Landcruiser hj45 vs hj47 - 3.6 or 4.0L engine

Hi, does anyone have some information/advice about going with a 1979 3.6L Landcruiser hj45 traytop as opposed to stepping up a year or 2 to the hj47 with a 4.0L engine. (redbook.com.au lists the hj47 with a 4.0L as starting in 1981).

I'm just concerned that for the weight etc its carrying, a 3.6L may be a bit gutless and hence less of longuevity in the engine stakes. Also is there anything to look for particularly with these 2 models in terms of problems etc.

Thanks,
praccus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: royce - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00
The main problem I have with these is that they need a fifth gear! By now they have all got rust, so how well has that been managed. I have an HJ47 troopie [well son drives it now]. I ended up putting a 350 chev in it which was okay until gas prices came closer to petrol. Son has a BJ42 shortie which does allright. They're Landcruisers, so really they don't have problems other than wear and tear. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 7886

Reply By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00
praccus, Go with the 47, as the 45 are pretty slow, albeit quite economical at moderate speeds. The 2H engine is a bit better, and turbo well if in good order. Check out cooling system as they crack heads readily in hands of d...heads and hotweather. The inline fuel pumps don't seem to have the problems that the later rotary pumps do, but then they haven't got the responsiveness either. Spring shackles are small and wear out quickly, the rear spring hangers on front springs can self destruct under hard use, and the king pins need plenty of TLC, and grease, otherwise they snap upper studs, when the bearings collapse. Makes for lively ride! As Royce said look for rust, otherwise a good truck.
AnswerID: 7890

Reply By: mudgutz - Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00
hey mate if you can afford it look for a 1984 model hj47.........they are the last of em as they changed to 75 series in 85......advantages ...
tanks gone from under seat to under car......disc brakes on the 84 model and late 84 actually had a five speed in it a stated above most of em had four speeds ......so if you can find one i think the disc brakes and five speed with a 2h is a good thing .......look out for the rust
AnswerID: 7895

Reply By: andy - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
Hi, I had a 1984 hj47 with the 4 litre 2H motor and it was a great truck. I got 600 ks out of a tank and had no problems with the vehicle over 3 years. Main problem was the fact that it revved its ring out at 100 kmh. It was the last month befor the change to the 75 series but only had a 4 speed box. I looked into all possible solutions to change the gear ratios and to get it quieter and more economical on the highway. Gearbox change to a 5 speed was about $3500 and had to have both drive shaft lengths changed as well. Diff ratio changes were about $2500 too. The best and cheapest solution was to fit 33 inch tyres. This dropped the engine speed about 450 rpm which in effect matched the final drive of a 5 speed. The bonus was that I had greater ground clearance off road and that 1st gear was actually more usable. Standard 1st gear is so low that it wasn't good for too much apart from off road crawling so the tyre change fixed this. The best price I got for a set of 9.5x15x33 BFG All Terrains was $220.00 each at Competition tyres in Murrumbeena in Melbourne. Speedo reading was a fair way out and I did 80,000kms on the tyres and when I sold the truck I reckon they still had 60% tread left. With these tyres you will need to make sure that the springs are riding at their designed height so as you get unrestricted suspension travel. Parts are available everywhere, windscreens cheap, suspension tough, get a good (loud) sound system as cabin noise can be high. I fixed this with 2 layers of sound deadening underfelt. Most other maintenance problems are the same as all cruisers (ball joint seals, diff leaks, bearings etc etc...) They last forever if there is no rust. Andy
AnswerID: 7922

Reply By: praccus - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for the information fellas. I got one more question if anyone's still listening, what sorta mileage can you expect from a new diesel motor as opposed to putting in a newly reconditioned one.

I know there are heaps of variables in between I'm just interested in the difference in peoples opinions.
AnswerID: 7999

Sponsored Links