selling it?? I just want a simple one that will give me lat and long.

Paj
FollowupID: 364506

Follow Up By: Elsewhere9 - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 21:16

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 21:16
Hi Clive,

What were the limitations of the Legend on it's own? How is the Meridian better?

I am thinking of getting a Legend.

Cheers,
Greg

FollowupID: 364617

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 23:52

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 23:52
Hi ,

Dont get me wrong, its just they didnt suit my purpose. the mapping on them was very limited basicly just main roads, but hooked up to the oziexplorer on the lap top for the moving map they worked great.

I prefered one with greater mapping details and 4wd tracks etc and more options,

but to get that the magellan travelers pack was about $600 more then the legend, so it all depends on what suits you and how much you wanna pay.

Ozzie
FollowupID: 364631

Follow Up By: Elsewhere9 - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 20:35

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 20:35
Thanks Clive.

My intention is to use the Legend in conjuction with Oxexplorer software, so it sounds like it will do the job. Mainly want to use it to upload tracks and record where we have been.

I also like the price.

Cheers,
Greg
FollowupID: 364748

Reply By: Troll83 - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 07:33

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 07:33
I baught a legend couple of months ago and you have to buy the metro guide software with it to get any good value out of it....I used it yesterday to search for a street I was driving to found it and mapped to it. It's not a turn by turn type gps but it does show the steets and shows you where to go....it gives me a very good idea of where to drive but not 100%...if you want something for just roads then it's prob not the thing you want but it's a great little all rounder I think for the price
AnswerID: 107771

Follow Up By: Prento - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 13:25

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 13:25
I'll have to drop out to a retailer and see what it can do. I know there's software I can purchase like the Metroguide and Trip and Waypoint Manager, which isn't a bad option for $50 odd bucks as it also gives the opportunity to use the laptop, but I was also thinking of Bluechart maps.

The retailers are always good but it's the user I like to speak to as they always now how the unit suited them once they purchased it. I would just hope that if I took it out in the boat, it at least shows me something on the screen.
FollowupID: 364790

Reply By: MartinCop - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 00:07

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 00:07
Hello Prento

I have used an Etrex Legend for for a few years now. It worked well in the tank bag of my BMW tourer in a round Oz trip. It worked well across the Simpson in my LC 100 RV.

There is a heap of gear on the internet to download. If you want waypoints and tracks for most of the 4WD tracks in Oz go to this site: http://www.outback-guide.de/Guide/Tracks/Zentrum/mmZ01.htm and look for "Weitere GPS-Daten Waypoints und Tracks gibts hier." A knowledge of German is helpful but not essential.

I have linked it to my HP Jornada 540 series PDA (needs a NULL modem available from Expansys as mentioned above) and also a 12V power lead. Works fine with Hema Desert Desert Tracks and Fullers street directory. I also purchased NATMAP Raster Mapsheets and replaced the default map with MapsSource MetroGuide.

There are perhaps a couple of limitations. I don't think you can plug an external antenna into the Etrex series. It gets hot under the windshield and I note that the rubber side cladding is lifting. The other limitation relates to the PDA rather than the GPS - the visibility of the map in full sunlight using my somewhat outdated PocketPC is poor.

Incidentally, in the round Oz trip which didn't take me too long - particularly in the NT- I was somewhat surprised to notice that the GPS and odometer distance readings were out by 30k/1000K. This is probably due to the track plot cutting corners as the bikes odomoter was very accurate. This would depend a bit on what speed you travel at and should not be a problem in most 4WD's or boats.

Never tried it on water but I don't think the sattelites care too much where you are. I think they say that it will withstand a certain international standard of water immerison but I am not too sure whether mine would be very water proof at the moment.

Being so small it's great for hiking, biking, motoring and boating.

Go for it.

Martin

AnswerID: 107981

Sponsored Links