Setting STAUN deflators

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 08:55
ThreadID: 22281 Views:2713 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Does any forumites have a tip for setting staun defaltors. It appears you need three hands to hold the tip and the adjustor to set the lock ring. I've played with it and get the setting just right, screw up the lock ring- retest to find it's changed setting.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 09:09

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 09:09
G'day signman,

Did mine over the weekend. I have 2 sets (1@18PSI and the other @28/30 PSI). Basically followed their instructions. Let a tyre down to the required pressure and measure with a reliable guage. Then one by one fit the stauns and and screw top till activated then lock with ring.

I then did all the tyres when on the beach using all the stauns and give or take a pond they were all the same when measured.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 107781

Reply By: Member - Alan- Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 10:31

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 10:31
My deflators were set very erractically when I got them, so I reset them as per the instructions and they're reading a bit lower than I thought they should, but it's OK.
I'll get another set as others have and set them for corrugations, which hopefully will stop the LR getting it's guts shaken out.
Just use the spare set at the pressure you want Signman and with a bit of fiddling you'll do it.
Alan.
AnswerID: 107792

Reply By: Member - Rohan - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 11:34

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 11:34
I have 14 Stauns - 2 each at 7 different settings - for the vehicle and trailer.

They are all set pretty accurately - some are 0.5 psi out but I couldn't improve on that.

I followed the instructions but soon learned to set the tyre pressure at 1 psi higher than that to which you want the Stauns set. This seems to offset the loss of pressure suffered while you fiddle with the Staun. Once set, I applied a smear of silicon between the adjusting nut and locking ring and they haven't budged since. It took a while and sometimes, after checking on another tyre, I had to redo some of them but eventually got them all pretty well spot-on.

You need to be very careful that you don't drop them. Not only can dust and dirt stuff up the valve, but you can actually bend the pin ever so slightly and that will mean the they will become inaccurate.

Also, despite the construction material, mine have still suffered a little corrosion damage so an occassional light spay with WD40 or the like will keep the release valve working freely and properly.

Once set up, you'll never go back to crouching by each wheel for 5 minutes :)
AnswerID: 107797

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:27

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:27
Aaaah, good ol' silicone, my favroute prouct in the world!! I use it for everything, I did the same thing to my idle adjustment on the surf as the lock nut kept lossening off dropping the engine idle right down, whacked some silicone on it never been a problem since!

I must admit I was a bit half assed adjusting my stauns and they are a pound out here and there but I don't really give a crap because I have two set around 16psi and two set around 29psi. I always use the same one on the two front tyres and the other on the two back tyres so back and front may differ a little but side to side is exactly the same.
I just whacked them on adjusted them a bit locked them in and then measured it. It was around what I wanted so though, she'll be right mate. Coloured the two 29psi ones with a red permant marker and it's all good! ;-)
FollowupID: 364683

Follow Up By: Utemad - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 15:46

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 15:46
Hi Jeff,

Interesting to note that I use exactly the same method. So long as the front and rear are the same I am not terribly concerned.
FollowupID: 364704

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 06:57

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 06:57
!4 of them.
Not trying to sound dumb but why.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 364770

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 11:40

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 11:40
LOL Eric. No particular reason. It just turned out that way.

No-one could supply the set I wanted - the 6 pack for trailer owners - so Staun themselves supplied me with a set; then I decided that I needed a variety of pressures - at least 2 so I purchased a set cheaply ($50) from someone doing a stock clearance; and I won set.

Because I hadn't yet worked out the best pressures in various terrains for my (then) new Coopers, I set 2 each to 6 different pressures that I was commonly using - 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 and 32 psi. The last set I left at their default 6 psi (not something I'd ever use).

And that's how it has remained .... and, believe it or not, I still use all those different pressures in different circumstances.
FollowupID: 364785

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:52

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:52
Damn!@ where is Truckster when you need him.
AnswerID: 107804

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 15:43

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 15:43
..... ummmmm....... what are you exactly doing?

I must admit, I found them very easy to set, and I tried each one once afterwards, and they were all within..... say..... 1/2 psi.

Can't quite figure out what you've done.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 107830

Follow Up By: signman - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:15

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:15
G'day Wolfie
Wots happening is...ok so I set the pressure ok screwing the adjusting ring up and down..and get the pressure just right..but when tightening the lock ring..it seems to screw the adjuster just enough to adjust the set pressure.....(does that sound irish to you???)
FollowupID: 364709

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:01

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:01
I guess, that if the deflator is screwed TIGHTLY, to the valve stem, then that should leave you with one hand to hold the adjuster, whilst the other is tightening the locking ring?

I am trying to work from memory now, and I must admit, it WAS a while ago, and I had managed to down a couple of drinks, which also might affect the care factor.....

..... now, what WERE those pressures again?????

Wolfie
FollowupID: 364722

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 21:48

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 21:48
On a slightly different note has anyone noticed that if you pull off the bitumen when you have been travelling at highway speeds for a while and deflate as you hit the firetrails, next morning after everything cools down in the evening the tyres are bagged out to the max.

What increase in pressure happens on the highway as things warm up??

I set my Stauns at 24-26 psi and dropped the tyres at the start of my last high country trip. The next morning I put quite a few psi back in at camp.

I don't mind I'm just curious.

Dave
AnswerID: 107965

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 07:07

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 07:07
Increase would depend on tyre, road, speed, ambient temperature.

I see about 3 psi change on the highway.
FollowupID: 364823

Reply By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:50

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:50
Gday

I went to a BP garage and used their digital tyre line, worked well for me ,

Clive
AnswerID: 108152

Sponsored Links