fishing at daly river NT

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 12:03
ThreadID: 22256 Views:4610 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me any good camping & fishing spots on the daley river. We will be up there in August so the fishing should be pretty good we hope.
We carry a toilet & shower so the camping spot can be pretty rough!! We have 8 weeks untill we leave Counting down the days hours seconds!!!!!!!!!!
Whoopee
Boshie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chaz - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 12:15

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 12:15
Boshie,
There is an excellent caravan park at Wooliana. Turn right just before you come to the river. It has all ammenities and a boat ramp if needed, but if you like roughing it, you can go to the end of the road and camp for free by the creek. Just look out for croc's.

Chaz
http://members.bettanet.net.au/~conody/index.htm
AnswerID: 107663

Follow Up By: boshie - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 14:17

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 14:17
We like to have space to our selves so we will proberly share with the crocs the end of the road camping area!!
Not that we mind paying a caravan park for space it's just that they pack them in like sardines. Not enough room to swing a cat, so to speak.
Boshie
FollowupID: 364573

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 14:48

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 14:48
No one is going to tell you where the fishing spots are........Most places will provide you with a river map the rest is up to you and your ability to extract intelligence from other anglers. The serious won't tell you the good spots.

I wouldn't get too excited about fishing the river at that time of the year. We were there April 2004 after a good wet and the river was up and easy navigating, good fishing, etc. plenty of run off.

Went back in June and the river had dropped substantially. We got stuck on sand bars and were trying the navigate in 1-1.5 metres of water at best, it was not the same river... no fish either, not even yabbies....

They have had a bad wet this year so there is no run off and bad for barra, holding what it has foor too long. The Daly is best fished immediately after the wet.

But if you still want to try Wooliana is just one of many places where you can stay on the Daly (although it has one of the best boat ramps) or Banyan Farm . There are also a couple of places on the other side of the river as well which are quite nice such as the Mango Farm (own boat ramp, very quiet) or Perrys on the Daly (basic, quiet and cheap and have their own mooring pontoon).

I would you to Yahoo and type in Daly River and see what comes up most of the places have their own web sites with pictures, etc.

Wizard
PradoTD
Gold Coast (formerly of Darwin)
AnswerID: 107678

Follow Up By: boshie - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 14:58

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 14:58
I realise no good fisherman are going to give us exact spots but I thought there might be a few kind hearted people. That would do as you have done & reply about the state of the river & nobody can say wether the fish will bite or not , but at least give us a idea of wether we could ( as excellent fisher people) maybe catch a feed. We are mainly going for a trip sightseeing with as much fishing included as possible. I am not really into river fishing I like reef fishing better. Nobody has said wether there are muddies either or are we too far up river from the mouth for them?
Mrs Boshie
FollowupID: 364577

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 15:12

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 15:12
At that time of the year the the river will be down, unless you have a boat and plenty of fuel to head further out toward the river mouth. The bad bit you have to pass through is a sharp bend in the river that flows quite quicky and the bottom is moving all the time so navigation is a pain. If the water is down you may not get through toward the river mouth. The river is fresh water at the crossing so there are no mud crabs.

I suggest you try and get your hands on the Northern Fish Finder, it provides all info on all major rivers, etc in the NT and Nth Queensland. Most tackle shops should be able to put you onto it.

But enjoy the drive and the sight seeing.............

I would try other areas at that time of the year such as the rivers and inlets near Dundee, Shady Camp or alike.

AnswerID: 107689

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 22:51

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 22:51
Boshie,

There's some nice bush campsites overlooking the river near Oolloo Crossing. To find them just follow a map to the crossing and look for tracks on the RHS just before you actually cross the river (assuming you're approaching from the east). There's some quite nice campsites of varying sizes spread out long the river. Can't comment on the fishing though, we only saw it in flood and late in teh dry season when the water level was low.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 107739

Reply By: Dave ....Adelaide - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 01:02

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 01:02
Hi Boshie
I was at the daly in 99 and again in 01, in 99 we camped just past the daly river caravan park ....free camping....lots of others camped right on the river bank just b4 the crossing ,beware of crocs mate , there's heaps of big buggers up there , as for the fishing the publican at the daly river pub was only to glad to point us in the right direction....maybe it was cause we drank heaps of grog there ...lol....anyway mate you'll find plenty of nice free spots to camp at , and if i can be of any assistance to you just send me an email at borgy052002@hotmail.com

Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 107917

Reply By: old F - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:14

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:14
Another place worth checking out is Perrys on the other side of the river. Dick only caters for small numbers. There is river fishing and also a billabong nearby that is stocked with barra and lizards. Have seen the evidence of two large barra caught in the last two weeks. Fishing could be a bit slow by August as I hope to get my share in July. Maybe our paths will cross.
Check out www.dalyriver.com
AnswerID: 108466

Sponsored Links